Citadel

kroenen

Regimen Morum
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Citadel

Genre: Drama, Crime

First aired: 2023-04-27

Cast: Richard Madden, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Stanley Tucci, Lesley Manville, Ashleigh Cummings, Roland Møller

Overview: Global spy agency Citadel has fallen, and its agents' memories were wiped clean. Now the powerful syndicate, Manticore, is rising in the void. Can the Citadel agents recollect their past and summon the strength to fight back?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imagine my disappointment when I see this thread title and it's not a sequel to The Big Short.

Goonsquad Officer
From just reading tjr overview, I kind of want to watch archer again

velk

Trakanon Raider
It's got high production values, good effects, decent acting - plot wise though it seems like it's just various scenes from spy movies pasted together.

I'd say it's bad, but True Lies is also on, and it's hard to call anything in the same genre bad with that to compare to.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
This seems aggressively mediocre, and oddly put together all around.

The episodes (at least the first three) are short for streaming (~42 minutes), but standard length for ad-run television. But the profanity (and violence, depending on the country) seem like they'd be a tough sell for any western broadcast channel.

The setup seems very clunky - the bad guys essentially win at the end of the first episode. Usually your hero has to be incapacitated somehow - coma, out of country, amnesiac, etc. - for the bad guys to win, otherwise it just seems like the heroes were incompetent in the first place. Nope, here the bad guys just win instantly. Unless the show's storyline is the moles were the _only_ reason the bad guys won, this setup just makes you question if the heroes are worth rooting for. (Also giving your evil empire distinctive tattoos seems like a bad plan for spy work. Just saying.)

Speaking of moles, the amnesiac chips, memories in a vial, twin henchmen, etc. all scream easy opportunities for any character to turn mole at any time. (I fully expect original recipe Robb Stark to be the primary mole.) I'm a sucker for a good heel / babyface turn, but they should be supported by hints in prior episodes that are meaningful in retrospect. Here, we find out fifteen minutes later that a character that was amnesiac was also a spy. What a non-twist, and also defuses the only tension by giving a lead an easy out from not being married to the other lead.

I've heard people refer to some shows (such as reality trash) as laundry folding shows, and I think I would put Citadel in the same territory - it's currently just not engaging enough to be a show you watch unless you're already doing something else.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
'Well polished turd' pretty much sums up this show. I have Amazon and it's noise so I'll probably watch them all when it finishes. Wombat Wombat Never heard the term 'laundry folding show' but I am totally stealing that!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

1683992049781.png

had forgotten about this show till saw someone talking about the rumored budget.

• 1Worf

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not too bad. Worth the watch. So far it has the feel of a bunch of different spy type movies(James Bond, Bourne movies, etc) put together. You have the spy tech with the fast paced fight scenes. Until the whole season comes out, it is difficult to judge the story but it is descent so far. You can see the budget as it really does have a movie feel too it.

kroenen

Regimen Morum
Can't say I cared that much for the original series but apparently they are expanding it and doing an Italian chapter of the citadel Universe with its own Italy-based production team led by showrunner Gina Gardini, producer of Gomorrah and Suburra.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone else think Nadia is a mega cunt of a character in this? At one point I was thinking to myself when he finds out he has a kid she hid from him that he should literally just shoot her in the face.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database