Cleaning

vGrade

Potato del Grande
When trying to dust wood with glass attached to it do you find that spraying the cloth instead of the wood itself an effective way to clean so to not spray the glass? In other words do you think the Pledge works better when directly applied to the furniture first? I have never been sure so I just spray the piss out of everything with pledge then go back over the glass with Windex.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If you're going to do the glass after it doesn't matter a whole lot if it's the glass you're worried about.

I've always been in the camp though that spraying the surface causes dust to fly into the air and after you then wipe off the surface, whatever was in the air is going to settle back down onto the surrface and cause it to need to be dusted sooner then had you not.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I've been reading a lot of people saying a mix of Vinegar and Olive Oil is the best way to go for wood, I've never tried it myself but it seems to be the way to go if you want to use a natural polish.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What the.... That leaves wood/wood like surfaces sticky. At least whenever I have used that method in the past.
Do you just use a damp rag and dry it right off? Seriously.. next time you're in a furniture store ask the guys who repair the stuff what you should use. They will tell you. Pledge is a hoax. I've been cleaning my wooden furniture for 3 years with a damp rag that was soaked in warm soapy water. Some stuff on google too I'm sure.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I've heard people who work with furniture tell me that Pledge or over the counter furniture polishes in general are worthless if not outright bad for the wood. Most of them are oil based, right? Like literal oil as in petroleum. I don't remember what they said you should use though, don't recall it just being soapy water. Is that Murphy's Oil Soap stuff any better?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I've heard people who work with furniture tell me that Pledge or over the counter furniture polishes in general are worthless if not outright bad for the wood. Most of them are oil based, right? Like literal oil as in petroleum. I don't remember what they said you should use though, don't recall it just being soapy water. Is that Murphy's Oil Soap stuff any better?
Honestly not sure. It's what I was told to use so I always have. My furniture has held up great. I guess it can't hurt to so more research. I'm sure we've all paid a decent amount of our tables and shit.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I use Murphy's to clean my guitars' fretboards. Works like a charm. The stuff is very powerful. Doesn't take much to get the job done.

dimstar

Silver Knight of the Realm
For bathrooms go buy a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleaning sponge, they are amazing. No clue how they work.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For bathrooms go buy a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleaning sponge, they are amazing. No clue how they work.
I love those things. Anything I can't get something off a surface I use them and normally it works.

Simply green is an amazing cleaning solution btw. You cut it with water but it kicks ass!

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Olive Oil for your wood and wood floors. Vinegar and water for everything else. Borax mixture for clothes/scrubbing things.

Has the nice side effect of reducing your expense on cleaning products too, as well as being much healthier.