Did Everquest 1 - Project Monster (?) ever make it to alpha or beta? PC mobs

Goatface

think it was call Project Monster, a server where players would control the mobs. remember reading posts about it, but was thinking it was just internal testing

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
It made it to live servers briefly. Was very cool. People learned pretty quickly now to grief with it tho. I remember popping up as a kobold in the Warrens and going way far in, hitting another kobold, and starting a giant train that wiped out a couple Erud groups. There was a mob level limit that was pretty low- maybe 6 or so? So it's not like you could be a badass Lguk mob

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
It was live, but mostly because of faction issues it was too easy to grief noobs with. If they made the monster you possessed kos to all, it would of been a fun little thing to use.

Spawning as a lizardman shaman was great.

• 1Like

Hathe

Silver Knight of the Realm
I remember this. Unfortunately I missed the one day or so it was on live. My buddy said it was super surreal to be fighting in Everfrost and mobs would just start walking backwards. I believe this was '00 / '01.

Rime

<Donor>
It was an amazing amount of fun. Sad that they never made a server out of it or a special event in random zones once in a while.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
About what time did this happen? I wanna say I vaguely remember this. Sounds amazing.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
About what time did this happen? I wanna say I vaguely remember this. Sounds amazing.

It was one of the best ideas that never went anywhere. While the propensity for misuse was high they really should have brought it back for special events. With a few tweeks it could have really been something. Incorporated in to an expansion with a few high risk high reward zones in which players could run some of the monsters and there could have been some real cool emergent game play.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
If they ever wanted an idea that might bring in people that have never even played the game, that might be it. Badass idea, a shame it never happened.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It was great my pvp guild went to Karana and were able to all get in Freeport. We ran around like it was devils night griefing noobs.

Roger Wilco FTW

1581814504384.gif

• 1Worf

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I kept getting snakes in Butcherblock and Kick was an actual attack skill.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I remember back in classic there was what I thought to be a GM event where you could select a random monster during character select. And it was always random. No way to save the progress/levels you've earned. But there was some really strong monsters that people managed to level up. It was a fun experience. I was a green snake in West Commonlands and a Batling in GFay (I think). I got bored of it quickly, but it was fun for a bit, just to go and hunt down players by being a psudo badass NPC. I remember moving/circling a lot as the snake to attack newbs from the back over and over.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It was one of the best ideas that never went anywhere. While the propensity for misuse was high they really should have brought it back for special events. With a few tweeks it could have really been something. Incorporated in to an expansion with a few high risk high reward zones in which players could run some of the monsters and there could have been some real cool emergent game play.
There's a version of it apparently in Doom Eternal. You can have two players drop as demons on a doomslayer playing normally (if he's checked the box allowing it).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Masakari

Pattern Recognition Expert
<Gold Donor>
I remember this, I was wondering what happened to it lol. Jesus I would have paid a higher subscription premium just to be able to control mobs in places like Velketors or Kael Drakkel.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users