Dead Space 3

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Did not see a thread here and since I just downloaded the demo I figured I would start one. Any one else try the coop yet?

Edit:

Just wrapped up the demo.

Thoughts: Well it has promise in the weapon customization field. You guys who love to build l33t weapons are going to shit your pants. It is not as scary as the first two settings but that could change in the game. Alot of that has to do with the setting being a bright, white snow planet. My main concern is what they do with the story. That is my main focus. The co-op will take away some of the immersion but if it was not for a wii game called Dead Space Extraction I never would have played Dead Space. (Btw my bro and I played that all night and had a blast. Still the only WII game I felt justified in buying)

Very little info on the Unitoglogists but the lower ranks have a message to kill you on sight

Sean_sl

shitlord
Played through the demo just now.

It definitely did not give me any of the same feelings of isolation and having to survive that Dead Space 1 and 2 did so well. It's just a small portion of it and the level design and atmosphere of the rest of the game could possibly be a lot better, but I doubt it. The Universal Ammo system they added in really does not help matters on that front either and detracts from it quite a bit imo. I also really do not like the fact that they added in enemies with guns.

On the plus side of things: The graphics feel quite a bit better and the weapon upgrade and crafting system is pretty neat.

I'm going to pick it up on release, but I do not have any real excitement for it. It really felt like something was "missing" from the demo. The demo also starts you out with a ton of ammo, med packs, and resources. I think that was a huge mistake to showcase and I hope the full game isn't like that, because it really soured the experience.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Some choice quotes straight from the DS3 devs:

"At our studio, we've always made console games. The biggest thing is we want to make sure the quality of the experience is consistent across all platforms so we don't have one userbase saying it's better on their system."

"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different..."

"We need to make sure we're expanding our audience as well. There are action game fans, and survival horror fans, who are 19 and 20, and they've only played games on their smartphones, and micro-transactions are to them a standard part of gaming. It's a different generation. So if we're going to bring those people to our world, let's speak their language, but let's not alienate our fans at the same time."

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
It sounds like someone trying to justify their bosses' meddling.

Its the nature of horror games that become popular - they turn mainstream. It sucks, but that's the way it goes. I could attempt to talk about how its "impossible to recapture the feel of the original" that we use for so many games, but that gets old. The second game showed they were willing to go the intensity-and-adrenaline route to replace some of the fear factor, so it was inevitable each additional title would linger that way.

I got it for half-off, so I'll let you guys know what's up if you want to wait.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
DS1 has almost* no mouse issues at all if you turn off v-sync in game, then force it on in video drivers. [*-Nothing can fix the fucking awful asteroid mini-game.]

I still say the worst thing they did was give Isaac a voice in DS2. That plus the lack of Warren Ellis' involvement made for a very mediocre experience compared to the original. If I ever had any interest at all in DS3, those quotes Sean posted above just killed the last of it.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Their day-1 DLC list is pretty fucking obnoxious. It's what, like 40$ of DLC going live on release day? What the fuck ever man. The first two games were great, but they're pretty close to making me skip thing regardless of how good or bad it might be.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Some choice quotes straight from the DS3 devs:

"At our studio, we've always made console games. The biggest thing is we want to make sure the quality of the experience is consistent across all platforms so we don't have one userbase saying it's better on their system."

"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different..."

"We need to make sure we're expanding our audience as well. There are action game fans, and survival horror fans, who are 19 and 20, and they've only played games on their smartphones, and micro-transactions are to them a standard part of gaming. It's a different generation. So if we're going to bring those people to our world, let's speak their language, but let's not alienate our fans at the same time."
Fucking sell-outs.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
11 packs total for release day, plus the usual $10 EA online pass. 3 of them improve scavenger bots' ability to collect resources for the crafting system ($5 each), the rest are suits and weapons (mostly $5 but a couple $1).

And that's not including the ability to buy resources you are lacking for a particular crafting recipe via microtransactions right inside the crafting interface.

It's fucking disgusting.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I still say the worst thing they did was give Isaac a voice in DS2.
I don't mind some of the mild responses he had in DS2, but a lot of the dialogue was just unnecessary. Giving him a voice is fine, but making him a chatterbox was really annoying.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Starting it up now. Super disappointed that you have to beat it once to unlock "Classic Mode". There's also Pure Survival and Hardcore that get unlocked from beating it once.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
Fair way through this game and it seems they decided to steer away from the horror aspect of the previous games and just went pure action shooter more like Gears of War.
I miss the "jump" factor the previous releases had. Still a good game, just not scary.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Fair way through this game and it seems they decided to steer away from the horror aspect of the previous games and just went pure action shooter more like Gears of War.
I miss the "jump" factor the previous releases had. Still a good game, just not scary.
Every single part of it that's a "pure action shooter" is god awful. So far I would not call this a "good game" by any stretch.

If this game is just more of the same of what I've played so far then I can't recommend it to anyone who actually wanted more of Dead Space 1/2. Don't waste your money.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I haven't even landed on the planet yet, I keep dicking around in space with the side missions lol. There's definitely room there with the "Skip" and the space graveyard type area to set up some additional content.

I'm enjoying it for the most part, but like I said, I'm not even waist-deep in snow yet.

Couples things that I don't like though: 1) No manual save - its autosave (minor gripe though). 2) This isDeadSpace, notDramaSpace. Please keep the Days of Our Lives shit out of here.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
11 packs total for release day, plus the usual $10 EA online pass. 3 of them improve scavenger bots' ability to collect resources for the crafting system ($5 each), the rest are suits and weapons (mostly $5 but a couple $1).

And that's not including the ability to buy resources you are lacking for a particular crafting recipe via microtransactions right inside the crafting interface.

It's fucking disgusting.
This right here convinced me to not purchase this.

EA can go fuck themselves.

Edit: Also, it may behoove the idiots making this decision based on a market demographic that those with smartphones and tablet PC's playing casual games do not pay $59.99 for a game first and then pay through microtransactions. But that would mean common sense.

Edit 2: I guess other folks are saying this is a non issue because there are so many cash and resource drops that you would never need to utilize this anyway.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Edit 2: I guess other folks are saying this is a non issue because there are so many cash and resource drops that you would never need to utilize this anyway.
I don't think that's true, at the rate I'm getting resources on Hard it's making suit upgrades pretty sparse and I've barely been able to upgrade it at all. If you bought the resources packs you'd be able to fully upgrade the suit pretty easily which would make a world of difference in making the game easier.

Resources don't matter much for weapons normally (more so relies on getting weapon part drops), but you can also buy super powerful, custom weapons with resources right off and that would be a pretty huge deal too.