Doctor Sleep (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Just saw it and it exceeded expectations. I by far prefer the last act of this to the last act of the book. The book does as close to nothing with the Overlook (as it is rubble in the book) or its ghosts as possible while the movie actually tries to do some shit.

The opening music is the same as the opening from Kubrick's The Shining which instantly pissed me off. The actress playing Wendy was too much impersonating Shelly Duvall. There's also a few shot for shot bits where we're just Xeroxing from Kubrick. This was still its own thing though but I got worried in a couple spots. It also had way more King references (and good ones) than I was ever expecting to get. Death flies from Insomnia, "Ka is a wheel", and a couple others that all added rather than subtract.

The movie was already long but I would have liked more time in the prologue. Halloran's story about his evil grandpa is my favorite part of the book but we just fast forward through it in the movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
On PPV now. Damn this was really well done.

Loved Haunting of Hill House and this is just as well executed.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not a King fan or a shining fan (never stuck with me) but this wasn't a bad watch. The shining vampires were neat and I enjoyed how it was very quiet and slow paced but had some very visceral sudden moments.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Not a King fan or a shining fan (never stuck with me) but this wasn't a bad watch. The shining vampires were neat and I enjoyed how it was very quiet and slow paced but had some very visceral sudden moments.
obi wan was good here, and then he goes off and does birds of prey

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This was The Shining + Lost Boys + Stranger Things had a baby. Sounds like a weird mashup but it worked.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Finally saw it; I loved it! It wasn't a masterpiece like BR2049 but it was damn good coming from a non-book reader that was just a big fan of Kubrick's film. Props to the set designers on the Overlook; knocked it out of the f'ing park. Very very well acted by all involved too. It was just a success on all fronts imo.

I watched a couple of vids talking about the film afterward and no one mentioned how when Rosie first entered into Abra's mind and got caught in her trap anticipating her arrival, Rosie escaped it by taking a few steps back in the same manner Danny SET the trap for Jack in the snow at the Overlook hedge maze. I don't know what the relevance of this is but it's worth sharing. Interesting, no?

• 1Direct to DVD
  • 1Like

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I thought that this was alright but the Overlook stuff was pretty bad. The sets were amazing but they had the template to shoot them perfectly and they managed to mess up every single recreation scene with improper lighting and camera work. This is a much better movie but I kept drawing comparisons with Rob Zombie's work, who has attempted to ape Kubrick in a few movies so far, in that this director knew that there was something special in the original but really has no understanding of what it was or what made it special and it shone through in his recreation. This probably would have stood up a lot better in my mind if it had just done its own thing but in attempting to recreate the work of a director like Kubrick you either get it 100% right or every mistake is incredibly glaring and that kind of blew the final act for me. It's like tracing a Vermeer or listening to John Bonham beats played on a drum machine, all of the little important parts are missed in lieu of the perceived centerpiece and it ends up feeling sterile and manufactured.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I fell asleep 30 minutes from the end. I thought the book was bad. I think the movie is worse. Some of the story changes were shit, movie dragged on. The homage to Kubrics Shining was nice to see, but it made an already boring movie longer. I'm surprised to see the positive reviews here, this is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while, and I didn't go in expecting much.