Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut (PC)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For those who weren't aware it went through the greenlight process a few months ago, the game is being released on Steam tomorrow. I played the DC version on PS3 earlier this year, and it's still in my top 3 games for 2013 even after all the excellent AAA releases we've had this year.

Steam version adds some additional content on top of the PS3 DC stuff. Word is the port is good, with none of the framerate issues that plagued the console versions.

The game itself is basically an open world survival horror made by someone who apparently thought that Twin Peaks needed a game version, but decided the original wasn't nearly bizarre enough. The gameplay is nothing special--it's all about the presentation, story, and [especially] dialogue. I usually hate anything people call "so bad, it's good" but I loved every minute of this game.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Always been interested in this game, but I've never gotten around to picking it up. Also never seen Twin Peaks.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just picked it up so will see tomorrow when it is unlocked. Loved Twin Peaks though so I'm sure that puts me in a special category of people.

Vorph

Well, you're in luck then, since you'll get to play the best version of it without already knowing all the spoilers. The PS3 DC added a fair bit of content to the 360 version and made the graphics look like a HD remaster of a PS2 game instead of just a straight-up PS2 game. I never had any issues except audio glitches at the main menu and the very first tutorial combat area had shit framerates, but a lot of people had fps in the low teens on their PS3. Strange because the Japanese version of the game was pretty much flawless according to people who played it before the DC came out. They never patched the PS3 version either, which still kind of pisses me off even though it didn't affect me personally very much.

I've heard the port is good, at least in terms of framerate. No idea about controls yet, but being labeled as "partial controller support" on Steam is kind of odd since it's a direct port. Hopefully the kb/m controls work well, and are remappable, etc.

Sean_sl

shitlord

Vorph

Heh, funny that people who said the port was running at solid 60 fps all the time failed to mention that it was locked at 720p. Durante (the DSfix guy) will be attempting to fix it so maybe it will turn out ok anyway.

Wouldn't stop me from buying the game if I didn't already own the PS3 version--because face it, DP is not going to be a pretty game no matter what you do to it, and even so it will still be the best version of the game--but I definitely agree that it's fucking retarded. Especially since the developers have got to be aware of the flak From Software took for releasing Dark Souls the way they did, and people know that changing display resolution and frame buffer size are trivial operations. Not all keys are able to be re-bound either. I'm looking at a screenshot of the launcher's key config and you can rebind everything except WASD so that's a big fuck you to those of us who haven't used that shit since the 90's (ESDF ftw). Though I haven't seen anyone comment on the gamepad controls; if that works exactly the same as it did on PS3 it would be my preference over kb/m for this game anyway.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Also never seen Twin Peaks.
When I was a kid I was told to go to bed once because I wasn't allowed to watch it. I used my kid stealth abilities and went downstairs and managed to sneak a peak, just when Bob said hi. Fuck Bob and that show. Bob and Kreuger. Fuck those guys. Only nightmare inducing characters of my childhood.

Never even heard of this game, how long is it?

Vorph

Took me ~45 hours to get the platinum trophy (which is just doing 100% of the game, I don't go out of my way to get trophies). Maybe half that if you plow through it skipping sidequests and not collecting the cards, weapons, cars, etc.

Edit: WTF... Steam forums posts are saying that there's no gamepad support AT ALL.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I'm installing now but may go ahead and try to initiate a return on Steam... is that even possible? Is there a method for leaving feedback about why you feel you deserve a refund?

Vorph

It's a pain in the ass, basically they make a big deal out of it and tell you they'll do it this one time but that's it for some unspecified period of time, even when it's for a game that is clearly broken or not what was advertised.

Also:DPfix 0.1 Alpha

Edit: DPfix seems to work fine, at least for the first few minutes of the game that I checked out. No way I could play through the whole game with this m/kb setup though. This is a gamepad game, full stop.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Cool, thanks Vorph. Using that now at 2560x1440 and it does look good. My only issue now is that any scrollable menu (weapons, dossier, etc..) just goes in an infinite loop. I can't actually stop it from going round and round. Not sure if it has to do with the fact my PS3 controller was hooked up or not. Need to reboot and see if that clears it up. Hopefully an actual controller patch is released though.

Vorph

It's the gamepad for sure, you need to disconnect it to play. You should reboot anyway though, people are reporting terrible fps until they reboot after installation.