Dental Problems

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Lost a front tooth this week. Pretty much just ignored it because I'm too busy to worry about it, but it needs to be dealt with. Had this happen about 15 years ago and got an implant at the time for a grand total of about $1200. Nowadays apparently the same thing costs like 3 or 4 thousand? WTF.

Heard there are a lot of "implant studies" at dental schools in cities and whatnot and you can get one for half price at one of those places. Even half price would be kind of nuts though. I hear Costa Rica (and probably a bunch of other places) does implants super-cheap. Given how much plane tickets cost these days, if I have to fly back and forth to, say, Germany, the plane tickets will cost like 4x as much as the actual implant I'm getting.

So no matter what I'm basically getting fucked by the current feeding frenzy of inflation. Costa Rica might be easier since it's almost a domestic flight.

Any dental insurances out there that cover implants? Even if so, I'm guessing they won't do it for a pre-existing condition. I've got a couple of molars that need to be replaced eventually so I might as well get on a better insurance regardless. What I have now covers root canals and crowns which is nice, but doesn't help when a tooth is straight-up missing.

Well, haven't looked into much yet. Any solutions?

Goatface

this was one of the top search results
clicked on a few, closest places didn't have anything about their clinic. just randomly click on a few, vcu (richmond,va) talks a lot about their clinic but only price i can find is $80 1st visit. Louisville ky has a pdf about prosthodontic clinic saying cost estimates after an exam and not everyone are accepted as students need variety of problems. it also has this
1704563205327.png

another one, said they only take low income. guess just check to see if anything in your area.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
this was one of the top search results
clicked on a few, closest places didn't have anything about their clinic. just randomly click on a few, vcu (richmond,va) talks a lot about their clinic but only price i can find is $80 1st visit. Louisville ky has a pdf about prosthodontic clinic saying cost estimates after an exam and not everyone are accepted as students need variety of problems. it also has this
View attachment 507655
another one, said they only take low income. guess just check to see if anything in your area.

So far the impression I'm getting is that I'm completely f*****ed. Well, time to empty my wallet for some dental practice.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Any dental insurances out there that cover implants? Even if so, I'm guessing they won't do it for a pre-existing condition. I've got a couple of molars that need to be replaced eventually so I might as well get on a better insurance regardless. What I have now covers root canals and crowns which is nice, but doesn't help when a tooth is straight-up missing.

Many dental plans do, but:
(a) it's usually considered major restorative, so expect 60% plan pay/40% out of pocket when in network at best, and
(b) if you get an individual dental plan, there is typically a one year elimination period where coverage on major restorative is reduced or nonexistent, and
(c) you may need to contend with a preexisting condition clause as you stated (not all plans exclude, but some do), and
(d) unlike post-Obamacare health insurance, dental insurance has annual benefit maximums, so the plan "shuts off" after paying a certain amount per year, typically $1000-$1500. Implants are expensive, so there's a pretty good chance you may hit the benefit maximum.

Check out Aetna; you get free CVS Carepass along with it, which gives you $10/mo at CVS, so it helps defray the cost a bit. Their vision plan is also very good if you need it, and you can bundle to save a bit. Humana has a good rep too, but they tend to be pretty pricey. Dental Dental traditionally has had a wide network, but a lot of dentists have been dropping off their network due to allegedly anticompetitive practices, especially DD of California (like Blue Cross, Delta is a consortium of individual state companies that sell products under the Delta name, not one company.)

I'm always happy to help you evaluate insurance if you decide to go that route.

If you don't want insurance, your best bet (if you can't find a cheap dental school) is finding a small, independently owned dentist office (not a Monarch Dental or SmileGeneration), and telling them up front that you'll be cash pay. Many of them will be willing to cut you a discount because they don't want (from their perspective) the headache of dealing with insurance claims.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Seven Out

Trakanon Raider
Look up Los Algondones. Crazy dental hub just over the border in Mexico. I had a friend that would get all his work done there to save money.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Check out Aetna; you get free CVS Carepass along with it, which gives you $10/mo at CVS, so it helps defray the cost a bit. Their vision plan is also very good if you need it, and you can bundle to save a bit.
i have aetna, are we talking like free yearly eye exams? (actually i think i pay 15$ upfront, actually i should have it scheduled this month) or like if i get old man cataracts i'll be good?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
i have aetna, are we talking like free yearly eye exams? (actually i think i pay 15$ upfront, actually i should have it scheduled this month) or like if i get old man cataracts i'll be good?

Every company sells multiple insurance products, so it's very difficult for me to tell how good your specific coverage is without seeing your summary of benefits or contract (devil is always in the details with insurance), but as a whole, Aetna has a pretty wide network, and they have good customer service ratings (at least as far as insurance companies go.)

This is the product Aetna directly sells to individuals in Texas. Employer sponsored coverage pretty much always has better costs and allowances than individuals because companies negotiate as a group of people instead of just one person. But for individuals, this is pretty good.

1704755730561.png

Routine eye exam for zero copay is good; I've seen copays of $10 or $15 before. I wouldn't say outstanding, because a lot of plans offer zero copay exams, but it's on the better side. Bear in mind a lot of optometrists want you to do retinal scanning, which usually adds a $39 copay to the base cost. You can refuse and probably should unless you have a history of diabetes, glaucoma, retinopathy, etc. in your family.

Frame allowance of $130 is a little low (I usually see around $150), but not awful. Doable at Costco.

Lens copay of $25 is about average.

Cataracts usually fall under medical insurance instead of vision insurance because they need to be addressed by an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist) and surgically corrected.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Any brit advice, Chris Chris ?

I'd try going to Heidelberg Germany, where I nearly went to medical school before I pussied out.

Not sure what their prices are these days but they have a lot of great dental clinics that seemed way more affordable than the US and probably more competent.

Look up Los Algondones. Crazy dental hub just over the border in Mexico. I had a friend that would get all his work done there to save money.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about going to Costa Rica, but it'd be a lot easier to go to San Diego and just bop southeast a bit to that place.

$750 for an implant there is pretty solid. US price is more like $3200. Apparently a full arch (four I think) of implants is $2500. Maybe I'll just get all four front teeth replaced since the 3 that are left are pretty beat up too. Hate to get rid of perfectly good roots though and there's no guarantee any of this will work out, not like Mexico has a malpractice department or anything.

But yeah, when I'm around San Diego I'll see about bopping over and getting this done.

There's a news report about the place that says "It's better to pay a little more and get dental work done in the US where it's safer" and I'm thinking.... no shit, but also, a little more? $3200 versus $750 isn't a little more. American medical prices are a joke.