• Yes

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All the 80s movies with kids at camps for like 2-4 weeks — almost always a northeastern thing. Often an upstate New York thing. While I’m sure this obviously exists elsewhere this was mostly an upper class NE thing. Especially with wealthy Jewish people.
I live near so many of these fucking things. There's a Jewcamp down the road that has rich jewkids all summer. I taught a computer class there one summer, money was unreal for a <25 year old for like 2 hours of work a day.

That is the only time I ever got even remotely close to camping unless you count any kind of sleeping in the woods as camping.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Was in Wardens for years. Camping was dropped off out in the wilderness of Canada and told to survive with what you have in your pack + navigate to a road with no map. Was good times.

• 1Seriously?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
No camp as a kid other than the occasional boy scout outing. My personal idea of 'roughing it' is when the AC goes out at the house. As in fuck sleeping on the ground, in the heat, with bugs. Or snow, just no.

SeanDoe1z1

I did every summer.

Was pretty fun. We would line up and do a lot of shouting and marching, got to wear our own uniforms.

Funny salutes too

Good times. Anyway, I stand with Ukraine. ✌️

• 1Faggotry
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 1 users

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
1st and 2nd grade went to a summer camp for 2 weeks. Stayed in cabins, went fishing, played the board game talisman, set things on fire.

Did an archery course. Instructor was a big DnD nerd. So he would give you a target score to get with 5 arrows. Bullseye was 10 points then 5 pts 3 pts 1 pt.

First level was to kill a goblin wich had 5hp.

A gnoll had 10.

An orc had 15

Ogre was 20

Troll 30

Giant 40

Dragon 50.

If you failed to get the score for your target he would describe how the monster killed you. It was awesome.

When I was 12 years old I went to a 1 week camp in Maine.

I grew up in New England and it was a pretty normal thing to do before everyone who works with children turned into perverts.

• 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I did go once and actually that dude that has the country hip hop song about Applebee’s was my camp counselor. He was a nice dude and wrote dumb raps back then too.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I did no camps, but my kids all did. Found good ones, and they all still talk about the good times they had there. My twins found different camps to go to each time they went, which was good for developing their individuality. They still have aunts and uncles who can't tell them apart. The camps were great for socializing the kids. They did actually learn some things, and they got to do a lot of fishing. Usually 1 week camp at a time.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4-H camp after 4th grade, bunch of 10yr-olds got to shoot rifles every day. Seems like that might be problematic these days.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Went to camp once. My best friend and I were forced by our catholic moms to go to a camp run by the seventh day adventists. 2 weeks of fake meat products, and campfire songs. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I still have no idea how they thought that would be a fun experience. Worst part is it was basically in our town, so our buddies would ride their bikes around outside the prison camp like fence, and taunt us with beef jerky. Of course everyone in camp found out we weren't SDA, and we were pretty much ostracized by everyone else.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I did a localish budgety great-value space camp. All I remember was seeing a cray2 through a glass window and wishing we could play with it.

The main camping in this area (BF Oklahoma) was Falls Creek. A sort of christian indoctrination camp. Most of my friends went and enjoyed it but it sounded like torture to me.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am a child of the 80s, endless TV and movies filled with kids at camp. Yet I have never met a single person that has actually gone to a summer or computer camp etc. Starting to think it is like quick sand.
View attachment 458877

I went to Camp Cullen as a kid in houston. I think it's a YMCA camp now but it wasn't when I went there. And I stayed in the Kickapoo cabin where it was 85 degrees with 100% humidity at night. It fucking sucked. I mean, the camp was great. The sleeping not so much.

I think today though all the cabins are climate controlled.