Digital Camera Assistance

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
My wife and I are looking for a new camera. We don't want a big DSLR or anything too crazy. I was looking at the following ones: Sony RX M III, Panasonic LX100, Canon G7 X, or Fujifilm X100T.

Any thoughts on those or something similar that we don't know about?

Figured I would ask here for the expert opinions!

Thanks for the advice in advance!!!

mopoke

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was thinking of buying a Fujifilm but got an Olympus instead, a lot better camera for about the same price. Had it a few years now and still happy with it.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Do you know much about camera operation or are you more of a point and shoot user?

The X100T is quite expensive and is more suited for the advanced or enthusiast user. Excellent camera though.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
More of a point and shoot but my wife decided on one. Thanks everyone!

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I am not sure if this is the right place for this so mods please move to where it is appropriate.

I was wondering if I could get a suggestion for a wifi / wired surveillance camera that I can hook up to my computer and record video. This surveillance camera will be used to watch my car out in my apartments parking lot and will be housed inside (right next to my computer). My car is typically parked anywhere from 20 to 60 feet away from the window I will be installing this camera in and will need to be able to distinguish people and or license plates at night. There are lights in the lot but they are not the best.

As I said I can run a cat-5 cord to my computer if needed but as long as the quality is decent (doesn't need to be NCIS "enhance" good) wifi would work best. I am looking at spending around $50 - $100 and for now this would be a semi temporary solution (A couple of months until I move out and the cray cray doesn't know where I live).

My computer has plenty of storage space and I would only be referencing the video if something should happen to my car. Any help is appreciated.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
AFoscammight be able to handle what you are looking for.

I'm not 100% positive on being able to distinguish license plates/faces for the distances you are talking about, but I don't know if you'll have much luck at all with that for that budget. It should be clear enough to give you a pretty good idea who is up to no good if it is a recognizable person/car to you.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sorry for the bump to a super old thread... but wife has talked about wanting a nice camera for a while. After some self googling I'm leaning toward getting her a Nikon B700, but before I do thought I'd ask here if anyone had a recommendation. She/we aren't photographers or anything like it, but she has always said she like that "style" of camera and wanted a nice one eventually. We are due with twins this February and I thought it would be the perfect time to make the purchase and get her into a nice camera before that so we have it for them.

What drew me to think the B700 would be ideal is from what I read it's fairly point and shoot, but with the ability to self focus if you want to, records 4k video, has the "look" of a nice camera which as dumb as it is will be important to her, 20.2 megapixels (more is better right), and supposedly a decent digital stabilizer with 60x zoom.

As far as price point I'd like to stay under $500 ideally if anyone is recommending a different option.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm sure that will be a good camera. The thing you really buy a camera for vs. just using your smartphone these days is zoom. If you're taking pictures of anything outdoors that's more than 15 feet away then the phone cameras all suck and the more zoom you can get the better. I had several Canon superzoom point and shoots and they served me well until I bought a Sony mirrorless.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sorry for the bump to a super old thread... but wife has talked about wanting a nice camera for a while. After some self googling I'm leaning toward getting her a Nikon B700, but before I do thought I'd ask here if anyone had a recommendation. She/we aren't photographers or anything like it, but she has always said she like that "style" of camera and wanted a nice one eventually. We are due with twins this February and I thought it would be the perfect time to make the purchase and get her into a nice camera before that so we have it for them.

What drew me to think the B700 would be ideal is from what I read it's fairly point and shoot, but with the ability to self focus if you want to, records 4k video, has the "look" of a nice camera which as dumb as it is will be important to her, 20.2 megapixels (more is better right), and supposedly a decent digital stabilizer with 60x zoom.

As far as price point I'd like to stay under $500 ideally if anyone is recommending a different option.
imo get the sony a5100for the same price

the selling point of the nikon really is the 60x super zoom, you see all the tourists with it, and it's nice but think of it as like the jack of the very lowest of all trades, the sensor size on it, is like the tiniest sensor ever too at 6mm think of it as tiny sand dindu dick. whereas with the a5100 it's a HUGE 24mm sensor, pretty much african dick named Mutombo.

Of course you don't get the super zoom 6x, but you're buying it to take lots of pics of your kids... wtf you need a 60x zoom for?

for vacation? you're having twins... lol you ain't never going on vacation

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
imo get the sony a5100for the same price

It's not the same price because you're going to have to at least get the basic telephoto lens which kicks it up to $850 and it still won't' have as much zoom as the P&S plus you're going to have to deal with carrying multiple lenses around in a big ass case of some kind. There's no question if you're trying to be a serious photographer the mirrorless camera will increase your options, but for just taking pictures, the P&S will be easier to use, easier to carry, cost half as much, and take great pictures in 95% of situations. I think "WTF do you need a big sensor for?" is a much better question than WTF do you need a big zoom for?".

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean ideally it's a vacation camera too, twins or not a decent euro trip is on the horizon sometime in the next few years as well.

Also as dumb as it sounds knowing nothing about camera's my wife will without a doubt assume that the B700 is a better camera because it LOOKS like the kind she always said she wanted. And it's pretty much for her so anything that doesn't have that similar look would be a dealbreaker, no matter how bad the logic is.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I mean ideally it's a vacation camera too, twins or not a decent euro trip is on the horizon sometime in the next few years as well.

Also as dumb as it sounds knowing nothing about camera's my wife will without a doubt assume that the B700 is a better camera because it LOOKS like the kind she always said she wanted. And it's pretty much for her so anything that doesn't have that similar look would be a dealbreaker, no matter how bad the logic is.
goto bestbuy and pick one up, it actually feels pretty cheap, i don't want to sway you, but you should at least physically see it.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sorry for the bump to a super old thread... but wife has talked about wanting a nice camera for a while. After some self googling I'm leaning toward getting her a Nikon B700, but before I do thought I'd ask here if anyone had a recommendation.

No idea how it compares to the B700, but I'll toss in a vote for the Sony RX line mentioned in the op. Love mine and it's small enough to fit in a jeans pocket. I've had bigger cameras before, and I just end up not taking them with me. Liked it enough to get the woman one too. If you can find the older models in stock, you can maybe shave a couple hundred or more off the price.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I have an A6300 myself and I love it. All I'm saying is that our guy here isn't trying to take professional pictures, he's looking for something easy to use for his wife. That Nikon will take great pictures, I guarantee it, and it will be cheaper and easier to use than a mirrorless. It's just a fact that the bigger and more complicated your camera is, the less you will use it and I see people all the time packing around DSLRs and just using the kit lens and auto mode and think that they should be using a P&S because it would have cost less and they would probably take more and better pictures with it than they do with the DSLR.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is this the camera thread? Just wondering how this guy's video has such popping colors:

Is it the camera he's using, or is he adding a warmth filter of some kind in post (or camera settings)? What do people think?

7:09 is a good spot to see the colors. Also the lego store before that, or the bookshelves.