Cocktails

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked the idea of this thread on Morenetz. Post your favorite cocktail recipes (if you wanna talk beer, start a derail in the FSR or go to Product Reviews).

Jolly Rancher "Martini":
1oz Apple Vodka
1oz Midori
1oz Sour Mix
Top Splash of Cranberry

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Beer cocktail: Michelada

Juice of 2 limes
1 Mexican beer (I prefer XX)
Ice
Salt Rim

Drink em ALL DAY

Tea_sl

shitlord
1oz Sour Mix
I replied last night, but seriously squeeze fresh juices. It makes a big difference even in girly drinks.

Two of my favorite cocktails for December:

The 20th Century

1 1/2 oz Gin - You want something fairly hefty here. I'd leave the Hendricks and Plymouth on the shelf for maybe Tanqueray.
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
3/4 oz White creme de cacao
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice

Shake. Strain. Lemon twist.

Bittered Sling:

2 oz Armagnac
1/4 oz simple syrup
2 dash bitters

Stir slowly over large ice cubes. Serve in rocks glass. Garnish with fresh nutmeg. While I think this is a truly amazing drink, I understand that not many of you are going to go out and buy Armagnac. You can substitute any dark spirit, but I think cognac and rye whiskey are the two best options. If you've never had Armagnac before you should really try it - the honey of Hymettus brought no such solace to the soul.

Oh shit you guys should also give a try to a proper whiskey sour:

2 oz Bourbon
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
Juice of 1 large lemon
Whites of 1 egg

Whenever you are working with cream or egg then you need to do an extremely vigorous dry shake without ice first, and then another very vigorous shake with ice. We're talking about a good 30 seconds each time of hot fapping motions. Egg whites in cocktails are fucking fantastic and you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Yes, lemons and limes. You will want to tailor the exact ratio for each drink, but 1 lime and 1/2 a lemon is a good baseline as that should give you roughly equivalent amounts of juice. Depending on the drink you may need to throw in a little simple syrup to keep it balanced.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Hemingway Daquiri

2 oz Appleton's Spiced Rum
.5 oz Maraschino Liquor
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Grapefruit juice

Mix in shaker with ice and pour into martini glass. Garnish with orange peel and Maraschino cherry.

Silayn

Trakanon Raider
Whenever you are working with cream or egg then you need to do an extremely vigorous dry shake without ice first, and then another very vigorous shake with ice. We're talking about a good 30 seconds each time of hot fapping motions. Egg whites in cocktails are fucking fantastic and you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try.
It is a lost art when you try to find a good bartender that can actually use heavy cream or egg whites. I really hope that will come back into a new trend but no one cares about Classic style drinks anymore. I still cant find a good Old Fashioned and that is extremely sad.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Nothing like a classic sazerac.

Prep Time: 3 minutes

Total Time: 3 minutes

Yield: 1 Cocktail

Ingredients:

3 oz rye whiskey
3/4 oz simple syrup
Peychaud bitters to taste
absinthe or absinthe substitute
Lemon twist for garnish
Preparation:

Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling it with ice and letting it sit while preparing the rest of the drink.
In a separate mixing glass, muddle the simple syrup and Peychaud bitters together.
Add the rye whiskey and ice to the bitters mixture and stir.
Discard the ice in the chilled glass and rinse it with absinthe by pouring a small amount into the glass, swirling it around and discarding the liquid.
Strain the whiskey mixture from the mixing glass into the old fashioned glass.
Garnish with a lemon twist. Traditionalists will say that the lemon twist should be squeezed over the drink to release its essences but that the twist should not be dropped into the glass itself.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice Heylel, I love sazerac's...

I really got into "classic" cocktails this spring, which was really just me following the trend... I was getting sick of beer and getting sick of my standard boring vodka tonic so I wanted to try some new stuff.

What I really got into was the Negroni. It's pretty standard but can lend itself to a lot of different variations due to the fact that there are so many different kinds of gin, vermouth, and bitters based alcohols out there.

The basic recipe is as follows:
1 part gin
1 part sweet/red vermouth
1 part bitters, traditionally being Campari

I prefer it on the rocks but have seen it served up in a martini glass. Standard garnish is an orange peel but a lemon twist is fine too.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I like to make this in a big tupperware jug and keep it in the fridge. It's supposed to be a group fishbowl drink. The number one reason I make it is because the wife can drink one glass and get nicely drunk and she doesn't taste any alcohol in it at all pretty much.

5oz Vodka (I suggest you use 100 proof here)
5oz Malibu Rum
3oz Blue Curacao
6oz Sweet & Sour Mix
16oz Pineapple Juice
16oz Sprite or 7up

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sure this has another name, but when I bartended, it was called a Prison Bitch.

