Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What people play ARPGs for any reason OTHER than the item hunt? Where do they find these people? And why do they listen to them? Do they not understand that gear actually changes the way you build your character and set up their skill points and the interaction between those two things are what make an ARPG great?

This is going to be massively hyped, sell relatively well, and will be abandoned by 95% of players within a month tops.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Welp, I'm out.

D3 is shallow and boring for more than a week or two precisely because gear is inconsequential. You are fully geared in about 6-8 hours of playtime and then its all about Paragon. And they feel this is the correct approach and will be doing the same thing in D4...

What people play ARPGs for any reason OTHER than the item hunt? Where do they find these people? And why do they listen to them? Do they not understand that gear actually changes the way you build your character and set up their skill points and the interaction between those two things are what make an ARPG great?
This is yet another example of Blizzard not knowing how games work on any level. Basically, they will be ripping off POE's stupid skill system and pasting it over top of paragon and slapping it on D3 and calling it D4. Stat grinds are boring as fuck and don't give interesting things like item synergies and your Paragon 1000 character will play exactly like your Paragon 1 character...yay.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's quite a lot that should be copied from PoE and other games. Copying and refining is what Blizzard used to do best and they're actually at a place in the ARPG market where they're not the leader.

If they can manage to refine PoEs passive skill tree so it's not so initially daunting while keeping the inherent complexity, that would be quite the win for D4. I would say, ironically, Blizzard is in a better position to do this than GGG is.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Fuck PoE it can eat asshole. I just want a dark Gothic bloody r rated Diablo 2 with Diablo 3s smooth control and next gen graphics.

Retarded faggot overblown skill trees, retarded overblown crafting shit is all gayer than 8 dudes blowing 9 dudes.

I just wanna venture deep into a horror dungeon with death around each corner as I turn over each corpse and tomb for phat loots. As I kill horned goat demons I want to find a shiny artifact that I can make builds around not main stat dipshittery from WoW, or some American Inventor trash turbo ultra artifact primal aids. Just cool loot with reasonable RNG for some mindless killing sessions

• 6Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's quite a lot that should be copied from PoE and other games. Copying and refining is what Blizzard used to do best and they're actually at a place in the ARPG market where they're not the leader.

If they can manage to refine PoEs passive skill tree so it's not so initially daunting while keeping the inherent complexity, that would be quite the win for D4. I would say, ironically, Blizzard is in a better position to do this than GGG is.
So basically if you could turn PoE in to Diablo 3...

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think he is saying PoE and D3 should fuck and out of their litter you can pick the cub with the best genetic combination.
Every single system in PoE is dogshit. There isn't a redeeming quality in the game. On top of that it just continually gets worse with the system bloat they constantly leave in the game. If Diablo 3's paragon system didn't cap but turned in to diminishing returns, it would be a great system. That's basically what he was describing without realizing it.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Every single system in PoE is dogshit. There isn't a redeeming quality in the game. On top of that it just continually gets worse with the system bloat they constantly leave in the game. If Diablo 3's paragon system didn't cap but turned in to diminishing returns, it would be a great system. That's basically what he was describing without realizing it.
Well, I am not going to get into it with you, but a lot of people believe there are redeemable systems in both games, and a combination of said systems would make a quality, singular game. I hate D3 like slow poison, but I do not think it is entirely shit from bottom to top.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Gems are good (they were good as Materia in FF7), the implementation isn't fantastic with your main skill having 4 interchangeable passives linked to it. Side skills are usually more complexly linked and are good.

Crafting is too complicated, they need to prune 99% of the currencies.

League mechanics are usually pretty good.

Sphere grid is fantastic.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's not what I said. Builds and Paragon in D3 are not complex enough for a soft cap, as the game exists right now, to become interesting. The opportunity costs in PoE's passive skill "tree" is what makes PoB more interesting than PoE. D3 doesn't have that, that's why they need to start borrowing again from other games.

Last edited:

Xevy

Log Wizard
PoE and Diablo are now the Yin and the Yang of each other. One has perhaps an overwhelming amount of depth and the other is a casual ARPG you can "compete" in with rift boards. The people thinking D4 should be a clone of D2 must know that it's a retarded model for current games. Unless Blizzard plans to crank out content (Yeah fucking right) to keep people playing, it's a dead game one or two months in. If they just want to do box sale and then launch an expac every year maybe that's fine, but the D2 style of killing the same boss 1000000 times and never advancing your character past BiS uniques you just trade for, it won't work. Stealing SOME depth from PoE where your character matters outside of your same cookie cutter unique build could definitely give it more longevity, but if they want a figure-it-out-your-build style like PoE they'll alienate their fanbase entirely.

It in noway should be a complete copy of D2. Look at the remaster. Shit was dead in 3 weeks. It should definitely be more D2 influenced than PoE influenced, but PoE has had a huge player base for almost 10 years now so they're doing something right.

• 2Moron
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
PoE and Diablo are now the Yin and the Yang of each other. One has perhaps an overwhelming amount of depth and the other is a casual ARPG you can "compete" in with rift boards. The people thinking D4 should be a clone of D2 must know that it's a retarded model for current games. Unless Blizzard plans to crank out content (Yeah fucking right) to keep people playing, it's a dead game one or two months in. If they just want to do box sale and then launch an expac every year maybe that's fine, but the D2 style of killing the same boss 1000000 times and never advancing your character past BiS uniques you just trade for, it won't work. Stealing SOME depth from PoE where your character matters outside of your same cookie cutter unique build could definitely give it more longevity, but if they want a figure-it-out-your-build style like PoE they'll alienate their fanbase entirely.

It in noway should be a complete copy of D2. Look at the remaster. Shit was dead in 3 weeks. It should definitely be more D2 influenced than PoE influenced, but PoE has had a huge player base for almost 10 years now so they're doing something right.

Stick to being a failure streamer than a failure video game critic.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Huh? D2R is still going strong...

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So the Last Epoch guys are trying to force poe to fuck d2 while d3 jerks in a corner but so far the biggest problem they have is engineering and money. Also, the atmosphere is frankly not that scary. At all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There is definitely a market for a more casual and smooth as butter ARPG that is built around the item and build hunt. One without the excessive bloat and intimidating complexity of POE (as much as I personally love game complexity).

Blizzard 2021 sure as shit wont be the ones to make it a reality though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user