Dark Souls

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Don't think I ever messed with that stuff. I play these games like a neanderthal, just take my weapon and smack shit with it. Even in Elden Ring I barely used weapon arts. Always find myself mashing basic attack like a scrub.
Best playthrough is usually the biggest heaviest weapon you can swing. Pancaking dudes in souls games is it's own fun.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Don't think I ever messed with that stuff. I play these games like a neanderthal, just take my weapon and smack shit with it. Even in Elden Ring I barely used weapon arts. Always find myself mashing basic attack like god intended.

"Exotic" builds are great to add replay value, but you're objectively wrong if you don't use the biggest, heaviest, and ugliest abomination you can find on your first go round

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, aside from call, there is executioners gloves, Auger and few other S scaling ranged attacks.

I did the Arcane build in Bloodborne and it was kind of interesting/powerful later on. For the first half of the game I had very little to work with, basically just Flamethrower and the mist sprayer or whatever it is. Once it finally hit its stride it was fun, but it was pretty boring for a while before that.

Bloodtinge firearm-only build was significantly more fun to play. You're pretty much scaling your main attack from the start. I think Reiterpallasch was the gun I used for the second half and it was pretty awesome. Never did a melee attack for the entire game IIRC.

Back in Dark Souls I spared the Giant Blacksmith and stuck to pyro and my giant blunt (Reinforced Club). Got the club at Divine +5 and the Pyro at Ascended +5 so I'm pretty much done with leveling things up. Got the Lordvessel placed and just need to knock off the five big bosses.

O&S fell on the first try and I feel like the rest is pretty much fait accompli at this point, but I'll probably do it anyway just to finish the task. We'll see if Four Kings is a problem.

Only real issue all game was losing all my Humanity finally when I was trying to break into Demon Ruins. Had like 15 of it built up over the whole game by playing super-carefully and using Humanity to heal in emergencies, now it's all poofed. Hopefully it wasn't making a huge difference in my resistances or anything, still a bummer.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I did the Arcane build in Bloodborne and it was kind of interesting/powerful later on. For the first half of the game I had very little to work with, basically just Flamethrower and the mist sprayer or whatever it is. Once it finally hit its stride it was fun, but it was pretty boring for a while before that.

Bloodtinge firearm-only build was significantly more fun to play. You're pretty much scaling your main attack from the start. I think Reiterpallasch was the gun I used for the second half and it was pretty awesome. Never did a melee attack for the entire game IIRC.

Back in Dark Souls I spared the Giant Blacksmith and stuck to pyro and my giant blunt (Reinforced Club). Got the club at Divine +5 and the Pyro at Ascended +5 so I'm pretty much done with leveling things up. Got the Lordvessel placed and just need to knock off the five big bosses.

O&S fell on the first try and I feel like the rest is pretty much fait accompli at this point, but I'll probably do it anyway just to finish the task. We'll see if Four Kings is a problem.

Only real issue all game was losing all my Humanity finally when I was trying to break into Demon Ruins. Had like 15 of it built up over the whole game by playing super-carefully and using Humanity to heal in emergencies, now it's all poofed. Hopefully it wasn't making a huge difference in my resistances or anything, still a bummer.
Chalice dungeons, you can cheese a bunch of them early on to get whatever you want. These days people have every code to use so you can get anything hour 1-2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20230913_131812.jpg

The last room of Catacombs, with all the pinwheel skeletons, is what I consider the hardest room in the game. Especially at SL1 where they all one-shot you if you get lightly grazed. Well, turns out if you're in human form there's a summon sign on this cliff that summons Paladin Leeroy to just murder the room for you. Damn, that's a huge discovery after how much grief this room usually gives me. Also, nice WoW reference.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sen's Fortress might be one of the best dungeon crawls in video game history.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Beat the game at SL1. That was a lot of fun and way easier than I would have thought, due to pyromancy scaling. Was basically a glass cannon which is what I usually build as anyway. Really fun time and I recommend it to anyone who wants to replay the game and needs a new challenge.

20230914_101908.jpg

• 2Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
First two bosses in the DLC were rougher than anything in the base game but I got past them in a few tries each. Kalameet and Manus were a different story, they both squashed me dozens of times. Even just landing a shot on Kalameet wasn't happening until I remembered to go under the waterfall and bait the sweeping fire attack. From there I had to get a perfect Fire Tempest shot with Power Within on and RTSR equipped, while in critical. Took like 30 tries but I finally lucked out and landed that one perfect shot, won.

In the DLC, the bosses wipe you out so fast that you basically have to "one shot build" your way through it and defeat them ASAP with Fire Tempest. So the fights are over in about 20 seconds one way or the other. The exception being Manus, where you don't really have time to ever cast Fire Tempest effectively. Much better strategy is just bob and weave and attack with Great Combustion / Black Flame. That last one was such a good fight when I finally got him, and also took a couple dozen tries. Had to block several of his meteor rains with the Silver Pendant.

Man, what a rush.

20230917_120356.jpg

20230917_120309.jpg

2:28 is where I just went "fuck it" and went for the kill rather than continuing to play it safe.

Zaide Zaide Any suggestions for another From game worth doing SL1 on? ER is probably too time-consuming. Souls 1 I think was just the right balance where it didn't take overly long.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Watched Berserk (90's series) over the last few Mondays with friends and just wrapped it up tonight. Wow, what an incredible story. And it ends right when it gets good, too. Like "read the manga for the remaining 80% of the story lol". Saw an insane amount of similarities with the Souls series. Had no idea Slave Knight Gael was Literally Guts.

Well, now I pretty much need to replay some From games and try to make Guts in them. Never did a Str build in any of them either, was always either quick Dex weapons or spells or something weird like Bloodtinge.

Gives me an excuse to start Elden Ring over to prepare for the DLC, too. Lots of tutorials online for how to make a perfect Guts in that game. Unsure about the others. Souls 2 is the one I'm most overdue for a replay on and Guts seems like he'd be create-able in that as well. Bloodborne may not have Guts or an ultra greatsword but it does have the Whirligig Saw and I've been waiting years for a remaster to do a Saw playthrough.

Since I've never done a Str build or a Chonk Boi before, I'll take any advice anyone wants to drop. Probably gonna have to get used to slow rolls too.

WTB 100-150 spare hours to replay 3-5 From games over the next 3 months, TY.