China Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
27d 1h 5m
i remember watching this horror of a documentary w/ the wife
of course it's funny seeing this crazy old white man import an asian wife, she tries so hard to make it work even tho he's a shit tier old white guy. (obviously she agreed to be with him, cuz China is JUST THAT HORRIBLE)

But i remember he was asked like "what do you like about asian women" and he had this serial killer look and smile and said something like "it's the almond eyes and that little bit of flesh right underneath the eye"

my wife and i turned to each other and we're like "HOLY FUCKING SHIT, WHITE PPL ARE CRAZY!!!"
"Same thing I like about any woman, pretty, smell nice, and make babies with." That said, the differences from the norm are extra hot. Accents of any kind make my brain skip a beat.

Gask

Vyemm Raider
31d 9h 48m
Shock in China after Zhang Yimou film set during Cultural Revolution is pulled from Berlin festival
One Second depicts a man who escapes a prison farm in northwestern China in the 1970s – because he desperately wants to see a film – and an orphan he meets along the way. The director, Zhang Yimou, who was sent for re-education during China’s sociopolitical movement from 1966 until 1976 – known as the Cultural Revolution – has said that he wanted to pay tribute to the cinema of those troubled times in his latest work.

The film’s producers announced on Monday that for “technical reasons” the movie could not be shown at the 10-day festival, which began on Thursday. The news of the film’s withdrawal attracted more than 160 million views on Weibo – China’s version of Twitter – with many people expressing shock that even Zhang, one of China’s most influential filmmakers, would face censorship hurdles after committing to an international festival release.

China’s top leadership has acknowledged that the decade-long period of political and social chaos started by late chairman Mao Zedong was a disaster. Countless politicians, intellectuals and civilians were driven to their deaths and cultural relics and artefacts were destroyed. Historians say that somewhere between 500,000 and 2 million people lost their lives as a result of the Cultural Revolution, but it remains a highly sensitive subject in Chinese society.

A general manager from a Beijing-based film distributor, who did not want to be identified, said the movie had obtained a “dragon seal”, an official number that acts as a release permit issued by the film regulator. But, to be shown in cinemas, it still needed a final permit document. “In practice, it’s very common that a film which has the dragon seal fails to acquire the final document as scheduled, such as Youth,” he said, referring to a movie by another acclaimed Chinese director Feng Xiaogang which was also set during the Cultural Revolution and met with a similar fate.
Tortured in China: Two Canadians Who Lived to Tell the Tale
He said a police officer told him: “We can do anything to you without being held responsible. If you die, we will bury you and tell everyone you committed suicide because you were afraid of a criminal charge.”

“Then they shocked me with electric batons all over my body and two policemen shocked me at the same time. … My skin was burned, my left leg injured to the point that I couldn’t move it, and my clothes were torn in several places. I could smell my flesh burning. The pain was excruciating,” he said.
-
“My underwear often got stuck to the festered skin on my buttocks resulting from being forced to sit on the board for so long,” he said.

But the fever that began six weeks earlier after guards doused his naked body with freezing water in the middle of winter was his biggest challenge.

“My face became deformed due to large pus blisters that covered my nose and around my mouth and eyes,” he recalled. “The extreme sharp pains in my chest and ribs made me hardly able to breathe or lie down for any sleep at night. I was struggling for breath and life, but each breath could trigger unbearable pains and convulsions.”

“For a few weeks I went through a life-or-death struggle.”

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Gask

Vyemm Raider
31d 9h 48m
Tanzania Sentences Chinese Businesswoman to 15 Years for Smuggling Tusks
Yang Feng Glan had been charged in October 2015 along with two Tanzanian men with smuggling 860 pieces of ivory between 2000 and 2004 worth 13 billion shillings ($5.6 million). She denied the charges. Police sources said Yang, 69, had lived in Tanzania since the 1970s and was secretary-general of the Tanzania China-Africa Business Council. A Swahili-speaker, she also owns a popular Chinese restaurant in Dar es Salaam.

Kisutu Court Magistrate Huruma Shaidi sentenced Yang, Salivius Matembo and Manase Philemon to 15 years in prison on convictions of leading an organized criminal gang. Shaidi also ordered them to either pay twice the market value of the elephant tusks or face another two years in prison.

Tanzania’s elephant population shrank from 110,000 in 2009 to little more than 43,000 in 2014, according to a 2015 census, with conservation groups blaming “industrial-scale” poaching. In March 2016, Tanzania sentenced two Chinese men to 35 years each in jail for ivory smuggling, while in December 2015 another court sentenced four Chinese men to 20 years in jail each after they were convicted of smuggling rhino horns.
Chinese Australians Voice Support for Government’s Decision to Strip Chinese Billionaire of Visa
A group of Australian Chinese have released a statement voicing their support for the government’s decision to strip Chinese billionaire Huang Xiangmo of his permanent residency visa, contradicting an open letter signed by over 100 ethnic Chinese community groups that purported to represent the Chinese-Australian community’s views at large and who demand the reinstatment of Huang's residency.

