Doctor Sleep - Stephen King (Sequel to 'The Shining')

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Is this on anyone's radar?

Loved 'The Shining' but that was so many years ago and I am curious if King still has it to reproduce the writing of the original in this sequel

From Wiki:

With Doctor Sleep, Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his previous novels, The Shining. The novel features the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the twelve-year-old girl, Abra Stone, that he must save from The True Knot. The True Knot is a group of almost immortal travelers who cross the country feeding on children with the gift of "the shining." Dan drifted for decades in an attempt to escape his father's legacy, but eventually settled in a New Hampshire town and works in a nursing home, where his remnant mental abilities provide comfort to the dying. With the aid of a cat that can foresee the future, Dan becomes "Doctor Sleep." After meeting Abra Stone, an epic war between good and evil ensues
Release date: 24th Sept 2013

Pinadil

Silver Knight of the Realm
"With the aid of a cat that can foresee the future," Oy from the Dark Tower was awesome, but I have zero hope for psychic cat.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Not sure what to make of this - I found a few of his more recent books unreadable (11.22.63 being the exception) Having said that, I know I'll be giving this a try...

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
"With the aid of a cat that can foresee the future," Oy from the Dark Tower was awesome, but I have zero hope for psychic cat.
Yeah, I was with him until the magical cat. Maybe he took people riffing on his magical retards to heart and he's branched out.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Started reading this yesterday and am already about half way through - hard to put down... Feels a bit like the King of old, which is good to see. There's a lot in there that I can relate back to some of his other books, plot and character wise, but all in all a great read so far. As for the cat, not a deal breaker (as yet)

Definitely a page turner though.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Finished this today and would thoroughly recommend it. Good, pacy plot and a fairly decent ending for a King - I found it hard to put down.

ringer_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_44615.jpg

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Lots of good parts, lots of unnecessary parts, and a supernatural antagonist that (despite being built up for the entire book) makes a bunch of dumb mistakes and fails because for King evil is ultimately stupid, childish, and self-destructive.

After quitting Under the Dome 2/3rds of the way through hating most of it this was a pleasant surprise. If I was less familiar with King's work and was not as able to identify his tropes and predict what was coming I may have liked it a great deal. It also doesn't help that my idea of the final confrontation was epic and glorious and the one we get is not either of those things. I sorta blame The Dresden Files for that.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
This book reminded me of the 'Good Old King' , pre sobriety. I believe a lot of the AA parts were not fiction. Unlike a lot of King books I thought it ended well and with an actual ending. Good read.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I really liked this one. The ending was so perfect. The story wasn't really horror so much, and the villains were pretty inept, but it was perfect closure to the shining and it was a pretty good read, I think.