Diablo II - Resurrected

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Last epoch is probably going to hit this year. Project TL maybe this year? Magic: Legends, POE2? Project Witchstone, Naxia, Gatewalkers... And also crpg and arpg could be the same thing really. I mean if you look at a game like Pillars of Eternity (1-2) they are pretty much the same shit as diablo except larger and deeper. Only huge difference really is instead of one dude, you control an entire party. Besides that its the same shit, prove me wrong. Some are turn based but most you can turn that shit off. In fact Pillars of Eternity does not have turn based mode, its pretty much live action with pausing and making corrections if you want. They have quests, side quests, main story... Yeah both genres I could call brothers. Some are even coming out that mix other genres into them like survival co-op, roguelike, some will have procedural generated worlds etc... All diablo like 3/4 down graphics.
Pillars of Eternity the same as Diablo? Are you trolling right now? That's like saying 4x and RTS are practically the same thing since they both feature tech trees, "base building", and combat units. Do you really think Civ 5 is comparable to StarCraft 2?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sub genere maybe. Everywhere I look they all list the two side by side, including the new roguelike 3/4 and the new survival co-op 3/4. Are they exactly the same, no. But if you like one I cant see you not liking the other unless you have something against controlling a whole party instead of one dude. I would consider the other sub genres a growth out from the OG diablo and even before that Zelda.

Anyway diablo like games are not dying, lol.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Sub genere maybe. Everywhere I look they all list the two side by side, including the new roguelike 3/4 and the new survival co-op 3/4. Are they exactly the same, no. But if you like one I cant see you not liking the other unless you have something against controlling a whole party instead of one dude. I would consider the other sub genres a growth out from the OG diablo and even before that Zelda.
Absolutely I would classify ARPG as a sub-genre of CRPGs. There's a reason one is "action" RPG and the other is "classical" RPG. As technology got better in the gaming space, it became easier and easier to transition away from traditional or "classical" systems (such as turn-based). So, I agree that the lines sometimes blur a little bit (The Witcher, for example, is probably considered a CRPG, but it definitely has ARPG elements), but I play ARPGs and CRPGs for entirely different reasons. They both offer completely different things.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Pathfinder:Wrath of the Righteous is slated for this year. Currently my favorite CRPG even over BG3.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Well I can certainly say that as far as I'm concerned, crpg and arpg are not something I would ever consider grouped together. And I have played some of the "recent" crpgs like D:OS2, PoE1/2 (as in Pillars of Eternity) and am looking at maybe getting the Pathfinders and BG3.

But those scratch an entirely different itch than arpgs.

Caliane

yes yes. CRPG and ARPG have evolved over time.

their meanings now, aren't quite their meanings back in the day.

It should be noted, for example. The original Divinity, was an action rpg because it came out just after Diablo. Lots of Ultimas had action combat. even baldurs gate, etc had action combat, as you can even see still in pathfinder:kingmaker.

arpg these days tends to be more specific to the diablo style lootathon.
But like Crosscode. a secret of Evermore style.. action rpg. or legend of zelda itself.. is an action rpg.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nintendo should totally do an ARPG version of Zelda, that would rock. How could you not love Link + loot explosions

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

theres a few indies we dont talk about.. beyond even last Epoch. things like Darksburg. warhammer inquisitor, or whatever. theres more, I don't even remember all the ones I've seen and never tried.

then, theres also the roguelites. like, what do you guys think of something like Wizard of Legend? theres a bunch of those too. which lean more into the progressive gen side of things.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So to spend the time it would take to break down and explain all of where the game looks as bad as D3 does, is time consuming, and it doesn't start and stop with aesthetics.

Now I will do this, if you can verify you're a Blizzard Developer that can impact the game and improve it, more specifically, that you would listen and make the changes necessary.

However; I'm not going to offer the auspice to a random poster, this implies there's an argument about the game to be had, whereby I can possibly impact your position, which I probably can't, and I have no reason to want to.

If you saw D4, and you were like, "Yeah that's the game for me...." Why would I tell you different?

Likewise, you have no chance in the nine hells of changing my position. I've looked at the game and taken a position. I'm 33 years old, I've been playing games since I was a toddler, I can look at video footage and make fairly astute observations about how the game will play and behave, and determine if its worth investment or not. I can do this the same way I can watch a movie trailer and choose to be interested in it, or pass on it.
Pathetic.

As far as I've seen here, no one has stated D4 is going to be amazing, most say it will suck simply due a well deserved pessimistic attitude towards Blizzard. Some say it will be shit because its not like PoE. You might be the first to say it sucks (just by looking at alpha level gameplay) because it looks too much like D3. I just find that odd. The only similarity in D4 that I see from D3 are the smooth combat animations, and actual combat was the best thing about D3. Everything else we've seen seems to show that D4 is going in a different direction than D3.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
theres a few indies we dont talk about.. beyond even last Epoch. things like Darksburg. warhammer inquisitor, or whatever. theres more, I don't even remember all the ones I've seen and never tried.

then, theres also the roguelites. like, what do you guys think of something like Wizard of Legend? theres a bunch of those too. which lean more into the progressive gen side of things.
I really wish that those other ARPGs would add a "season" type system to keep things fresh. For all of its faults, PoE's seasonal system is probably the largest reason that the game continues to stay relevant.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Pathetic.

As far as I've seen here, no one has stated D4 is going to be amazing, most say it will suck simply due a well deserved pessimistic attitude towards Blizzard.

This is one of the many hilarious things about gamers, allowing the industry to get away with their shit practices.

