Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Xevy

Log Wizard
I hope it doesn't bomb so hard that they get buttmad and don't let D2 Modders use the D2R engine. That's my only hope for this game.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Early D3 turned into a battle vs the AH bots to buy all resist gear so you could progress. Many classes were not Inferno capable and once the Tyrael follower cheese made the rounds people abused that as long as they could. But then the mileage dropped off as the game regressed into the 5 stack Nephilim buff for better drop rates and poopsockers praying for $$$ sellable drops.

D4 won't be that bad, but it has no general incentive to play at launch (or possibly ever) either.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I hope it doesn't bomb so hard that they get buttmad and don't let D2 Modders use the D2R engine. That's my only hope for this game.
It won't bomb. It might not be GLORIOUS but it'll be a fine game. Don't let the doom and gloomers get to you. Plenty of praise going around for it elsewhere.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I don't think anything blizzard does can 'bomb'. Look at this forum, a lot of blizzard hate, but they all line up for their next shit sandwich in wow.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nobody seriously thought D4 is going to bomb.

However-- D3 expac sales were poor enough to cut support for the game and cancel a nearly finished 2nd expac.

Damage can be done to this franchise.

Don't be confused about that.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
I don't think anything blizzard does can 'bomb'. Look at this forum, a lot of blizzard hate, but they all line up for their next shit sandwich in wow.
If you mean bomb in the sense that Blizz actually loses real money on it... Yeah not likely for quite a bit. But..

War3 re-done or whatever it was called definitely bombed. HOTS took a bit, but in the grand scheme it probably bombed. OW2 is looking pretty bomb worthy.
It's been semi clear from the metrics that they actually do release that more and more of their income is coming from their audience buying gold/pets/ whale shit than box sales and subs. Obviously from a cash flow perspective it would take a MASSIVE fuckup to disrupt that, but from a, let's say middle of the road player in WOW. I'd bet it just looks like a goddamn wasteland most of the time. The commercially incentivized world first crew are gonna drag all the try-hards in their direction, and buy out servers worth of gold caps every raid tier, and the super casuals are gonna casual it up and buy stupid pets and mounts. And sadly that is probably cash positive for them, and will be for quite some time.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I bought D3 on release and beat Diablo on Inferno before the big difficulty nerf without resorting to the RMAH. I didn't have much interest in RoS but did finally end up buying it this year on sale, enjoyed seasonal play well enough to feel like it was a worthwhile purchase.

Won't play D4 even if I was offered a free copy.

• 1Edgelord

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This game is going to be fine, you people are so fucking butthurt and weird.

• 2Picard
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
we'll see. D3 was a disaster at launch imo. But it got better later and some of the seasons were fun to play for a week or two.

Still happy to call blizzard greedy fucks though, with the battle pass, on top of store, on top of increased box price(And that shitty ass thing they call a collectors edition). The increased box price I could agree with, as that is turning into the norm and box prices haven't gone up in a long ass time.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Ya as much as I fucking hate Blizzard I think this game will be solid and worth buying. They do have some very talented people working there. The main scummery comes from the higher ups and the ones pulling the strings, not usually the devs themselves. It's almost impossible that this won't be significantly better than D3.

• 2Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Even with the shit show that was Inferno and RMAH, story aside, D3 wasn't nearly as bad as some of you crybabies make it out to be. Much better than what most of the ARPG genre shits out.

• 4Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I made like 18k off D3 and helped claw myself out of poverty lol.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm cool on the whole Battlepass thing, but I'll stay with the development until launch to point out how it's not any better than D3.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Nobody seriously thought D4 is going to bomb.

However-- D3 expac sales were poor enough to cut support for the game and cancel a nearly finished 2nd expac.

Damage can be done to this franchise.

Don't be confused about that.
What was the second expansion supposed to be? I didn't realize that happened.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What was the second expansion supposed to be? I didn't realize that happened.
They hadn't anounced it, so I don't think it was "nearly finished". It was probably a fair bit away which is why they cut it rather than just finish it and release it for "free" money. They added the stuff they had done later on as patches, especially the one big patch that had new tilesets(the frozen mountains shit) and the cube, that was likely going to be the expansion main content stuff.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They hadn't anounced it, so I don't think it was "nearly finished". It was probably a fair bit away which is why they cut it rather than just finish it and release it for "free" money. They added the stuff they had done later on as patches, especially the one big patch that had new tilesets(the frozen mountains shit) and the cube, that was likely going to be the expansion main content stuff.

Yep that good old "free" money. Good play.

It was cancelled by one guy summarily without a vote abruptly in a meeting that wasn't even about cancelling the expac, ambushing the project leads without warning. This was found out during the MeToo leaks at Blizzard.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This type of stuff is common at Blizzard apparently. In light of the D4 leaks from former devs posted a few pages back, where a weekend would go by and a major design decision would be completely trashed or reversed without warning in 48 hours without further discussion.

The way the D3 expac was cancelled is the same way Blizzard operates to this day, even after all the changing of the guard.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's why I put the quotes on free, obviously it wouldn't be free, but if it was close to a release state, it would likely have cost less to release and get money out of the boxes than scrap it then still add a bunch of the things later for free. It likely still was pretty early enough and whoever made the decision felt like it wasn't going to sell well enough even if they did put a bunch more money into it and they didn't want to rework it, but they wouldn't have made the decision if the expansion was close to being done. And yeah Blizzard scraps(or scrapped, don't know about nowadays) stuff often, like the Ghost starcraft game that they actually announced, or the mmo they cancelled and made Overwatch with.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Goddamn this looks like dogshit. Plus the character customization section looks like fucking plastic. This looks exactly like Diablo 3, I figured we would see some improvement upon it. Given D3 came out 10 fucking years ago.

• 2Barf
Reactions: 1 users