CLOSED: Announcing beta phase 2, style Fires of Heaven v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
21d 21h 46m
UPDATE: I have revised the test style to Fires of Heaven v2.0. It is dark, it is better. Try it.

I volunteered to assist with site styling a few weeks ago. While I did update the "Fires of Heaven" (default) style to fix a few modest issues, I decided to do most of my work on a new style so as not to disrupt everyone's experience as I modified things. The new style is now ready for testing, so I am inviting all of you to try it out.

Features:
  1. Site style combining Google Material Design, the base UI.X style, and traditional FOH + WoW color palettes
    1. Much requested darker, darker, darker has won the day; the style is darker!!
  2. Designed with reading in mind, so:
    1. Headers are reduced in size
    2. Report, Edit, Quote, Link, and Reply links in posts have been simplified to icons
  3. Style works well on both large display and mobile
  4. Reactions add-ons have been tweaked to fit with our use (e.g. long list in the SS Forum)
  5. Sticky threads isolated from the main list and moved closer to sub-forum list
  6. Tweaked paging system works better at all resolutions.
  7. Highlight avatar borders for admins, mods, and super donors, plus a grayscale version for our potatoes trapped in the Rickshaw. (Donor avatar picture tweak is coming soon.)
  8. Font (text-spacing) spacing adjusted in order to improve readability on both large and mobile screens.
  9. Forum list restored to single forum per line
  10. Forum sections are collapsable and the state is retained to your browser, so you can collapse sections that you never read.
  11. New member styling for Donors, Super Donors, Moderators, and Admins.
  12. New site Rank Titles (under the control of the Mod team) that can be awarded and show up above your name.
  13. Forum specific styling, including options to do custom fonts, backgrounds, etc per forum
  14. Transparent page styling allowing full page backgrounds
  15. Updated site logo using the original transparent PNG file
You can switch styles in the footer where it reads "Fires of Heaven" or you can click here

Last edited:

Archmage Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
66d 6h 23m
First!

For Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule and the Screenshots crew, I spent some time on reactions so that: they render normally in most posts, and look good when 5-10 reaction types are used on a single post:
View attachment 166007
I'm seeing the x still near the reaction to the right of it, so it looks like worf x shit x garbage, with just the numbers underneath. As opposed to x1, x7 etc underneath the reactions.

Reactions: chthonic-anemos

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
21d 21h 46m
I'm seeing the x still near the reaction to the right of it, so it looks like worf x shit x garbage, with just the numbers underneath. As opposed to x1, x7 etc underneath the reactions.
It dynamically shifts to underneath when the number gets to five distinct reaction types.

My thinking was that this keeps the vertical space consumed lower for most posts and only takes up extra space for those rare unusual posts with high reaction types count.

Example:
https://www.firesofheaven.org/threads/funny-strange-random-pics.8/page-4167#post-2427361

The implementation needs a bit of clean up as I can allow more space on high resolution screens, and have it dynamically compress more as the screen resolution gets smaller.

I also haven't added a "page" button when the reaction type count exceeds 11, but this is an edge case so I am ignoring it while I focus on more common use cases.

Lightning Fast
66d 6h 23m
What I mean is it's doing this:

Reactions display example.jpg

If that's just a mod view thing as Suineg said, then disregard. I looked at the post you linked as well, and it's not displaying this way. I'm looking on a desktop, 1920x1080 resolution.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
21d 21h 46m
What I mean is it's doing this:

View attachment 166023

If that's just a mod view thing as Suineg said, then disregard. I looked at the post you linked as well, and it's not displaying this way. I'm looking on a desktop, 1920x1080 resolution.
Bug logged. Go you for finding the first bug! Please send me the post-id so that I have the steps to reproduce and can work on the fix (I suspect that I miscounted so simple fix of decrease 28px to 20-something...

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
<Donors Crew>
27d 11h 45m
Request to move "alerts" to the top bar so I can see them when at the bottom of a page to check replies, etc. without having to scroll all the way up.

Thx.

Lightning Fast
66d 6h 23m
Bug logged. Go you for finding the first bug! Please send me the post-id so that I have the steps to reproduce and can work on the fix (I suspect that I miscounted so simple fix of decrease 28px to 20-something...
"Bubbles, post: 2434549, member: 932"

I'm guessing it's something simple like that as well.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Prior Amod>
37d 7h 17m
Looks pretty good so far. Is the change to dark gray instead of the near black as the post background temporary or is this the planned final color scheme?

Not a big fan of both parts of the top bar staying on screen, but if that's the compromise that needs to be made to allow alerts to be viewable without scrolling to the top I can live with it.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is maybe moving the quote/reply etc buttons to one side or the other instead of spread across the top of the post.

I'll keep using the alpha theme for a while. Looking forward to however it turns out.

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
21d 21h 46m
Looks pretty good so far. Is the change to dark gray instead of the near black as the post background temporary or is this the planned final color scheme?

Not a big fan of both parts of the top bar staying on screen, but if that's the compromise that needs to be made to allow alerts to be viewable without scrolling to the top I can live with it.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is maybe moving the quote/reply etc buttons to one side or the other instead of spread across the top of the post.

I'll keep using the alpha theme for a while. Looking forward to however it turns out.
yeah, too gray. not enough black.
I darkened the grey to nearly black this morning. Thank you for the feedback.

slippery

<Donors Crew>
18d 3h 50m
The $ on the avatar (I'm assuming means donor?) looks really weird to me. It's kind of distracting, idk.

Can we get the New post indicator and timestamp on the posts left aligned? The blank space above the post is odd, and having the timestamp right aligned makes for more eye movement to see

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Prior Amod>
37d 7h 17m
I darkened the grey to nearly black this morning. Thank you for the feedback.
Much better, thanks.

Once you have the base theme all worked out, would it be possible to do a few versions with different color schemes? I really prefer very dark to near black themes (I stare at a fucking white screen at work all night) would love to have that as an option.

pharmakos

bµɐʁwɐʞoƨ
<Donors Crew>
25d 12h 8m
Much better, thanks.

Once you have the base theme all worked out, would it be possible to do a few versions with different color schemes? I really prefer very dark to near black themes (I stare at a fucking white screen at work all night) would love to have that as an option.
i agree that, while this is a major improvement over the previous theme, that even blacker would be better, lol.

i spend way too much time staring at computer screens, too.

PAINT IT BLACK

slippery

<Donors Crew>
18d 3h 50m
The $ on the avatar (I'm assuming means donor?) looks really weird to me. It's kind of distracting, idk.

Can we get the New post indicator and timestamp on the posts left aligned? The blank space above the post is odd, and having the timestamp right aligned makes for more eye movement to see
Both seem to be fixed.

A+

Status
Not open for further replies.