Climate Change: How to turn the Earth into Venus, redux.

Aaron

<Donors Crew>
12d 15h 57m
Surprisingly little has been posted on these boards about the latest Climate Change report released about a week ago. Both the local news, and my FB have been "woke" about this these past few days. I find it especially amusing seeing some of my FB friends talk about how everyone needs to "do their part" to combat this by walking or biking to work, eating less meat and shit like this, while their same FB profiles are full of pictures they take of themselves during their 2-4 annual vacations abroad. Considering each one of those flights leaves a larger carbon footprint than my entire non-vacationing abroad lifestyle does, I can't help but laugh.

Someone actually mentioned the impact of flight and tourism in one of the threads. The reactions were laughable. God what a shit show.

• Truth!
Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Himeo

Molten Core Raider
One flight across the Atlantic has a larger carbon footprint than 5,000 Westerners do for a year.

Man made climate change is probably bullshit. Twelve thousand years ago Chicago was under a mile of ice. We didn't change that shit. It's probably variations of the temperature of the sun.

sadris

<Donors Crew>
48d 3h 27m
Surprisingly little has been posted on these boards about the latest Climate Change report released about a week ago. Both the local news, and my FB have been "woke" about this these past few days. I find it especially amusing seeing some of my FB friends talk about how everyone needs to "do their part" to combat this by walking or biking to work, eating less meat and shit like this, while their same FB profiles are full of pictures they take of themselves during their 2-4 annual vacations abroad. Considering each one of those flights leaves a larger carbon footprint than my entire non-vacationing abroad lifestyle does, I can't help but laugh.

Someone actually mentioned the impact of flight and tourism in one of the threads. The reactions were laughable. God what a shit show.
world's 15 largest shipping tankers account for more pollution than all cars on the planet combined.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
<Donors Crew>
11d 6h 23m
When I was growing up it was all about the "Ozone hole" then it moved to global warming and now climate change.

Looks like the ozone hole is healing itself as it were....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/health/ozone-healing-scli-intl/index.html

The decline in CFCs in our atmosphere as a result of those measures now mean the ozone layer is expected to have fully recovered sometime in the 2060s, according to the report by the UN Environment Programme, World Meteorological Organization, European Commission and other bodies.
In parts of the stratosphere, where most of the ozone is found, the layer has recovered at a rate of 1-3% per decade since 2000, the authors state.

koadic

Knight of the Realm
1d 7h 33m
When I was growing up it was all about the "Ozone hole" then it moved to global warming and now climate change.

Looks like the ozone hole is healing itself as it were....

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/health/ozone-healing-scli-intl/index.html
Your post appears to have the intention to lead people to think that the ozone hole is healing itself while the article you quote mentions that it is by a the result of a global ban (a human intervention) on CFCs that was instituted under the Montreal Protocol of 1987. Now you can believe whatever the hell you want, just do us the favor of linking to an article that supports your thought, not one that potentially undermines it :)

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
<Donors Crew>
11d 6h 23m
Your post appears to have the intention to lead people to think that the ozone hole is healing itself while the article you quote mentions that it is by a the result of a global ban (a human intervention) on CFCs that was instituted under the Montreal Protocol of 1987. Now you can believe whatever the hell you want, just do us the favor of linking to an article that supports your thought, not one that potentially undermines it :)
I quoted the article at that key point.

The decline in CFCs in our atmosphere as a result of those measures now mean the ozone layer is expected to have fully recovered sometime in the 2060s, according to the report by the UN Environment Programme, World Meteorological Organization, European Commission and other bodies.
In parts of the stratosphere, where most of the ozone is found, the layer has recovered at a rate of 1-3% per decade since 2000, the authors state.

So it is healing itself. If that's due to the lessened amount of CFC's as it states that 's just fine or if it would've happened naturally despite anything else, that's fine too.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Lord Nagafen Raider
10d 11h 38m
I quoted the article at that key point.

So it is healing itself. If that's due to the lessened amount of CFC's as it states that 's just fine or if it would've happened naturally despite anything else, that's fine too.
1-3% per decade since 2000 seems like a small sample set. That could mean 2% in 18 years.

Reactions: Caliane

mkopec

<Donors Crew>
28d 13h 32m
I knew Gore was a charlatan when I leaned of his 10,000 sq ft mansion, probably one of many. The operating costs and the energy required to heat and to cool this place must be that of a small town. Anyone preaching some shit, and livinvg the opposite is a fucking lying crook in my book.

Serpens

<Donors Crew>
22d 21h 42m
I knew Gore was a charlatan when I leaned of his 10,000 sq ft mansion, probably one of many. The operating costs and the energy required to heat and to cool this place must be that of a small town. Anyone preaching some shit, and livinvg the opposite is a fucking lying crook in my book.
But he buys virtue credits to offset all that, dontcha know? Is that scam still going on?