Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Last Epoch, which is probably being made in a rented office that used to be a Great Clips, looks light years ahead of this turd. Blizzard has more money than god to make a game.

as a result of this D4 news I am checking into Last Epoch

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think Blizzard has WoW and Diablo backwards at this point. Diablo should the the one with a million secondary talent systems that produce hard-to-balance power creep and WoW should just be about having really balanced characters with fleshed out toolkits for handling encounters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
yep. % based class tuning murdered WoW. sucked the fun out of rotations.

we had some great posts on it during BFA pre-patch as I recall. Summarizing its effect on the game.

As soon as Blizzard gained the ability to just touch a dial (% based tuning) and roll down or roll up all of the damage on every single ability across the board, rather than individually engineer and tune aspects of a rotation or special ability or power, that was the end of traditional WoW combat experience. And that was the beginning of the "janitor era" of WoW development.

With % based tuning you don't need creativity or to create systems that are good. You can make shit systems, and then use the % based dial to "fix" it.

It enabled the McDonalds design we have today.

% based tuning is the free pass for everything possible they could do wrong. The H team janitor era was born.

the infamous wet-noodle pyroblast of BFA comes to mind. A victim of % based tuning. Every rotation became so anemic besides maybe rogues.

in case anyone doesn't know what % based tuning is, its when they take the summation of damage potential and then distribute that by % to each aspect of the rotation, like a volume dial on DPS, you just distribute then "turn down" the damage of every single ability. homogenized rotations were born this way. So a big complaint in BFA was you can do your rotation, and not feel a bang or punch. The reason was flat % based tuning. I forget what expansion it was introduced in. I know BFA is most famous for it due to the backlash it received for anemic rotations. But I would guess it's existed since after WoD.

tldr; so rather than have damage spikes, you just have a flat maintenance of dps on your rotation. every ability contributing a relatively similar impact, with no spikes or peaks like traditional WoW combat circa say WOTLK or Cata. "we'll give you these items and legenadary, but we're also going to flatten the damage spikes in your rotation by lowering some base damage and multipliers". Mundane and boring.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I remember the damage spikes of Moonkin in Cata were probably the highlight of my fun on a caster.

90% of the time you were freekill-- but when boomkin RNG hit, the enemy felt it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Skill tree looks like any other skill tree I've seen. Basic ability at the forefront of the branch, followed by abilities that changes the original branches ability in some form or fashion. Then the roots are divisible by the same amount of points in all roots - so like has been said, you likely have to put some amount of points into the roots before skilling into Frost Bolts change further down the branch which now shoots a frost bolt in three directions. Not terribly imaginative looking, but you can't argue that it doesnt fit the basic principle.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amod Amod can move everything from Deathwing's comment down to BFA thread if fhey feel its best.

I didn't feel it fits the current SL expac discussion so just expanded and rehashed here.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
tldr; so rather than have damage spikes, you just have a flat maintenance of dps on your rotation. every ability contributing a relatively similar impact, with no spikes or peaks like traditional WoW combat circa say WOTLK or Cata. "we'll give you these items and legenadary, but we're also going to flatten the damage spikes in your rotation by lowering some base damage and multipliers". Mundane and boring.

This was definitely not true for Legion.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This was definitely not true for Legion.

Right Legion returned the spikey rotations and burst wars to update 1 or update 2 Cataclysm era or late WOTLK. It was very well-received.

After the end of late Cataclysm was when they began addressing spikes and outliers, but all out homogenized damage and rotations across the board using the % based tuning system didn't come into the field until BFA. The bitching was tremendous at first. The outrage was everywhere, and then people sucked it up and accepted it as the new normal, most you would get is a little comment on how stale n boring the combat feels but soon those people disappeared as well.

I don't remember any high tier movement by raiders or elite players saying take burst wars out of the game in PvP. It was literally just devs wanting to cater to other devs that play at the lowest denominator.

homogenizing rotations was a way to get PvP more balanced in their eyes. The impact of that ending up being paint-dry PvE.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Skill tree seems fine? I like the class mechanics too.

We don't need to shit on everything they do.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1NPC
  • 1Salty

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
When someone's most major complaint is the art that was used to display the skill tree you know they are going to complain about everything and can safely disregard their opinion.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
yep. % based class tuning murdered WoW. sucked the fun out of rotations.

we had some great posts on it during BFA pre-patch as I recall. Summarizing its effect on the game.

As soon as Blizzard gained the ability to just touch a dial (% based tuning) and roll down or roll up all of the damage on every single ability across the board, rather than individually engineer and tune aspects of a rotation or special ability or power, that was the end of traditional WoW combat experience. And that was the beginning of the "janitor era" of WoW development.

With % based tuning you don't need creativity or to create systems that are good. You can make shit systems, and then use the % based dial to "fix" it.

It enabled the McDonalds design we have today.

% based tuning is the free pass for everything possible they could do wrong. The H team janitor era was born.

the infamous wet-noodle pyroblast of BFA comes to mind. A victim of % based tuning. Every rotation became so anemic besides maybe rogues.

in case anyone doesn't know what % based tuning is, its when they take the summation of damage potential and then distribute that by % to each aspect of the rotation, like a volume dial on DPS, you just distribute then "turn down" the damage of every single ability. homogenized rotations were born this way. So a big complaint in BFA was you can do your rotation, and not feel a bang or punch. The reason was flat % based tuning. I forget what expansion it was introduced in. I know BFA is most famous for it due to the backlash it received for anemic rotations. But I would guess it's existed since after WoD.

giphy.gif

I don't fully understand this post but the whole fun of playing a DPS is to figure out a good rotation to blow the hell outta mobs and then adapt it to new encounters. To nerf that mechanic is totally bizarre.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Skill tree seems fine? I like the class mechanics too.

Is this your idea of a troll? Or do you just like being contrary?

Its hard to believe you'd actually be stupid enough to ignore the track record blizzard has the latest few years.

I am willing to believe though.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
When someone's most major complaint is the art that was used to display the skill tree you know they are going to complain about everything and can safely disregard their opinion.

I'm sure this will be at least as good as their warcraft remaster. At least!

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

Its hard to believe you'd actually be stupid enough to ignore the track record blizzard has the latest few years.

He doesn't seem to understand that the skill tree is a skill tree and not a skill tree.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I love skill trees but that image looks like some one photoshopped some icons over some concept art to make fun of the Diablo IV. Like all those rainbow pics when people were bashing the color choices in D3.

This being a phone game made by Activision leaves me with zero hope.

• 3Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The lameness of the literal tree concept might be forgiven if you get to choose stat point allocation, allow skills to top out at 20+ points, have skill synergies, and don't allow endless respecs.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

I don't have autism, so when I say that one aspect looks fine, it doesn't mean that my posts trashing D3, WoW or the last D4 update vanish.

It's most likely going to be shit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Witless

Trakanon Raider
Not sure what people are up in arms about. The real reason to keep an eye on Diablo IV isn’t for the gameplay. It’s to see what new wonders the cinematic department comes out with next. It’s the only department in Blizzard that has weathered the talent drain with any grace.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Not sure what people are up in arms about. The real reason to keep an eye on Diablo IV isn’t for the gameplay. It’s to see what new wonders the cinematic department comes out with next. It’s the only department in Blizzard that has weathered the talent drain with any grace.

It doesn't matter if their story is shitty and uninteresting. They killed Deckard and made Diablo Sheablo for whatever reason and made almost all of the angles dumb. At this point it is how badly can they fuck up the story beyond what they have already done?

I do agree that their cinematics are always the best.