"who cares if their last 10 products have been shit, and they've ruined all their good ones, you are being very pessimistic!"

It isn't pessimism if it is based on track record, what you mean is common sense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Pathetic.

As far as I've seen here, no one has stated D4 is going to be amazing, most say it will suck simply due a well deserved pessimistic attitude towards Blizzard. Some say it will be shit because its not like PoE. You might be the first to say it sucks (just by looking at alpha level gameplay) because it looks too much like D3. I just find that odd. The only similarity in D4 that I see from D3 are the smooth combat animations, and actual combat was the best thing about D3. Everything else we've seen seems to show that D4 is going in a different direction than D3.

Yeah Chief,

Video Game company makes shitty game, does ok enough based on attention given from previous IP's success to warrant a sequel.

Somehow this means where the last game was shit, the next game won't be.

You're telling me you watched that 40 minutes of the Rogue gameplay, and thought that looked good?

I watched ten minutes of that, skipped around to see if there was anything at all that looked remotely worthwhile.

If your position is you liked D3, then yes, you'll like D4.

My position is D3 was shit, D4 looks like shit put through a soft serve ice cream machine and re-served.

My other position is it's not my job to convince you it will be shit, have no fucking clue how you watched that gameplay, and where like, "Yeah, I'm gonna invest hours of my life into this....", but Michael Bay made plenty of Transformer movies and there's like 8 Fast and the Furious Movies, so it stands to reason there's margins for it. Fast and the Furious was a good movie, somehow that leveraged a franchise, same vein as the Matrix. It doesn't change the fact that the Matrix sequels were mostly shit.

Yeah there's exceptions but usually you can tell like whether the Studio A Office made it, versus the Studio B e.g. Capcom's Resident Evil; almost always a great game, followed up with a shit/shitter game.

Have no reason to believe that'll be the case here, they've provided plenty of footage, and revealed plenty of thoughtless decisions which show a lack of appreciation for world/lore building, narrative exposition, or evolution in game mechanics.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really wish that those other ARPGs would add a "season" type system to keep things fresh. For all of its faults, PoE's seasonal system is probably the largest reason that the game continues to stay relevant.
It is the only reason PoE gets any attention. The game would still be considered great, but that steady flow of "new" keeps it alive.

Caliane

100%. that was entirely the point of course. they did it on purpose.

The terraria thread, and suggestion of Calamity mod, then here me even talking about median xl for ressurected. I started to wonder why more games don't take that expac approach these days. adding new levels, items, bosses.
it did occur to me. Thats EXACTLY what PoE is doing with its leagues.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is one of the many hilarious things about gamers, allowing the industry to get away with their shit practices.

"who cares if their last 10 products have been shit, and they've ruined all their good ones, you are being very pessimistic!"

It isn't pessimism if it is based on track record, what you mean is common sense.
Why waste time making posts about it? Common sense would dictate that you ignore it, since it can only end up being bad (the game), so why bother?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Why waste time making posts about it? Common sense would dictate that you ignore it, since it can only end up being bad (the game), so why bother?

So you can post optimistic statements, which disregard at least 5 years of blizzard being a terrible company, and I can't comment on them?

Perhaps you should buy this on DVD, and shove it up your ass.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah Chief,

Video Game company makes shitty game, does ok enough based on attention given from previous IP's success to warrant a sequel.

Somehow this means where the last game was shit, the next game won't be.

You're telling me you watched that 40 minutes of the Rogue gameplay, and thought that looked good?

I watched ten minutes of that, skipped around to see if there was anything at all that looked remotely worthwhile.

If your position is you liked D3, then yes, you'll like D4.

My position is D3 was shit, D4 looks like shit put through a soft serve ice cream machine and re-served.

My other position is it's not my job to convince you it will be shit, have no fucking clue how you watched that gameplay, and where like, "Yeah, I'm gonna invest hours of my life into this....", but Michael Bay made plenty of Transformer movies and there's like 8 Fast and the Furious Movies, so it stands to reason there's margins for it. Fast and the Furious was a good movie, somehow that leveraged a franchise, same vein as the Matrix. It doesn't change the fact that the Matrix sequels were mostly shit.

Yeah there's exceptions but usually you can tell like whether the Studio A Office made it, versus the Studio B e.g. Resident Evil almost always produces a great game, followed up with a shit/shitter game.

Have no reason to believe that'll be the case here, they've provided plenty of footage, and revealed plenty of thoughtless decisions which show a lack of appreciation for world/lore building, narrative exposition, or evolution in game mechanics.
Your position lacks any substance, which you say would take more effort than you're willing to put forth. That is fine, but still lacks any substance. Lets take the Rogue gameplay. How did it look bad? Compared to what? I wasn't impressed, but it looked well animated. We saw both Bow and Melee skills, neither seemed amazing, but worked well. The damage of the skills looked poor, but does that surprise you? Would it have made any difference if every skill one shot every mob? I doubt it. So, what did the Rogue gameplay compare poorly against? Give some example, if you can, of "worthwhile" gameplay.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you can post optimistic statements, which disregard at least 5 years of blizzard being a terrible company, and I can't comment on them?

Perhaps you should buy this on DVD, and shove it up your ass.
You really have a hate hardon for Blizzard, lol. Just because I do not instantly denounce D4 as utter trash, or that I am willing to see how it ends up isn't really being optimistic, but maybe you're so caught up in your own dislike of Blizzard that you find it unreasonable for anyone not to share your level of hate towards them (ps. I think the company, as it is, is utter trash).