China Thread

Gask

Lord Nagafen Raider
18d 5h 29m
Reactions
2,182 536 0 0
When Chinese hackers declared war on the rest of us
An interesting article taken from excerpts of a newly published book detailing several instances of Chinese cyber attacks abroad for censorship purposes.
Many thought the internet would bring democracy to China. Instead it empowered rampant government oppression, and now the censors are turning their attention to the rest of the world.

Weaver is a network-security expert at the International Computer Science Institute, a research center in Berkeley, California. Together with other researchers, he helped pinpoint the targets of the attack: two GitHub-hosted projects connected to GreatFire.org, a China-based anti-censorship organization. The two projects enabled users in China to visit both GreatFire’s website and the Chinese-language version of the New York Times, both of which are normally inaccessible to users in China. GreatFire, dubbed a “foreign anti-Chinese organization” by the Cyberspace Administration of China, had long been a target of DDoS and hacking attacks, which is why it moved some of its services to GitHub, where they were nominally out of harm’s way.

Weaver and the Citizen Lab researchers found that not only was China blocking bits and bytes of data that were trying to make their way into China, but it was also channeling the flow of data out of China.

Whoever was controlling the Great Cannon would use it to selectively insert malicious JavaScript code into search queries and advertisements served by Baidu, a popular Chinese search engine. That code then directed enormous amounts of traffic to the cannon’s targets. By sending a number of requests to the servers from which the Great Cannon was directing traffic, the researchers were able to piece together how it behaved and gain insight into its inner workings. The cannon could also be used for other malware attacks besides denial-of-service attacks. It was a powerful new tool: “Deploying the Great Cannon is a major shift in tactics, and has a highly visible impact,” Weaver and his coauthors wrote.
Information on China's Belt and Road investments in Pakistan and that nation's subsequent looming debt crisis.

Aldarion

Trakanon Raider
7d 18h 52m
Reactions
2,679 168 0 0
I liked the video but he doesnt really explain why poverty led to these widespread behaviors in China but not other places.

Its fun watching him walk around making these scathing criticisms of Chinese culture as he walks by Chinese pedestrians who all just give him a second glance and walk on.

Chukzombi

Slayer of Kerafyrm
67d 15h 7m
Reactions
79,107 4,376 0 0
I liked the video but he doesnt really explain why poverty led to these widespread behaviors in China but not other places.

Its fun watching him walk around making these scathing criticisms of Chinese culture as he walks by Chinese pedestrians who all just give him a second glance and walk on.
I guess he inferred that being lower than dirt poor makes you less empathetic than more fortunate people.

Gask

Lord Nagafen Raider
18d 5h 29m
Reactions
2,182 536 0 0
It wasn't just poverty that did this, it was the destruction caused by the Cultural Revolution. When people are starving in the tens of millions and the traditional framework of a society is deliberately destroyed in favor of Maoist Communism then you end up with a dog eat dog world. Now on top of all that the rural communities which may have retained a sense of solidarity and a shared future are dying as their youth flood the cities to be used as cheap labor.

This situation bears some similarity to the West during its industrialization but the gap here between rich and poor is orders of magnitude more pronounced. Just like the world over people rely on family to be a bastion of sorts in a cutthroat world. The difference in China is that people are willing to poison each other or build infrastructure that will collapse in order to make a quick profit.

C-Milk's story about the girl who was caught in an explosion at a restaurant was a good example. The owner felt no sense of moral responsibility to make things right for having horribly burned a young woman's face. He didn't even offer to drive her to the hospital when the ambulance said they couldn't come for whatever reason; she instead had to be driven there, in agony on a motorcycle. But he did feel compelled to haunt her bedside in order to extract her signature for a waiver. He gave her $50 or something for her trouble.

Last edited:

Fogel

Lord Nagafen Raider
48d 22h 36m
Reactions
4,146 200 0 0
The Chinese were killing themselves for 1000's of years, and the only thing that stopped it was the Japanese nearly taking them out, and even after that, they nearly fractured again till communism forced them together

Gask

Lord Nagafen Raider
18d 5h 29m
Reactions
2,182 536 0 0
  • Gask

Gask

China orders death sentence for Canadian tourist amid tension over Canada’s detention of Huawei executive
A Chinese court has sentenced a Canadian man to death for drug smuggling, amid growing tensions between the countries over Canada’s detention of a Huawei executive. Robert Lloyd Schellenberg had originally been given a 15-year sentence after being found guilty in November, but prosecutors have now said the sentence was too lenient. Dalian Intermediate People’s Court in the northeast province of Liaoning retried Mr Schellenberg and handed down the death penalty, the court said in a brief statement on its website.

