Climate Change: How to turn the Earth into Venus, redux.

Omi43221

Lord Nagafen Raider
10d 3h 32m
Reactions
489 43 0 0
No because that isn't true, natural gas expansion turns out releases a fuckton of methane and the US aint gonna hit shit.

"China has made significant progress towards its Paris targets. Coal consumption has remained relatively flat since its peak in 2013, and China’s wind and solar energy deployment continue to grow at the fastest pace in the world. China is implementing a variety of measures to meet its climate goals, including a national carbon cap-and-trade program, a green dispatch policy, and a mandatory national cap on coal consumption as part of its 13th Five-Year Plan for 2016 to 2020.

• Renewables: China set an ambitious target for wind power, aiming to reach 200 gigawatts (GW) by 2020, up from 129 GW in 2015. It also planned for solar capacity to reach 100 GW by 2020, up from nearly 43 GW in 2015. In a move of ambitious leadership, after realizing it could surpass these targets, China revised its wind and solar energy targets to 260 GW and 210 GW by 2020, respectively.
  • Buildings: China is taking measures to make its buildings more energy efficient by adopting increasingly stringent standards for new construction and energy efficiency retrofits for existing buildings.
  • Vehicles: China’s Ministry of Information and Industry Technology has announced it is working on a phase out plan for the sale of petrol vehicles. China is strengthening its vehicle emission standards to be as strict or stricter than existing standards in the United States and the European Union.
  • Cap and Trade: China will establish a nationwide carbon cap-and-trade program in late 2017 or early 2018, setting a price on carbon in major industrial sectors like power, aluminum, and cement.

China to close 500 coal mines and boost clean energy
China wants to ban gas and diesel cars

Ok now you link the stuff Trump has done. I'll start.

Trump caps off a long day by letting coal companies dump waste into streams.
E.P.A. Scrubs a Climate Website of ‘Climate Change’
Trump Is Quietly Surrendering to China on Climate Change
This kind of nonsense that China is leading the way in clean energy is just as disingenuous as some one posting a James Delingpole article. I pray that China does take a leadership position in climate. That some how the US pulling out of the Paris agreement and news hype makes them think they should be the leader because the reality is the exact opposite of what those articles claim. After the agreement China ran up the numbers of preposed plants well beyond what they would reasonably need. They then cancelled some of the crazy amounts they were planning and now they are on a path of extremely mild reduction in their overall energy use. Currently approximately 62% of China’s energy comes from coal, the US 32%. China still has currently planned or is constructing another 300,000 MW of energy that will come from coal. The US currently 895 MW of new energy planned from coal plants. Do those figures make it seem like China is the world's leader in clean energy?

https://endcoal.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/PDFs-for-GCPT-July-2017-Countries-MW.pdf

Titan_Atlas

<Moderation Tools>
14d 14m
Reactions
14,595 832 0 0
Just in case you haven't looked at the NASA study : they made a model to figure out the distribution of subterranean ice lakes and rivers under Western Antarctica. And the model shows that a magma plume that had been there for... brace for it... 50 million years, is a good fit for data.

So, no one's found a real magma plume under Antarctica, and if there's one, it's been warming Antarctica for 50 million years.
Are you claiming a 50 million year old natural conspiracy to cause global warming that comes to fruition in the year 2100? FFS the Jews did this!!!

Pops

Baron of the Realm
Reactions
17,088 924 0 0
Oil: The price is not right

According to auto-research company Edmunds, in 2015 and 2016, 40% of hybrid or electric-vehicle (EV) trade-ins in the US were for SUVs or trucks and over 10% for luxury cars

Haha fuck your global warming

Kaines

Karazhan Raider
29d 12h 0m
Reactions
15,057 598 0 0
I've said it before: Global Warming Alarmists that choose a time scale that makes hardcore creationists giggle with glee is hypocritical as all fuck.

Olebass

I'm a lead farmer.
<Donors Crew>
29d 3h 54m
Reactions
38,618 1,169 0 0
I don't think the Earth gives 2 fucks about your cars.

Adebisi

What a time to be alive
<Donors Crew>
11d 19h 2m
Reactions
24,210 1,224 0 0
While driving through the industrial area in Hamilton Ontario

IMG_20171205_145248.jpg

Is this how the X-Men are made?

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Charitable Tech Admin>
21d 21h 17m
Reactions
2,307 135 0 0
That looks like a dust cloud to me from an accident on a large pile of powdered sulfur. It is non-toxic as S8 (the crystalline form that is powered for manufacturing uses). You have to burn it near water vapour to make sulfuric acid or just burn it to make sulfuric dioxide, both if which are extremely toxic.

While it isn't good to make a big dust cloud like that; it isn't alarming unless it is a frequent occurrence and the contamination risk of an isolated event is low because the planet is covered in sulfuric (very common mineral).

Olebass

I'm a lead farmer.
<Donors Crew>
29d 3h 54m
Reactions
38,618 1,169 0 0
I bet it smells like rotten shit though.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
<Donors Crew>
9d 5h 39m
Reactions
14,378 767 0 0
I hope some people see this and actually read this article to see how perverted "science" is becoming nowadays.

Climate change has changed the way I think about science. Here’s why

Their 5 main points:
1) Methods aren't always necessarily falsifiable. (Think about what this says..we have a scientific method for a reason that's a standard) - Falsifiability is the idea that an assertion can be shown to be false by an experiment or an observation, and is critical to distinctions between “true science” and “pseudoscience”.

2)There are lots of ways to interpret data. - Ambiguity and uncertainty are key parts of the natural world, and scientific exploration of it.

3) Sometimes the scientist matters as well as the results. - (THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE PEER REVIEW ETC).

4) Society Matters too. - (No it should not...the data should show what the data should show, not change the data to match your conclusions.)

5) Non-Experts can be scientists....citizen scientists!! Climate science increasingly recognizes the value of citizen scientists.

I'm sorry that your feel good science doesn't match what's been established as real science and you're trying to justify it through "reasons."

Pharazon2

Knight of the Realm
2d 4h 39m
Reactions
232 23 0 0
Just watched Vice's annual global warming update, and they went to see this company Carbon Engineering that blew my mind. This sounds like one of those miracle technologies that are too good to be true, but one can hope its legit. They are claiming is this:

They have a proof of concept facility that sucks carbon out of the air, with the only major inputs being water and clean energy. Not only that, they can take the sequestered carbon and create vehicle fuel out of it that is compatible with anything today, no modifications to the vehicles necessary, at comparable price points.

Carbon Engineering: CO2 capture and the synthesis of clean transportation fuels

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Donor All-Stars>
33d 3h 25m
Reactions
5,230 105 0 0
Just watched Vice's annual global warming update, and they went to see this company Carbon Engineering that blew my mind. This sounds like one of those miracle technologies that are too good to be true, but one can hope its legit. They are claiming is this:

They have a proof of concept facility that sucks carbon out of the air, with the only major inputs being water and clean energy. Not only that, they can take the sequestered carbon and create vehicle fuel out of it that is compatible with anything today, no modifications to the vehicles necessary, at comparable price points.

Carbon Engineering: CO2 capture and the synthesis of clean transportation fuels
The numbers, what little they provide, are all highly theoretical best case scenario kinda deals. Creating hydrocarbon fuels out of atmospheric CO2 (if they are able to sequester it as efficently as they claim) + electrolysis Hydrogen would be extremely expensive energy wise. They are not mentioning algae ponds so i assume they have some secret tech that does the same only more inefficiently.
File this under the same heading as the self filling water bottle and that thing that suck oxygen out of seawater to let you snorkel forever.