1oz Vodka(stoli quality+)
1/2oz Triple Sec
1/2oz Amaretto
2oz Orange Juice
2oz Cranberry Juice

Drop the alcohol into a shaker with some ice, shake the fuck outta it, pour into a tall glass (you can leave the ice if you want, chicks think the volume means it won't fuck them up or something) then add the OJ and Cran. Stir and voila. Doesn't really taste like a mixed drink and will get you torn up in 3-4 goes without realizing it. Easily my go-to when someone asks me for a fun party drink. Simply doubling the amounts results in a pretty big drink but fruity enough that after 1-2 of these the drinkee doesn't notice that they are going to be shitfaced in the near future.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Negronis and Sazeracs are seriously in my top 5 for best drinks of all time. Mad props for extreme good taste. You guys should try the 20th Century up there, it's amazing.

Hey, Eyashusa, how adventurous are you feeling? You obviously like bitters, so I present to you the Trinidad Sour:

1 oz Angostura Bitters
1 oz Orgeat
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz Rye

It's way better than you might think it would be.

It is a lost art when you try to find a good bartender that can actually use heavy cream or egg whites. I really hope that will come back into a new trend but no one cares about Classic style drinks anymore. I still cant find a good Old Fashioned and that is extremely sad.
I bartended my way through college, and I still do it every now and then. There just isn't a need for proper bartending skills because there isn't any demand for it outside like 20 places in the US. People want their cran and vodkas, man.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I bartended my way through college, and I still do it every now and then. There just isn't a need for proper bartending skills because there isn't any demand for it outside like 20 places in the US. People want their cran and vodkas, man.
Pretty much. As it stands currently in the USA, 90% of "bartending" jobs are going to be in chain restaurants where you'll either pour draft beer, open bottles, or make chain-style "specialty" drinks. There's no skill involved anymore. The only time I ever see what I consider real bartenders is in very upscale hotels.

Anyway, my favorite "classic" cocktail is a Harvey Wallbanger. I love it to death but it's hard as hell to get at most places because Galliano seems to be a pretty rare find.

OJ
Vodka
Galliano floater (although if you order this in most places they just pour the Galliano in and mix it)

Tea_sl

shitlord
I have never had anyone order nor seen anyone order a Harvey Wallbanger ever. Galliano is is pretty regularly stocked around here with its big stupid bottle, but I've never used it for a customer.

"Hey, what drinks do you make with that big stupid bottle?"
"A Harvey Wallbanger"
"Do people actually drink those?"
"No."

Not to disparage the Harvey Wallbanger too much; I'm sure it's a fine drink. I'd be really excited to make one if someone actually ordered it.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks Tea, I will try both of those.

And I agree about drinks that include egg whites. Delicious. I always get the strangest looks from my wife and our friends when I order them but who cares.

McCheese

I have never had anyone order nor seen anyone order a Harvey Wallbanger ever. Galliano is is pretty regularly stocked around here with its big stupid bottle, but I've never used it for a customer.

"Hey, what drinks do you make with that big stupid bottle?"
"A Harvey Wallbanger"
"Do people actually drink those?"
"No."

Not to disparage the Harvey Wallbanger too much; I'm sure it's a fine drink. I'd be really excited to make one if someone actually ordered it.
Haha yeah that big bottle always gets questions. I used to work at an Olive Garden and for some reason we had a bottle of Galliano. That's actually how I first started drinking Harvey Wallbangers. I asked my bartender friend what the big bottle was for and he made me one and I loved it. In the 5 years we both worked there I was the only one to ever make use of the Galliano.

I wish all bartenders shared your excitment about making new drinks. If I order anything with more than 2 ingredients I'm met with blank stares or I end up having to do some backseat bartending and walk the bartender through each step.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
McCheese where do you live? The classic/craft cocktail scene has been booming all over the place in the past year. There must be at least two dozen new bars/restaurants with heavy cocktail programs open up in Chicago over the past year...

Tea_sl

shitlord
LA, New Orleans, San Fran, Portland, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, New York all have pretty nice craft cocktail scenes. Anywhere else might have a 1 or 2 craft bars, that will probably be out of business in a couple years or adapt to be less crafty.

McCheese

I live near Washington, D.C.

I'm sure there are some great cocktail places in the city proper, but I tend not to go into the city for drinking all that much nowadays because cocktails are way cheaper and taste way better when I make them myself. $20 French Martini that tastes like Kool Aid? Fuck that.

Anyway, I'm usually more of a beer drinker so I don't go out of my way to get cocktails. But if I go to a bar, ANY bar, I expect the bartender to at least have a good working knowledge of standard drinks. Whether it's a Harvey Wallbanger or something more mainstream like a Manhattan.