The case is likely to inflame relations between Beijing and Ottawa, which have been tense since Canada’s arrest of a Chinese executive at the request of the United States in December. America wants Ms Meng, the daughter of Huawei’s founder, extradited to face fraud charges. She is accused of using a subsidiary company to circumvent sanctions against Iran. It has been suggested Beijing is attempting to use Mr Schellenberg’s case as a bargaining chip with Canada in an effort to increase the pressure on the Canadian authorities.

Beijing has expressed dismay at Ms Meng’s arrest and has warned Canada of “severe consequences” if she is not repatriated. China has also detained two other Canadians who are reportedly suspected of “national security crimes”.

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
45d 36m
Reactions
27,606 5,488 0 0
  • Lanx

Lanx

I guess he inferred that being lower than dirt poor makes you less empathetic than more fortunate people.
This is white person thinking.

as in, you think you have to solve something by coming up with reasons.

You won't understand the mind of mainland Chinese, i don't even understand em, how could you white ppl?

Gask

Lord Nagafen Raider
18d 5h 29m
Reactions
2,182 536 0 0
  • Gask

Gask

Staff at a Chinese company are forced to CRAWL on the street after 'failing to hit their annual targets'
All of the crawling workers were female and they work for a company which sells beauty products, reported btime.com. The group were led by a male supervisor, who was walking while holding a large flag that bore the name of the firm. Two other workers were seen walking alongside the group while filming the extreme punishment. Police soon arrived at the scene after being informed of the group's behaviour, they demanded the leader of the team stop the punishment before issuing him a verbal warning.

It is reported that the company was ordered to halt business and carry out self-reflection by the local authorities. According to China's employment contract law, employers are not allowed to humiliate and give corporal punishment to workers. Furthermore, the employer shall be liable for compensation if any harm is done to the worker. Nevertheless, many Chinese companies have been known for carrying out public humiliation rituals as punishment, from crawling on the streets to worm-eating.

Last month, workers at a Chinese hair salon were forced to slap themselves in the face 100 times, eat raw chillies and run 10km because their work performance hadn't reached their boss's expectation. In November, employees at a home improvement firm in Zunyi, Guizhou province, were whipped with belts, forced to drink urine and eat insects after failing to reach their targets.
This isn't that uncommon apparently.

Chukzombi

Slayer of Kerafyrm
67d 15h 7m
Reactions
79,107 4,376 0 0

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
45d 36m
Reactions
27,606 5,488 0 0
  • Lanx

Lanx

ya'll tell me what this warm water thing is?

also the dishwasher

as for tiger balm? no i don't have it, i keep all "asian smells" in my basement pantry (herbs n stuff), also tiger balm, i guess we can say it's foofoo. However theres this balm that smells dank, that if i get a burn (like i'm so absent minded i open a 500degree oven and grab a cast iron pan bare handed), i can rub it on and i'll just have a stinging sensation and not look like a chernobyl victim.

Last edited:

AngryGerbil

PC NPC
<Donors Crew>
Reactions
17,635 1,034 0 0
ya'll tell me what this warm water thing is?

also the dishwasher
ADV China explains that cold water is bad for your 'chi' or something. It saps you of vitality, so you have to be sure to drink only warm water to maintain your magical energies. I think it's just a spook story invented to compensate for the fact that they hadn't invented refrigeration yet like their racially superior counterparts in the Western world.

atwakom

Trakanon Raider
5d 15h 5m
Reactions
1,838 566 0 0
The dishwasher thing is legit. I've never met an asian that uses their dishwasher - they all use it for storage like a little closet. It's amazing.

Lanx

Aten Ha Ra Slayer
45d 36m
Reactions
27,606 5,488 0 0
  • Lanx

Lanx

The dishwasher thing is legit. I've never met an asian that uses their dishwasher - they all use it for storage like a little closet. It's amazing.
i'll admit i don't use my dishwasher either, but i don't use it to store dishes.

the apts i've lived in, the dishwashers were weak. Now that i own my home, it's still the previous dishwasher and while it looks nice, its also weak.