The Sydney-based Australian Values Alliance (AVA) took a swipe at the letter that it says represents member organisations affiliated with the Australia Council for the Promotion of Peaceful National Reunification of China (ACPPRC) and others that have the agenda of trying to “brainwash Australian Chinese, undermine Australia’s democracy, and [the] interests of Australian Chinese community as a whole.”

The ACPPRC has been called out by AVA and China experts as being part of the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP’s) United Front Network.

“The decision made by the Australian immigration to deny the citizenship to Huang Xiangmo and cancel his residency visa is undoubtedly a great one, which is essential for preventing infiltration from foreign government, protecting interests of Australian Chinese communities and upholding democratic values of Australia,” AVA said in a public statement.

Associate professor in China Studies at University of Technology Sydney, Feng Chongyi, told The Epoch Times that be believes the open letter makes many Chinese people “angry.”

“This is what they have always done—use organisations such as the ACPPRC to kidnap the entire Chinese community as only having one view. The behaviour of the ACPPRC and the so-called patriotic overseas Chinese is completely jeopardising the values here, jeopardising the political system here, and also jeopardising the relationship between the Chinese community and mainstream society.”

• 1Like

Gask

Vyemm Raider
31d 9h 48m
China’s social credit system shows its teeth, banning millions from taking flights, trains
About 17.46 million “discredited” people were restricted from buying plane tickets and 5.47 million were restricted from purchasing high-speed train tickets due to being labelled as untrustworthy on an official blacklist. Access to financial markets is also being impacted as the use of the government’s social credit system accelerates.

The annual blacklist is part of a broader effort to boost “trustworthiness” in Chinese society and is an extension of China’s social credit system, which is expected to give each of its 1.4 billion citizens a personal score.

Over 3.59 million Chinese enterprises were added to the official creditworthiness blacklist last year, banning them from a series of activities, including bidding on projects, accessing security markets, taking part in land auctions and issuing corporate bonds, according to the 2018 annual report released by the National Public Credit Information Centre.

Lawyers worry that the accelerated use of the creditworthiness system will violate an individuals right to privacy. “Many people cannot pay their debt because they are too poor but will be subject to this kind of surveillance and this kind of public shaming,” a lawyer said. “It violates the rights of human beings.”
China Tightens Grip on East African Port
A Chinese port operator is tightening its grip on a strategic container terminal in East Africa, resetting operations and infrastructure at a site crucial to Beijing’s push to control seagoing trade lanes between Asia and Europe. Beijing sees Djibouti as part of its multitrillion-dollar Belt and Road Initiative that encompasses seaports in a range of nations, including Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Greece and Belgium.

These gateways afford Chinese vessels priority handling and lower docking fees, giving China’s carriers and their shipping customers an advantage in the contest to deliver as much cargo as possible in the shortest time to European markets.

Djibouti stands at the entrance to the Red Sea, which about 12% of all seaborne trade traverses on scores of ships using the Suez Canal. There are no other ports along the East Africa coastline with the infrastructure to handle, store and trade cargo between ships. It also is a gateway for East African markets with the potential for greater volume of imports and exports.

China also has a military base in Djibouti, its first in a foreign country. China is Djibouti’s top financier—holding about half of the country’s public debt, according to bankers’ calculations based on International Monetary Fund numbers.
'Xi cult' app is China's red hot hit
This is just horrifying.
A propaganda app that puts China's powerful President Xi Jinping in anyone's pockets has become a hit in the country -- with a helpful nudge from Communist Party officials. The app, which has been downloaded nearly 44 million times, tracks the amount of time users spend browsing inspirational quotes from the Chinese leader and watching short videos of his speeches and travels.

People are rewarded with points for sharing articles or answering quizzes on Communist heroes, and one day they may be able to redeem their scores for gifts such as pastries and tablets. But it's not all fun and games. Some people say they felt pressured to download it, others hope it can help their careers, and local government officials have been heavily promoting it.

The app's name -- "Xuexi Qiangguo" or "Study to Make China strong" -- is a pun as the Chinese word for studying, Xuexi, can also be read as "Study Xi". Beijing's municipal propaganda department chief Du Feijin told a workshop last week that the app was a "powerful starting point for implementing the spirit of the important instructions of General Secretary Xi", state-run newspaper Beijing News reported.

"My employer wants us to learn enough to get 35 credits every day... So we have no choice but to carry our children with one hand and our phones with the other and chase points with no life," wrote one user.

• 1Like