Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman: Descension

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Absolutely amazing album. It think it rivals Good Apollo I.

These last two albums have been pretty fucking incredible. The story is tragic, yet beautiful. The way it ends is a pretty epic testament to love. Would be cool if there were a follow up with his travels in the Keywork as he searches for Meri. I think The Hard Sell is my favorite song on this one. Can't wait to see them March 1st. Anyone else going to see them in Austin?

After multiple listens, I've decided Number City is my favorite Coheed song of all time. Too god damn groovy. Reminds me of an over the top Head Automatica/Say Anything style of song. Claudio's ability to write in any genre is still fucking awe inspiring.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
After multiple listens, I've decided Number City is my favorite Coheed song of all time. Too god damn groovy. Reminds me of an over the top Head Automatica/Say Anything style of song. Claudio's ability to write in any genre is still fucking awe inspiring.
Yup, Number City is my favorite song on the album. I still think that The Running Free is my favorite Coheed song. Going to see them the 17th in Portland.

Shabado_sl

shitlord
So it's just me that can't get into this album or Year of the Black Rainbow?

It could be that I never cared about the story, and while it's all technically very good it just feels less epic. Parts of the first 3 albums especially really swept me up at times to the point where I wouldn't listen to them if I needed to concentrate, but the last two albums feel like they'd be perfect background noise.

Maybe it's me that changed.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
REALLY enjoyed this album it ranks up there with Good apollo. i didn't care too much for Ascension except for a song or two but this one hit it out of the park.

Number city and the hard sell are my favorites.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
REALLY enjoyed this album it ranks up there with Good apollo. i didn't care too much for Ascension except for a song or two but this one hit it out of the park.

Number city and the hard sell are my favorites.
I wasn't thrilled about Ascension, until repeated listening. There were a few songs that still didn't resonate with me, such as Subtraction and The Hollow, but after a while it definitely grew on me. Descension is miles better, however. I think when you take the entire thing and look at The Afterman album as a whole, it may be my favorite music album of all-time.

It could be that I never cared about the story, and while it's all technically very good it just feels less epic. Parts of the first 3 albums especially really swept me up at times to the point where I wouldn't listen to them if I needed to concentrate, but the last two albums feel like they'd be perfect background noise.

Maybe it's me that changed.
I wasn't a fan of Year of the Black Rainbow either, but The Afterman is brilliant. I don't really care much for the story either, but I get an entirely different experience out of the lyrics than what is "intended".

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I couldn't get into Black Rainbow so badly that I haven't given this one a shot. Even after listening to the first four a million times.

I'll give this one a chance now since you guys are giving it good reviews.

I have it set up like Kirun said, one big album. I nerd out so hard on the story, which makes the albums just a musical version of the comics and it gets me so amped up. Claudio is to the music genre as Joss Whedon is to video media, but infinitely more talented. A collaboration between the two would blow my mind.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
It saddens me the first comment was not a mippo reference.
I had the opportunity to "first post" this thread, but I couldn't remember Mippo's name
frown.png
That song about him was really great though!

frown.png

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
What's with all the Year of the Black Rainbow hate? It might actually be my favourite album overall.

I am loving the production on Descension, it fits the album perfectly.

Shabado_sl

shitlord
I listened to it again a couple of times today and it's growing on me. I'll probably listen to it a couple more times over the weekend before I make up my mind.

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Claudio is to the music genre as Joss Whedon is to video media, but infinitely more talented. A collaboration between the two would blow my mind.
Maybe we will get lucky and they will tap Whedon to direct.

http://www.nme.com/news/Coheed%20and%20Cambria/68450

The Amory Wars', which were picked up by Mark Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson of Leverage Productions to be developed into a live-action feature film last year, tell the story of the rise of superhuman dictator Wilhelm Ryan, and the one family that could hold the key to liberating the world from his tyrannical reign.