Diablo II - Resurrected

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
You really have a hate hardon for Blizzard, lol. Just because I do not instantly denounce D4 as utter trash, or that I am willing to see how it ends up isn't really being optimistic, but maybe you're so caught up in your own dislike of Blizzard that you find it unreasonable for anyone not to share your level of hate towards them (ps. I think the company, as it is, is utter trash).

I am not denouncing anything.

I am saying that given their track record, there is no reason for optimism.

Somehow you see this rational statement as "hate for blizzard".

Ok bro, just get that DVD.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Unlike the stock market past performance does have an indicator of future performance.

joz123

Potato del Grande
This is one of the many hilarious things about gamers, allowing the industry to get away with their shit practices.

"who cares if their last 10 products have been shit, and they've ruined all their good ones, you are being very pessimistic!"

It isn't pessimism if it is based on track record, what you mean is common sense.
Track records don't matter for games. A company could make 1000 shitty games but one of them is awesome. Or in CDPR's case they make good games then a crap one.

Borzak

If you make 1000 shitty games before you have a good one I would say past performance has been a good indicator of future performance.

If a guy worked for me and fucked up 1,000 things before he got one right or even one beyond right he would not be a good employee.

Caliane

Are there any good examples of shit game, shit game, holy shit balls good game?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

I'd say with Blizzard is more a case of trying to milk things done long ago when those people are no longer with the company and the entire industry has changed and their inter office shit has changed.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am not denouncing anything.

I am saying that given their track record, there is no reason for optimism.

Somehow you see this rational statement as "hate for blizzard".

Ok bro, just get that DVD.
Its odd though. You think I'm being optimistic by not saying D4 will be shit. I do think that game, as it looks and animates, looks good. That does not mean the game itself will be good. The most optimistic thing I've said is that I'm willing to judge the game when it releases, and I don't really consider that to be optimistic about the game at all. I find that to be more neutral.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Your position lacks any substance, which you say would take more effort than you're willing to put forth. That is fine, but still lacks any substance. Lets take the Rogue gameplay. How did it look bad? Compared to what? I wasn't impressed, but it looked well animated. We saw both Bow and Melee skills, neither seemed amazing, but worked well. The damage of the skills looked poor, but does that surprise you? Would it have made any difference if every skill one shot every mob? I doubt it. So, what did the Rogue gameplay compare poorly against? Give some example, if you can, of "worthwhile" gameplay.

You watched an archer physically tank a big monster with a big over sized sword while shooting a bow at it point blank, while her HP bar didn't move at all, as if to say, "hey I don't even know what the fuck is the purpose of a bow and arrow, and I have no idea how kite builds work, nor even leverage in your mind that if they even did understand a kite build, the most they've accomplished is replicating one of the most basic principle class arch types. So that would be the best then that you could even hope for...emulating mechanics from 20 + year old game design.

you watched a screen filled with bull shit numbers taking up the entire screen that mean nothing, trash mobs all die in one or two hits, with a video game that decides in a v-i-d-e-o game that the best course of action to indicate you've evaded an attack is to drop a big ass "DODGE" in the middle of the screen, because words that express action in a v-i-d-e-o game in the year 2021, is the superior expression of the form. Like we should all be playing MUDS right now.

You watched an introduction character of a "badass" Female Rogue, whose personality in a world where there are two forces, Giant Hell Spawns that want to Rape and Destroy everything....and literally anything that's not a Giant Hell Spawn that wants to Rape and Destroy everything, tell us that she's "not no good guy! she's an edgy badass.. and blah, blah, fucking blah" somehow that was worthy exposition for you to sit through?

Have you bothered to ask the question, "Why did they reintroduce the Rogue?", hasn't the class been eclipsed by multiple other classes, that do the same or more? Is it just for nostalgia, shit does their demographic even have nostalgia for D1?"

Do you play games to just fill a void?

How did any of those 40 minutes at all look like anything more, than at best, an inferior rehash of something that's been done thousands of times before, but realistically, didn't even get that right.

• 2Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Fuck man, that's all you're getting from me, unless you plan to put me on retainer to fix your stupid fucking game

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Track records don't matter for games. A company could make 1000 shitty games but one of them is awesome. Or in CDPR's case they make good games then a crap one.
I understand that 10 yr old playstations and xboxes had a hard time with the game, and sure, thats on CDPR for trying to cash in on those old consoles. (Which BTW, they gave refunds for, right?) But this does not make what they made a bad game. Is it GOTY material? Maybe not, but its far from a bad game, lol. I played through it twice, have about 150 hrs and probably will play through it again in the future when they add some more shit to it. Ran perfectly fine on my PC with a 1070. did you even play it? Or you just regurgitating the internets dumb shit?

joz123

Potato del Grande
I understand that 10 yr old playstations and xboxes had a hard time with the game, and sure, thats on CDPR for trying to cash in on those old consoles. (Which BTW, they gave refunds for, right?) But this does not make what they made a bad game. Is it GOTY material? Maybe not, but its far from a bad game, lol. I played through it twice, have about 150 hrs and probably will play through it again in the future when they add some more shit to it. Ran perfectly fine on my PC with a 1070. did you even play it? Or you just regurgitating the internets dumb shit?
I played it. Didn't think the end product was worth all the hype. Crap is probably the wrong word for it. Mediocre fits better.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You watched an archer physically tank a big monster with a big over sized sword while shooting a bow at it point blank, while her HP bar didn't move at all, as if to say, "hey I don't even know what the fuck is the purpose of a bow and arrow, and I have no idea how kite builds work, nor even leverage in your mind that if they even did understand a kite build, the most they've accomplished is replicating one of the most basic principle class arch types. So that would be the best then that you could even hope for...emulating mechanics from 20 + year old game design.

