Contract work

moseby_sl

shitlord
Just curious,

I have been asked by a local non-profit to reimage a bunch of pc's/laptop's (20 in total windows 7/8), then config and install a few applications on them. I have been doing this at home and for previous employers. However never as a contractor, I wanted to know how much to charge? They are quoting 3 hours of work each so I was thinking $20/h might be too low, and $30/h is most likely far to high

To bear in mind that this could be a possible foot in the door for a full time position, and that I am currently unemployed as my previous employer decided to lay me off permanently the week of march break. Also my sister works for said non-profit.

Regards,

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Honestly, I have no idea what the market is like in Ontario Canada, but even the $30 an hour would be on the really low-end for freelance IT work around here, and I'm in a part of the US that's on the lower end of the wage/cost of living scale. I have a lot of IT friends that pick up odd contracts in-between their big contract jobs that they might have for a year or two at a time. Their smaller freelance work is usually more in the $50-$70 an hour range, but I also don't believe they have any expectations of those turning into permanent positions, so they aren't too concerned about giving a great deal.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Split it in the middle and go for $25 if you are pretty sure there is a position there for you. /shrugs

moseby_sl

shitlord
I really had no idea what was changed for this sort of work. I was just ballparking base on previous salaries. The wife talked to a couple of the guys who run the law firms IT dept where she works and said 60 - 70. I guess I will have to reconsider what to charge.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
In my experience IT companies charge around $90-120/hr out here in Alberta.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah but everyone in Alberta swims in their vaults of oil money like Scrooge McDuck. It's like the Texas of Canada.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I do small business IT work in a very small town and charge $65/hour, but could probably charge more. Are all the systems going to be identical? Build an image and blow their minds by only charging 10 hours labor total.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I charge $60.00 an hour for side work. Really ranges from simple shit like setting up a printer to setting up a server and federating with Office 365.

I'm not so sure setting the standard of cheap labor is a great idea. If you're good at IT then you should charge more as low balling yourself generally gets your less respect and a smaller salary.

Also why the fuck are they using desktops? Is this a centralized location? Have they looked into Office 365 for non profits (It's FREE!) which includes SharePoint, Exchange and Lync. Also I'd check out Techsoup.org for free software.

If you qualify for the free Office 365 and 5x super cheap MS server licenses from Techsoup I would totally drop the high maintenance desktops and move towards a server with thin clients. You could get a beefy HP DL380P G8 and setup a virtual DC, ADFS server, file server, and RDS server then connect thin clients to the RDS server for a much more robust infrastructure at relatively small cost. Not to mention it will be a lot easier to manage and should have a much longer lifespan than some old reimaged desktops.