Definition of Sport

So the atheism thread and definitions of atheism/anti-theism got me thinking of this debate I've been having at work. My coworker keeps arguing that auto racing is not a sport because the driver isn't doing the work. I counter with my own definition of sport:

1. Must be competitive in nature, with a clear winner.
2. Must contain some physical element, such as endurance, speed, coordination.
3. Judging cannot be the primary determinant of the winner.

So in my definition, things like gymnastics and diving are not sports due to rule #3. Needless to say this get me many looks of consternation.

With these rules, auto racing qualifies as a sport. What say you all?

Yea I get that argument too. Auto racing as 'event', but they don't include the word sport with it. It's a total cop out, because everything is an event.

The biggest confusion I see is between athletes and sports. People tend to think if it is athletic it is a sport. And the two are not the same. I always say anyone can participate in a sport, but athletes take them to the highest levels. For some reason this doesn't stick.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Auto racing is actually physically demanding. That's really all that I have to add.

So yea a sport.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doing sit ups is physically demanding. Sport?

I used to get in to these debates a lot, but any more I just classify all that shit internally. A lot of it I can't really 100% justify either, it's just where it falls in my head.

Stuff like my beloved Darts I put in the Game/Competition category. I love that shit, but when the best player in the world is overweight and nearly 60...yeah.

In my stupid head the designation of a "sport" only really springs immediately to mind with head to head competitions. 2 people or teams on the field of competition at the same time, some kind of score being kept. But even that loose definition gets blurry when you throw in something like ping pong. No reason it shouldn't qualify, tennis does, but it doesn't pass the gut test.

All in all I have contributed nothing but a nearly random bukkake of words spewed from my braincock. Enjoy.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Chess is recognized as a sport by the IOC so you're going to have to tweak your definition.

Professional Starcraft needs to fit somewhere as well.

I've heard car racing referred to as "Motorsports" but my feelings about it are nonchalant at best.

Sit ups by yourself, no. See rule #1.

Darts, yes. Satisfies all 3 rules. The physical aspect does not have to be strength or endurance. It can be hand eye coordination. It takes a lot of physical muscle memory training to be able to consistently hit a given spot on a dart board.

Ping pong, yes.

Chess, no. It doesn't have to have any physical aspect. Stephen Hawking is probably one of the best chess players in the world.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
By these crazy rules golf is a sport, and we all know that's nonsense.

Caliane

yeah. what is and isn't is really hard to lock down.

Sports vs competition.

Well, isn't any competition that is organized into a formatted league what defines a sport?
Yeah, I'm going to go with that.

THAT is what makes a sport a sport. Governing body with established universal rules, so that various competitions have a uniform baseline to compare events.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah. what is and isn't is really hard to lock down.

Sports vs competition.

Well, isn't any competition that is organized into a formatted league what defines a sport?
Yeah, I'm going to go with that.
Indeed. Like high school debates!

hqo6P.jpg

Look at those amazing athletes.

hqo6P.jpg

hqo6P.jpg

hqo6P.jpg

So anything that's highly athletic is a sport?

Worlds strongest man competitions?

Lumberjack competitions?

Hardcore parkour?

Yes I consider bowling a sport. Who cares if some good bowlers are fat. Look at offensive linemen, look at shot putters.

I don't confuse the participants with the activity, which is what you seem to be doing.

jon1mv_sl

shitlord
So the atheism thread and definitions of atheism/anti-theism got me thinking of this debate I've been having at work. My coworker keeps arguing that auto racing is not a sport because the driver isn't doing the work. I counter with my own definition of sport:

1. Must be competitive in nature, with a clear winner.
2. Must contain some physical element, such as endurance, speed, coordination.
3. Judging cannot be the primary determinant of the winner.

So in my definition, things like gymnastics and diving are not sports due to rule #3. Needless to say this get me many looks of consternation.

With these rules, auto racing qualifies as a sport. What say you all?
In Spain, we consider zapping and tumbing (lay in the sofa), actual sports.... it hurts to look back 1o years...

Szlia

What is the goal here? Trying to find your own definition of what you think is a sport or find a concise definition that covers all activities that are 'generally' considered as sports and leave out activities that are 'generally' not?

For the second I propose:"A competition format for individuals or teams based on a set of agreed upon rules and managed by an official governing body" The last part is badly formulated I feel, yet it is key: that's the difference between a game and a sport.

Good luck trying to craft a personal definition that excludes table tennis though!