Code Vein

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
First impression -- it seems to be a far better Souls knock off than God Eater is a MH knock off.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I finished the story part of the demo, and did some of the dungeon after the demo. So killed the final boss in story section and 2 bosses in the dungeon. All on first attempt, without switching weapon or class, so the game is not that bad at the beginning at least. Never killed the first boss in Bloodborne. :)

I like the visuals, and story was appropriately anime weird which I enjoyed.

There's TON of stats, not sure how impactful they are but there is a lot of stuff to track. The few weapons I tried seem varied enough, classes have seem to have interesting abilities.

So first impression is I liked it. Not an automatic buy yet, but if reviews are good I'll get it for sure.

Vorph

Er, two bosses? There's two paths that are open when you first enter that have a mini-boss room at the end, and you find the keys to open the door to fight the real boss. The minibosses aren't much harder than trash mobs, but the real boss is actually somewhat challenging.

Only thing I didn't really like about the gameplay is the camera is pushed in too far. Two handers, especially the hammer dropped by the two fatties, seem much stronger to me than all the other weapons in the demo but they are so large that sometimes I can't see wtf is going on with the camera so close.

The blood code system is pretty interesting. I unlocked a full set of 4 passives, 3 different moves that work with 2H hammers, and 3 buffs that can all be used at the same time. The downside was that Prometheus seemed way better than the rest to actually equip, and the ranged/caster ones were especially weak. Could always change later on in the full game, but it was really clunky to have to melee stuff in order to keep using gifts (or just the normal gun shot).

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well the 2 mini-bosses then, I did get keys for the door but had to stop before going in.

I did have issue with the camera too, mostly because the game is in tight small corridors. The boss or mini-boss fights happened in bigger room and I didn't have any issue there.

Yeah the size of some weapons can be annoying as it clutters the view during combat.

I only played maybe 1:30 tops, so it wasn't an in depth look. I know I missed on using some mechanics, since I was mostly interested in testing the game's difficulty...as Bloodborne was too hard for me, I don't have the reaction time I used to have at my age. And unless the game's difficulty ramps up drastically, this is much much easier than Bloodborne. The game's difficulty to me was more similar to Monster Hunter World than Bloodborne.

Vorph

If you're concerned about the difficulty you should definitely try the real boss of the demo. The game goes from about a 3 to an 8, and most people probably won't beat it without leveling up to 20+ and getting a +3 weapon & veil.

That said, I'm not sure that boss is really representative of what you'll see in the final game. I would hope there's a more steady progression and the demo just used that dungeon as an example of the game's content. They even say that it's a tough area so I would assume you'd normally be doing story stuff rather than going straight into the depths.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'll try to give it a shot, difficulty is my primary concern since I'm not that great at these games but still enjoy them. Probably won't have time till weekend though.

I don't mind having to grind somewhat to level up to do boss fights, if there are some good gameplay elements to grind levels and gear.

Vorph

Yeah, that particular fight can definitely be overcome by gear and levels, so it's probably a good indication of the overall game.

Amazon has the phys version with all the same preorder bonuses for 50, so that was enough to convince me to buy instead of rent/ wait. Assuming reviews don't completely savage the game closer to release anyway.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
They've already given some streamers access to the game, a full week before release. They've also given a demo access to streamers a while back and a "open" demo now for everyone, which is exactly how Nioh has done it both times (only they call it beta and open beta).

So I think they're confident in their product. Don't think the streamer I saw had any restrictions either, was just given a code and a PR person was in the stream. He first made fun of the anime breasts, then proceeded to tell chat to spam the PR person with questions and followed up by enjoying the game. Saw him play some later parts today and he said that it definitely seems tuned for multiplayer at parts. He was playing it alone without a npc character following him.

I enjoyed the demo and will definitely get the game.

Based on the amount of different "classes" you appeared to be able to unlock in the demo alone, and the amount of "souls" required to unlock their skills compared to the newbie ones it could be a big game.

Are the maps the same as the Bloodborne chalices? Extra procedural content outside of the main story?

Fedor

<Banned>
Are the maps the same as the Bloodborne chalices? Extra procedural content outside of the main story?

I think that's only for the depths. It looks like you can fight previous story bosses there whenever you want.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Picked this up on PS4, it is a little jank but overall I am liking it. Compare the movement to a game like bloodborne or Sekiro though and you can really see the cracks.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This is 40% off on PS4 right now. I picked it up after trying the demo out.