Damaged My Rental Car in Another Country - Wut Do?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Rented a car in Thailand. 15 minutes in I clipped a road construction sign because I suck and wasn't used to driving on the other side of the road yet. The left side mirror glass shattered but thankfully the mirror is overall intact and operational (electronics still work). I've been looking at trying to replace the mirror but it sounds like I need a custom order from a glass shop. I have insurance covered from my Chase Sapphire Preferred but I'm concerned about the third world country aspect. I rented from National and not some podunk local company.

Anyone else experience this? Am I about to get fucked?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Rented a car in Thailand. 15 minutes in I clipped a road construction sign because I suck and wasn't used to driving on the other side of the road yet. The left side mirror glass shattered but thankfully the mirror is overall intact and operational (electronics still work). I've been looking at trying to replace the mirror but it sounds like I need a custom order from a glass shop. I have insurance covered from my Chase Sapphire Preferred but I'm concerned about the third world country aspect. I rented from National and not some podunk local company.

Anyone else experience this? Am I about to get fucked?
Should be fine since it's national and you have insurance covered. $500 or so mistake, which will be minor in comparison to whatever shenanigans you get up to in Thailand.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
All advice I've read is call Chase first and see what they recommend. They should cover everything, but you may be responsible for loss of use when they get it repaired. Especially in a third world country I would only deal with Chase.

National is a reputable company though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Thanks. What I thought. I was expecting 300-600 cost which is something I can deal with. I was sweating seeing a 5k cost or some bullshit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
white guy that lives in chinatown is a piss poor driver, wow

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
white guy that lives in chinatown is a piss poor driver, wow

Bro this is my second accident ever. I was really upset with myself. I'm feeling better about it now, but there were a lot of curse words directed at myself.

And I wasn't aware of white-guy-bad-driver stereotypes. We're the NASCAR bros.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
How much Singha was in your gut when this happened?

Bang out a few Scandi backpackers for your foh friends

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How much Singha was in your gut when this happened?

Bang out a few Scandi backpackers for your foh friends

0 Singhas. Completely sober leaving the airport.

I banged a British chick after the Full Moon Party on Thursday night. Haven't seen many Scandis. So many fucking Russians though. With their ridiculous plastic surgery duck lips.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
OK looks like I gotta wait until I return the car to see what the cost is and then file the documentation to Chase. Chase says they'll cover the entire thing so we'll see.

iannis

Musty Nester
You went to Thailand to fuck white females above the age of consent?f

I think you may not be grasping the entirety of your opportunity here.

And before you think I'm gross, I'm not the one spending money to go to thailand.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You went to Thailand to fuck white females above the age of consent?f

I think you may not be grasping the entirety of your opportunity here.

And before you think I'm gross, I'm not the one spending money to go to thailand.

There's a lot more than sex tourism out here. Spent a few days in Cambodia exploring Angkor Wat and I felt like Indiana Jones. Volunteered at an elephant rescue shelter and went hiking and swimming with them. Lounged on remote turquoise water beaches. Indulged myself at exquisite rooftop bars and restaurants. Tomorrow I'm gonna cruise through the mountain countryside (with my broken mirror) and stop by various over the top temples and gardens.

It is a lot of partying though.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Lanx just needs to make everything about race.

I smashed the driver's side mirror on my rental car pulling out of the covered parking on my apartment once. I was shitting my pants all the way to the airport thinking about what this was going to cost and if I was going to miss my flight because of it. When I got to the rental car drop off, (it was San Jose so everyone at the rental place are sikhs) the guy was just like "don't worry about it" and took the car. No paperwork, no charges, never heard anything else about it. And the mirror wasn't just cracked, it was totally shattered and the housing was smashed as well. Never understood what happened there but it worked out great for me.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
His racist opinions/jokes don't even make sense. They fit whatever narrative he wants. Like that Bill Burr Asian driver bit.

you cant see the jokes, just like you couldn't see that road sign?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
you cant see the jokes, just like you couldn't see that road sign?

Naw it's just your jokes suck. And your schtick is so predictable. You're nowhere near as funny as you think you are. You are the Russell Peters / Gabriel Iglesias of zingers on this forum. That's not a compliment in anyway. Tell another low-hanging fruit race joke, Lanx! Who cares if it doesn't make sense?!?

I like your posts in the Cooking thread though!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Bro this is my second accident ever. I was really upset with myself. I'm feeling better about it now, but there were a lot of curse words directed at myself.

Bro, don't sweat it. You're fucking doing something amazing. It takes balls to go across the world and rent a car and drive the country. That's so fucking cool and I'm immensely jealous. That being said, most likely they will not rip you off. Call Chase, then National. I rented a car in the caribbean from some shithole outfit, and I destroyed that fucker, like ripped parts off the bottom, etc. I thought I was fucked and it was like $500. Same island, my girlfriend wrecked her waverunner, and only a few hundred dollar charge.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bro, don't sweat it. You're fucking doing something amazing. It takes balls to go across the world and rent a car and drive the country. That's so fucking cool and I'm immensely jealous. That being said, most likely they will not rip you off. Call Chase, then National. I rented a car in the caribbean from some shithole outfit, and I destroyed that fucker, like ripped parts off the bottom, etc. I thought I was fucked and it was like $500. Same island, my girlfriend wrecked her waverunner, and only a few hundred dollar charge.
white ppl leave a path of destruction... (not racial!)

• 1EyeRoll