Defiance

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Defiance, an upcoming MMORPG from Trion, is set to be the first MMORPG that ties into an episodic television show. While it looks much like what Tabula Rasa set out to do and failed trying, this one has the backing of an extremely competent dev team. Could be shallow, could be fun, but it will be interesting to see how much the game affects the TV show or vice versa. If anyone can keep patching in content to keep up with a TV show, it's these guys.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just received an email from Trion to apply for Alpha signups and choose between the Xbox360, PC, and PS3. Not sure if it was because I purchased the CE edition of Rift, or if I signed up for the 1 year subscription when it was first available, but you guys might want to check your inbox.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Video looked fine, still need to see if it's interesting enough to play though. Also the netcode which is probably the most important aspect for a mmofps.

Didn't get an alpha invite, probably cause I haven't played Rift since a few months after release and haven't bought Storm Legion. I was invited in the vanilla alpha though so maybe later.

Zantox_sl

shitlord
WTB First-Person perspective.
Agreed. FPS should beFirstPerson. This look like it could be a lot of fun. I think Trion hit pretty close to the mark with Rift, and this seems like it could amp up the fun factor.

Dear Trion, please steal the all access pass concept from SOE. That is all.
I'd rather them turn RIFT & Defiance into buy-to-play with a cash shop (GW2 style). It makes it much easier to stay engaged in an MMO when you don't have to sub/unsub/resub, but rather play as you will (particularly with so many games competing for attention right now).

Watched the livestream, and all in all I'm surprised at how good it looks. Like the emphasis on lateral rather than vertical progression. Looks like solid gameplay all around, however, and they kind of dodged the question here, how the fuck will it tie into the show exactly? Can't find too much info on that, and honestly the tie-in looks weak (redo the same content over and over for new rewards is the only answer I could find).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Watched the livestream, and all in all I'm surprised at how good it looks. Like the emphasis on lateral rather than vertical progression. Looks like solid gameplay all around, however, and they kind of dodged the question here, how the fuck will it tie into the show exactly? Can't find too much info on that, and honestly the tie-in looks weak (redo the same content over and over for new rewards is the only answer I could find).
SyFY channel had an 20th anniversary show on the other day. They covered defiance at the very end. The said that the show will take place in st. louis and the game will be in san fran. They gave an example of a train leaving st. louis on the show and arriving in the game world. Stuff like that.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01...or-pc-players/

Trion has revealed that its first beta event for the upcoming open-world shooter Defiance will take place from January 18th through the 20th. The shindig will be PC-only (Defiance will release in April on both consoles and personal computers).

Advanced Beta Mission 1 will see players transported to a futuristic San Francisco Bay area where they will take on the role of an ark hunter. Ark hunters are genetically enhanced individuals described by Trion as "part treasure hunter, part mercenary." The beta will feature full access to Defiance's tutorial, Mt. Tam, the Waterfront competitive multiplayer map, and the Shadow War and Arkfall open-world boss battles.

Trion is now accepting beta signups.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
I posted on the Tv show forums, Brand New Defiance Trailer for tv show all.

Looks awesome, has firefly,farscape vipe.

2 hour premiere for the tv show in April.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The game certainly has a Planetside / Borderlands look to it and the trailer for the show looked like it might have promise.

I hope this is cool but any involvement of SyFy has me scared. Sad because SciFi seemed to do no wrong in the early years (Farscape, Stargate, etc)