Death and... Taxes.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
We are about to pay the largest tax bill we ever had by many orders of magnitude. We also did amazingly well in 2023 so this was anticipated; however, it is astounding how much money the Federal government takes from productive people. It would be great if everyone had to plan for a lump sum tax bill every year instead of getting it taken out of their paychecks. There would be no more fiscal liberals.
Yeah, it fucking sucks... My effective tax rate was like 21% this year. Shit is so rustling after you are how much money that is and how much inflation is raping your expenses.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Filed last week via TurboTax so my question comes a little late for this year… Has anyone ever used FreeTaxUSA for filing? Apparently federal filing is free which rocks for states with no income tax.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Filed last week via TurboTax so my question comes a little late for this year… Has anyone ever used FreeTaxUSA for filing? Apparently federal filing is free which rocks for states with no income tax.

AFAIK one of the deals with places like TurboTax and H&R Block etc. is that they have to provide a free way to file. They just find all kinds of ways to charge you by helping you "prepare" your taxes.

[edit: TurboTax offers two ways for people to file for free: TurboTax Free Edition and TurboTax Live Assisted Basic, the latter of which comes with a tax expert to virtually help you. However, these "free" options aren't free for everyone, according to TurboTax — only 37% of taxpayers will qualify for the free edition.Feb 27, 2024]

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Finally was able to submit my filing after 18 hours of outage from H&R Block. Fuck these guys, definitely using someone else next year.

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Big fan. I've used them for a couple of years now. There was a little trepidation the first time since I hadn't heard of them before, so, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a scam. I used to use turbotax, but they've continuously jacked up their prices and my taxes have gotten simpler (I haven't had any time to daytrade in my brokerage accounts). I paid in total 43ish bucks (15 for filing in state, 8 for deluxe in case I needed to file an amendment, and 20 bucks for audit defense since I had some HSA crap that I had to fix).

If I started trading in any volume again, I'd probably go back to turbotax since it had the ability to parse through all the brokerage tax forms automatically.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user