Dogs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man's best friend... even if you're a man posting as a woman on the internet.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
This is Maeby. She's about to turn 7. I had a pretty freaky cancer scare with her just these past few weeks but everything came back benign. Thank god. Aside from some missing fur and a couple surgery scars she's pretty much back to normal.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Dio has developed some kind of big red lump on his back right haunch. Might be a cyst or something, but it's pretty gross looking. Doesn't seem to bother him other than itching now and again.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Worth it to have it looked at and tested because it could be a sign of other things.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
May have posted this on FOH at some point, but here's Spot at work:

fZKR3.jpg

fZKR3.jpg

fZKR3.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My dog Nero and some of his antics..

Him waking up..

GetAttachment1.jpg

Him letting me know he's up..

th_GetAttachment.jpg

Stealing from my dresser..

th_photo16.jpg

This last one he just gave me the I don't give a fuck look after I caught him on the sofa.. He normally jumps off before I can catch him.

th_GetAttachment2.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

th_GetAttachment.jpg

th_photo16.jpg

th_GetAttachment2.jpg

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
So we have a beagle. My wife got him about 3 years ago when he was a puppy. When I started coming around the dog would just bark at me while he was 20 to 30' away. I was in the stage where I was still wooing my future wife so of course I was trying to be nice to the dog. This went on for about 2 months where the dog would just bark at me 20 to 30' away every time I came over.

About 2 months after I'd met the dog my wife asked me to watch over him at her place while she went with her family to a wedding in South Dakota. I came over on Friday and the dog stayed in the kennel all day at the time while they were gone. I opened the kennel and tried to encourage the dog to come out but he wouldn't... I went ahead and slowly pulled him out of his kennel and he pissed all over the floor he was so scared of me. I took him outside and he went right into the 20 to 30' away from me barking. He never would come back in that night and he's too fast to catch him so he slept outside that night. The next day he barked again but I think he was more scared of being outside all day/night again so he came in.

The dog is semi ok around women. 1 or 2 new women at a time he can handle but if it's more he gets freaked out. Men are a whole other story though. When a guy comes over it's the same thing as it was with me, 20 to 30' away nonstop barking. The dog normally listens to my commands as I've spent a fair amount of time working with him (whippings for negative behavior, treats for listening and playing with him or petting him). When a guy comes over it's about all I can do to get the dog to listen to me to get in the kennel and that's usually the easiest command to get him to listen to.

Is there any way to train the dog to be less psychotic when a man comes over and possibly even be friendly? He hates every one of our male friends that comes over without exception. My father in law is a serious dog lover so my dog gets along very well with him but that's it. It just gets really old trying to figure out how to manage him freaking out when a guy comes over. I want people to feel more welcome in our house when they come by, not like they're hated by our dog.

I haven't tried holding him and making him let people pet him. When I've had to carry him within 10' by another man it's all I can do to hold the dog in my arms to get him to the kennel.

Faiona_sl

shitlord
I think some animals just sometimes can be very particular about what gender they like, one of my birds hates women and loves men. As for advice I probably wouldn't spank him when he's bad, just a very firm NO should suffice...since he's already afraid of you/men I don't think actually spanking him will help. In his mind men are already negative beings, so inflicting pain on him in my opinion will make it worse. I probably wouldn't try to force him at all into being petted or anything like that, probably just gently talking to him and giving him treats if he's near you.

Have you tried to take him to a dog trainer/behaviorist? Or taking him to the vet and possibly getting him some anxiety medicine? Those could also be possible options.

Charles_sl

shitlord
Hmm it sounds to me like the dog needs to be socialized more. Did your wife take him out for walks, to the park, to the dog run, etc. When she first got him? Honestly it sounds to me like she babied the dog too much when he was a puppy and now he feels insecure without her, whether that is actually the case I don't know of course, it's just a hunch.

To solve the problem I think that socializing him more and getting him out of his comfort zone will be the way to go. Make sure that you have a method that you use to distract him when he is doing something kooky, it can be a specific noise, a touch, anything like that but hopefully something that you used while you were working with him to listen to your commands. The goal is to try to make him feel secure all of the time, you and your wife are there with him and are taking care of everything, there's nothing for him to be afraid of or to be defensive over.

Basically I would start taking him out more, around other dogs and around other people. Make sure that you and your wife are in control of the situation and help him to feel secure and allow himself to just be a normal dog. I think that would help.

Edit: And agreed. Don't hit the dog or give him "whippings," whatever that entails. You just have to have mental control over the dog. My dog for example, he listens to everything I say and responds to hand movements as well, I can wave him to sit down, put my hand out and halt him to stay. Make sure that you have the dogs full attention when you are teaching him, he'll try his best to obey, dogs really love to please and be good.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Came across a pic of Spot as a baby helping me work on the tractor.

2799_1075121031719_1036992027_15582.jpg

Charles_sl

shitlord
Nice! I love dogs. I just posted this in the pet picture thread, might as well post it here too. He's a pretty relaxed dog, well most of the time lol:

rrr_img_742.jpg

rrr_img_742.jpg

rrr_img_742.jpg

Cathan

I do hate whipping the dog. When I first came around the dog and I didn't get along at all and it took over a year for me to start to actually like him at all. The wife and I fought over him more than anything else. She does baby him, wouldn't let me discipline him but I finally just started working with him. He's still a pain sometimes but my god he's soooo much better of a dog.

My wife tried taking him to the park when he was younger but that was an absolute disaster she said. He freaked out and did not interact well with the people or other animals. They gave up after a few times of that. The dog goes with the daughter to her dad's house every other weekend. They have another dog and 2 young kids. We used to take the dog with us to Sunday dinner's every other week at my father in law's with his 7 dogs but that ended with the last hurricane.

The dog does run well with me. He kinda sucks at walking cause he'll try to pull me around but when we jog together he's right there with me.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Sounds like your wife's lack of socializing the dog when it was young is the root of all this. It's a lot harder to get older dogs used to people :/ That's what you need to do, though. The dog needs socialization and it needs to be a regular thing. Not like a once-a-week thing, either.

spanner

This is something that probably will never be fully fixed, genetics play a big role in this, but active socialization at the right age during puppy hood can help overcome it. Right now I get random males to give the dog super high value treats, I am talking about cooked steak and chicken pieces here, not milk bones. Then dog will look at every male as a big treat dispenser which might be the best you get at this point. Idea is to overcome dogs shitty nerves with very positive things. Sometimes you just have to accept the dog isn't not going to be this idea this doggy social butterfly.

Never try to force a dog out its crate unless you have to, its considered a safe place for the dog and your doing more harm than good when trying get the dog to come around.

Anyone have any idea of what the issue here is?

Got a puppy 2 weeks ago, she's 11 weeks now. It's going good, she's a little fireball, but overall it's good. Crate training is going great, but listen to this shit. We bought her a dog bed, and she peed on it within the first day or two. So now, anything that we attempt to replace it with, old pillows, the dog bed that has been natures miracle'd and washed, and she pissed on it. Now she has zero accidents in her crate or on the towel in her crate, and housebreaking is going fairly well. But pillow or dog bed? Pissssssssss.

The last time it happened, she was chewing on a bully stick and just real into it, and was fidgeting around, and just peed.

I'm content to leave it alone for a while, but she spends most of her time in a tiled room because of housebreaking when we have to watch her and she can't get comfy to chew and stuff unless it's on a bed.

Should I buy some shitty dog beds and keep at it and just keep correcting the behavior?

Thx.