you watched a screen filled with bull shit numbers taking up the entire screen that mean nothing, trash mobs all die in one or two hits, with a video game that decides in a v-i-d-e-o game that the best course of action to indicate you've evaded an attack is to drop a big ass "DODGE" in the middle of the screen, because words that express action in a v-i-d-e-o game in the year 2021, is the superior expression of the form. Like we should all be playing MUDS right now.

You watched an introduction character of a "badass" Female Rogue, whose personality in a world where there are two forces, Giant Hell Spawns that want to Rape and Destroy everything....and literally anything that's not a Giant Hell Spawn that wants to Rape and Destroy everything, tell us that she's "not no good guy! she's an edgy badass.. and blah, blah, fucking blah" somehow that was worthy exposition for you to sit through?

Have you bothered to ask the question, "Why did they reintroduce the Rogue?", hasn't the class been eclipsed by multiple other classes, that do the same or more? Is it just for nostalgia, shit does their demographic even have nostalgia for D1?"

Do you play games to just fill a void?

How did any of those 40 minutes at all look like anything more, than at best, an inferior rehash of something that's been done thousands of times before, but realistically, didn't even get that right.
What game(s) do you currently play, that you enjoy? Did you want Blizzard/D4 to re-invent the ARPG genre? I hope not. I think we can both agree that certainly isn't happening. Yet, they are using indeed "20+ yr old game design" because it seems to be what millions upon millions of people want to play. In terms of gameplay, that hasn't changed much at all, especially recently. Consider these two gameplay vids of popular, non Blizzard ARPGs:

Lost Ark:

Path of Exile: (this is a bit extreme)

Maybe I should have posted two low level / undergeared videos of LA / PoE to compare to the Rogue gameplay, but its probably not necessary. I doubt anything is going to change in the ARPG genre, so unless you find all other ARPG to be as sad as you consider current D3/D4, I imagine you won't play them. Though, if you play PoE, its probably due to that games systems and not its combat.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
100%. that was entirely the point of course. they did it on purpose.

The terraria thread, and suggestion of Calamity mod, then here me even talking about median xl for ressurected. I started to wonder why more games don't take that expac approach these days. adding new levels, items, bosses.
it did occur to me. Thats EXACTLY what PoE is doing with its leagues.
You even see it with a game like No Man's Sky, where they are consistently making updates to keep it relevant. Again, it's another game that tends to receive pretty good praise because of it. In fact, No Man's Sky might be the best example of it, because they're doing it all without microtransactions and DLC.

I really don't understand why more companies aren't doing this, especially in a world where you can get away with microtransactions and charging for cosmetics, similar to what GGG does.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This thread is like the Pantheon thread now but without the funny gifs sprinkled in

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What game(s) do you currently play, that you enjoy? Did you want Blizzard/D4 to re-invent the ARPG genre? I hope not. I think we can both agree that certainly isn't happening. Yet, they are using indeed "20+ yr old game design" because it seems to be what millions upon millions of people want to play. In terms of gameplay, that hasn't changed much at all, especially recently. Consider these two gameplay vids of popular, non Blizzard ARPGs:

Lost Ark:

Maybe I should have posted two low level / undergeared videos of LA / PoE to compare to the Rogue gameplay, but its probably not necessary. I doubt anything is going to change in the ARPG genre, so unless you find all other ARPG to be as sad as you consider current D3/D4, I imagine you won't play them. Though, if you play PoE, its probably due to that games systems and not its combat.
Is that the 300+ exalt cold blade vortex build?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>

Lost Ark:

What is your end goal here, to have a conversation with me?

you're saying that with D4 they're going to recreate D3, which I agree with, that's what they're going to do. I'm saying D3 was shit, and I guess you're saying it wasn't?

They're certainly not recreating D2, maybe D2 Resurrected will be a recreation of D2, which will be better than 3, but also just that, the same game made again.

So your points are

A: D3 is not shit

B: Blizzard doesn't need to do anything new, because we should want the same game released every four years.

Survival Horror : The draw is Fear

RPG: The draw is Satisfaction

Diablo RPG: Stream Lined Satisfaction

How does Survival Horror innovate? They find new ways to package fear

How do Diablo RPG's innovate? They find new ways package accomplishment

well 4 is greater than 3 so that's innovative ...?

Why was there such a huge skew between D2 and D3? Why was Blizzard North Disbanded? Hurrr dur

The game play mechanics will be the same or worse ...

The story is several times worse ...

How many times can one person gain satisfaction from building a Whirl Wind Barbarian sir? But now our Barbarians, you know the one's based on Celts/Vikings, that lived on top of a very cold mountain, can come in different melanin pigments, and look androgynous, that adds value, fuck any lore, we can always retcon that shit, pander to the woke, invent nothing new, try nothing new. We couldn't make a sequel to D2, because we aren't talented like Blizzard North was so let's try to remake the same game, but also mess that up because we don't know how to bottle Satisfaction.