Dart Board

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wanting to get a nice dart board and cabinet for the home. In the past, I've done the cheapo $20-30 boards and didn't think they were great. Would like something that has less bounce outs. Does anyone have a good brand or anything to recommend?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wanting to get a nice dart board and cabinet for the home. In the past, I've done the cheapo $20-30 boards and didn't think they were great. Would like something that has less bounce outs. Does anyone have a good brand or anything to recommend?
Winnmau Blade IV is currently the standard for bristle boards. It's got the embedded "blade" style spider(the wires separating sections) so hard hits on them will deflect off and in to the board more than on old classic wire and staple type board. Puma and Unicorn have higher end blade style boards that are about as good too. Any of them shouldrun you about $50-60. There's actually a new version of the Blade IV that has "dual core" technology where the surface is softer and the deeper part is harder for less bounce outs and higher durability. But I wouldn't suggest going that high end for a board unless you are really serious about the game.

Cabinet is your choice.

If you go soft tip the best home board out there now is theDartslive 100s. Gonna run a lot more than a steel tip board of course, $200+. Little bit safer than a steel tip board, and lasts near forever and does all the scoring etc for you. Louder than a steel tip board though, can be a concern for some people in apartments etc. This particular board isn't too loud, but the cheaper you go the louder any of them will be.

Any more questions?Darts is my shit.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanks. That's a great start for me. I'll probably go with the Winnmau you mentioned. Any recommendations on what darts? I'm not super serious about this at all. Just want something to have here for when I have people over. I'd definitely like it be better than something you would find at a bar.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just some cheapo brass darts in the 20-28gram range would work for house darts. It's generally cheaper to order darts from the UK, even with shipping.Here's a decent selectionof brass cheapies, if you want it to look nice get a couple sets with different weights/shapes and your friends will have a choice. And if they get more serious about the game they'll want to buy their own darts that suit them.

The primary difference between stuff like these and more expensive darts is material. Good darts are 80%+ tungsten. More durable but more importantly more dense, so the darts can be thinner. Better for tight grouping. I throwthese(play soft tip mostly). But when it comes to shape/weight it's all preference. Best way is to find a local dart shop and ask them to let you try out a few sets, will get an idea what suits you. Second best way is to try some other folks darts at the bar. I used a friend's set that I really liked then went online and found some that were similar looking.

Have seen a few people suggestEric Bristow dartsto beginners because they're just a really basic set in all respects. Neutral weight, basic grip etc.

You can order cheap shafts and flights(from front to back the parts of the dart are Tip>Barrel>Shaft>Flight) in quantity on Amazon, gonna need them. And you probably want the longer shafts and standard shape flights for newbies, more forgiving of wobbly throws. Buy a bunch ofo-ringsto use on the shafts so they don't come loose and you are good to go.

The up front costs can be a little daunting if you are trying to get a full nice set up from scratch, but pretty much everything should either last a really long time(darts/board etc) or be dirt cheap(flights etc). So as long as you actually use it the cost:use ratio is really positive.