Console gaming through a wall

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
This is going to sound really stupid.

The TV where I want to play xbox is one of those samsung frame TVs, and they have a "Box" that connects to the TV via a single wire. The box is where you plug in HDMI, ethernet, power, etc. The box for my samsung frame is behind a wall (like an actual 2x4 stud framed wall with sheetrock), which means I would put the xbox in a different room of my house than the TV it is plugged in. Will the xbox controller work through the wall?

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>

The TV where I want to play xbox is one of those samsung frame TVs, and they have a "Box" that connects to the TV via a single wire. The box is where you plug in HDMI, ethernet, power, etc. The box for my samsung frame is behind a wall (like an actual 2x4 stud framed wall with sheetrock), which means I would put the xbox in a different room of my house than the TV it is plugged in. Will the xbox controller work through the wall?

Ehhhhhh

I mean I use a dongle for my controller on my PC and it barely works down the hall and sometimes has issues across the room.

If they make an extender for your controller, sure but I wouldn't count on it. I mean you could always get a 25 - 50 foot HDMI cord and shove it in the next room to test it out before cutting holes, they are cheap as hell on amazon.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

I'd say no, but I guess it's worth testing?

I don't get how the "box" ended up on another side of the wall or why you can't move it though, was the house somehow built around the setup or you installed it when they were still making the walls or something?

Anyway past that as mentionned, you can always just move the xbox to the right side and use a cable to connect to the box. Can get the cable following the ground and shit but annoying in doors, or you just drill another hole somewhere to get the cable to go through. Doesn't have to be straight through that wall, could be like above the door frame(cable follows the edge of the doorframe then drill up there, then go back down the other way, looks clean enough that way I had a setup like that before).

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I'd say no, but I guess it's worth testing?

I don't get how the "box" ended up on another side of the wall or why you can't move it though, was the house somehow built around the setup or you installed it when they were still making the walls or something?

Anyway past that as mentionned, you can always just move the xbox to the right side and use a cable to connect to the box. Can get the cable following the ground and shit but annoying in doors, or you just drill another hole somewhere to get the cable to go through. Doesn't have to be straight through that wall, could be like above the door frame(cable follows the edge of the doorframe then drill up there, then go back down the other way, looks clean enough that way I had a setup like that before).

I just assume they are trying for a minimalism look. I know I did a "Through the Wall" deal in one of the rentals I was in since the adjoining room wasn't in use and it was just a passive guest room. Pretty easy to accomplish and it clears clutter from your TV area. I plan on doing it again when I can on our house since all you need is a decent receiver with 3-5 incoming connections and one outgoing. Combine that with EVERY-FUCKING-THING is alexa / google controlled these days and you don't even need a remote to control it.

Major issue you will run into is purely on the console side since you can have USB Wireless hubs for Xbox and other controllers pretty easily located.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I just assume they are trying for a minimalism look. I know I did a "Through the Wall" deal in one of the rentals I was in since the adjoining room wasn't in use and it was just a passive guest room. Pretty easy to accomplish and it clears clutter from your TV area. I plan on doing it again when I can on our house since all you need is a decent receiver with 3-5 incoming connections and one outgoing. Combine that with EVERY-FUCKING-THING is alexa / google controlled these days and you don't even need a remote to control it.

Major issue you will run into is purely on the console side since you can have USB Wireless hubs for Xbox and other controllers pretty easily located.
Yeah but I feel if I was doing that, I'd drill a relatively large hole(5cm diameter or so, size of a glass), put some plastic thing on the edge to "fill" the wall edges and this way if you need to get more cables in or change cables or whatever, you just slide them in there easily along with other cables. Drill the hole somewhere behind where the TV is, and it doesn't matter that it's bigger. If the other side matters(TV if high enough and other wall doesn't have anything you can use to cover like a painting/furniture), you can make the cables go down inside the wall and drill a similar hole at floor level(easy to hide), adds the annoyance of having to lead the cables down the wall everytime you want to switch, but beats having to drill another hole. But I guess it was done by someone else or whatever so makes sense.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah but I feel if I was doing that, I'd drill a relatively large hole(5cm diameter or so, size of a glass), put some plastic thing on the edge to "fill" the wall edges and this way if you need to get more cables in or change cables or whatever, you just slide them in there easily along with other cables. Drill the hole somewhere behind where the TV is, and it doesn't matter that it's bigger. If the other side matters(TV if high enough and other wall doesn't have anything you can use to cover like a painting/furniture), you can make the cables go down inside the wall and drill a similar hole at floor level(easy to hide), adds the annoyance of having to lead the cables down the wall everytime you want to switch, but beats having to drill another hole. But I guess it was done by someone else or whatever so makes sense.

Yeah basically what I did was cut out a "1 gang old work box" and then installed the frame for it so that I could put a cover over it when I left and it would look "Professional" and not like some moron put a hole in a fucking wall. Essentially I wanted it so I could be like "Meh the cable guy did it.."

But yeah most wall mounts for TV's have a space behind them for a 2 gang (2 outlet) to be situated so that you can wire without things being seen, combine that with HDMI signal degradation being something like 50 feet and you can put your TV most anywhere compared to your theatre system.