Class Action against EA Executives due to share dumping

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So why exactly are EA stock holders suing EA? The value of EA stock is up almost 100% YTD.
I'm not sure why, but I actually read the pdf. Well, most of it. There may have been some skimming done.

The lawsuit is only about July through December, and the class is people who bought stock during that time period. The complaint is that EA execs falsely claimed that all was well with BF4, which boosted the stock price, and then they sold their shares knowing full well the real state the game was in. Now everyone has seen that the game was nowhere close to being ready to ship, and EA saying that DICE is devoting everything to fixing it instead of starting up the DLC milking machine is going to shift a bunch of expected revenue back a quarter or more and the stock is tumbling.

That last part is what it's really all about, of course. I'll probably never understand why, but EA apparently makes an absurd amount of money off of Battlefield DLC.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I'm not sure why, but I actually read the pdf. Well, most of it. There may have been some skimming done.

The lawsuit is only about July through December, and the class is people who bought stock during that time period. The complaint is that EA execs falsely claimed that all was well with BF4, which boosted the stock price, and then they sold their shares knowing full well the real state the game was in. Now everyone has seen that the game was nowhere close to being ready to ship, and EA saying that DICE is devoting everything to fixing it instead of starting up the DLC milking machine is going to shift a bunch of expected revenue back a quarter or more and the stock is tumbling.

That last part is what it's really all about, of course. I'll probably never understand why, but EA apparently makes an absurd amount of money off of Battlefield DLC.
Jesus Christ that was depressing to read. Is this what video games are now? They are not upset because a game shipped unfinished, they are upset that on top of other things that the money making DLC will be delayed so that can actually fix the game people already paid money for.

So they don't give a shit about the customer, they just want to hurry up and take more money from us. They are in such a hurry to make more money that they will sue the fucking company.

I hate this planet.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Except the stock isnt tumbling, which is why this doesnt make any sense.

Electronic Arts Inc.: NASDAQ:EA quotes & news - Google Finance

Vorph

Stretch that graph out to 6 months and you'll see the basis for the lawsuit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
True, but 25% swings over such periods of time arent mystical things. Pretty much every single company will have swings like that in similar time periods.

This lawsuit just seems like nothing more than ambulance chasing. Only people its going to benefit are some piece of shit lawyers and maybe some mutual fund managers. Everyone else gets it in the ass. Like I said if they truly wanted to sue EA for a game that was a complete fraud and causes material damage, SimCity would of been it.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Fantastic news. Let's hope this actually turns into something meaningful. If EA were to be eventually be sold off, it would be a great win for gamers everywhere.

Vorph

True, but 25% swings over such periods of time arent mystical things. Pretty much every single company will have swings like that in similar time periods.

This lawsuit just seems like nothing more than ambulance chasing. Only people its going to benefit are some piece of shit lawyers and maybe some mutual fund managers. Everyone else gets it in the ass. Like I said if they truly wanted to sue EA for a game that was a complete fraud and causes material damage, SimCity would of been it.
Right, but the claim is that they knowingly reported false information in July, causing the price to go up, and people bought in at the same time they sold their shares off. And then it culminated with the announcement that DICE would be too busy fixing their shit to work on DLC, which will directly impact earnings for at least Q1 2014, causing the price to drop. 25% swings aren't normal if you can point at someone's fraud being the cause.

Don't get me wrong, I don't actually believe anything will happen to EA because of this. I would say best case scenario (for gamers) is that they make the execs involved look so bad they have to resign. Maybe the SEC gets involved but they would need some pretty damning evidence for that; unless there's emails from DICE to EA saying "you're fucking crazy if you make us ship this game out just to hit the same window as CoD" sent just before the shares were sold, they can just claim they thought there was enough time for it to be ready.

And yeah, large class action lawsuits are a fucking scam. Last time I was a member of a class was the big LCD panel price-fixing one. The lawyers will be receiving over $300M for that one, plus expenses. I think I'll be getting a check for $64, whenever the hell the appeals finally end. Not even really clear on why there are appeals on a case that was settled, and the companies involved have already paid the settlement into a fund. A cynical person might wonder who collects the interest on that $1B+ fund in the meantime.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
And sorry to say UT this doesn't effect nor will it effect how EA does business at all. Since it has nothing to do with their actual business practices or how they release games. It's purely a stock situation.
It may or it may not. It might garner some more press coverage and force other organizations to steer clear of EA business practices. But it goes to show the corruption at the highest level of this organization if true. (Which we all knew pretty much existed anyway) Which also leads to why this company should just be hung out to dry. We always disagree, but I think we can agree on the fact that EA is horrible in every sense of the word.

If a game company could get sued for releasing a known non-finished game there wouldn't be much left of the industry, if any at all
EA doesn't use it's QA control. This is a known fact as time and time again complaints have come from the QA workers about how they leave countless glitches and bugs slide just to barely squeek through certification. What we need to do, since the publishers won't do it, is bring higher standards back into the PS4 and Xbone. Shit like BF4 should have NEVER made it passed cert, and now I look at certification as another process hoop to go through where Sony or MS can make money off it. Nothing more, nothing less, and it has zero to do with quality.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Here's another one:http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...lefield-4.aspx

A third law firm is in the process of seeking certification as a class on behalf of EA investors. Bower Piven has filed in US District Court (Northern California) and is seeking a lead plaintiff with common stock losses greater than $200,000.

Bower Piven cites the same reasons as the first and second firms seeking certification. Particularly, the revelation on November 15 that Battlefield 4 was having significant issues on PlayStation 4, and the announcement that EA put DICE's future projects on hold as of December 4.

The complaint alleges that EA officers and directors violated the Securities Exchange Act by failing to disclose bugs, glitches, and connectivity issues with Battlefield 4. Again, it's important to note that this is not a suit focused on consumers. This is exclusively about investors who purchased common stock between July 24, 2013, and December 4, 2013.