Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I wanna know who in the upper management green lit this abomination? I mean, seriously. The backlash is gonna be hilarious. Or are they really thinking that fans will just buy any crap

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You'd be wrong, though. The entire quest structure and objectives in Dragon Age is virtually identical to WOW. You can even play each individual character within your team similarly to how you play a character in WOW, but with the ability to pause between actions in a semi-turn based rpg style. More in common than differences.

Dragon Age 1 or 3? I usually dont count 3, as I read it had a shit ton of MMO style crap in it. After playing DA2 and reading about 3, I decided not to spend my time on it. I was trying to stay relevant to the thread and include a Dragon Age, and not fall back on Baldur's Gate 1/2, PS:T, Arcanuim, Fallout 1/2, etc. (the core WRPGs of the past).

In DA:O, when playing on the hardest difficulty, I was not able to play it like an MMO, for most of the game. I had to constantly stop combat, issues commands, and make sure the party AI wasn't derping around.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I usually dont count 3, as I read it had a shit ton of MMO style crap in it. After playing DA2 and reading about 3, I decided not to spend my time on it. I was trying to stay relevant to the thread and include a Dragon Age, and not fall back on Baldur's Gate 1/2, PS:T, Arcanuim, Fallout 1/2, etc. (the core WRPGs of the past).

In DA:O, when playing on the hardest difficulty, I was not able to play it like an MMO, for most of the game. I had to constantly stop combat, issues commands, and make sure the party AI wasn't derping around.
You fucking retarded? Thanks for making my point and contradicting yourself

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dragon Age 1 or 3? I usually dont count 3, as I read it had a shit ton of MMO style crap in it. After playing DA2 and reading about 3, I decided not to spend my time on it. I was trying to stay relevant to the thread and include a Dragon Age, and not fall back on Baldur's Gate 1/2, PS:T, Arcanuim, Fallout 1/2, etc. (the core WRPGs of the past).

Clearly you didn't use the OP Blood Mage or Arcane Knight lol.

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Inquisition had ALOT of the SJW shit with the faggy companions and the tranny side character but it was literally all avoidable and at the end of a 60 hour game unless you leaned into it was not much.

Mass effect went full retard. That’s why I’m worried here. If the dragon age team somehow can keep it similar to last time it would be fine, but seeing that tweet leaves me no hope.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
literally all avoidable

Who the fuck plays a Bioware game and doesn't bother talking to your companions and doing their sidequests? That's one of the hallmark features of the studio stretching all the way back to KOTOR, and the earliest elements of it were even present in NWN.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Who the fuck plays a Bioware game and doesn't bother talking to your companions and doing their sidequests? That's one of the hallmark features of the studio stretching all the way back to KOTOR, and the earliest elements of it were even present in NWN.
Me

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I dunno guys I enjoy a lot of games and this series to me was boring as fuck. Maybe if it was more exciting I would've done side stuff

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You fucking retarded? Thanks for making my point and contradicting yourself

Wat? He clearly said he didn't like DA:O and then D&D-like WRPGs in general. Which I took to mean, games more like DA:O, and you know, classic D&D RPGs. Dragon Age 2 and 3 are not D&D type strategy RPGs, they are action games, with some sprinkling of RPG elements. WoW is also not a D&D type WRPG.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I wanna know who in the upper management green lit this abomination? I mean, seriously. The backlash is gonna be hilarious. Or are they really thinking that fans will just buy any crap

Its the same strategy as activision & bethesda have employed recently.

You aren't a big gaming company unless you go full derp.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I dunno guys I enjoy a lot of games and this series to me was boring as fuck. Maybe if it was more exciting I would've done side stuff

I'm not trying to harp on you about it. Everyone has their own tastes. But, this is a fantasy story-based RPG series. That is its focus. The gameplay elements might be hyped up as being an action game (increasingly so with each game) but it's still mostly about the story. If you get bored by half of the appeal of a game: Why play at all?

I imagine something more along the lines of the Souls games would be what you really want.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Clearly you didn't use the OP Blood Mage or Arcane Knight lol.

Arcane Kniggit so powah.

The rest of your group was there just because they were the ones with the quests. Their main objective was: stay out of the way and try not to die.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not trying to harp on you about it. Everyone has their own tastes. But, this is a fantasy story-based RPG series. That is its focus. The gameplay elements might be hyped up as being an action game (increasingly so with each game) but it's still mostly about the story. If you get bored by half of the appeal of a game: Why play at all?

I imagine something more along the lines of the Souls games would be what you really want.
I'm a big jrpg fan but also I do like Western stuff. Most recently horizon zero Dawn, Witcher 3, etc. My favorite two rpgs of all time are phantasy star 2 and final fantasy IIIIII . My point is it isn't specifically the genre, which I try not to label games by. The game just wasn't fun. There were points I enjoyed for sure, but mostly I didn't like it.

So why did I finish it? Maybe it's OCD or maybe it's the fact that I spent money and wanted to at least get my moNeys worth. For the sale price I think the price was definitely right. If I spent $60 I would've been pissed.

On the other hand, I thought FFXV was the worst rpg I've ever played.

Soulsborne games are definitely my favorite modern series.

• 1Picard

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Wat? He clearly said he didn't like DA:O and then D&D-like WRPGs in general. Which I took to mean, games more like DA:O, and you know, classic D&D RPGs. Dragon Age 2 and 3 are not D&D type strategy RPGs, they are action games, with some sprinkling of RPG elements. WoW is also not a D&D type WRPG.
WoW definitely is...

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Fans have proven over and over and over that they will do exactly that.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm a big jrpg fan but also I do like Western stuff. Most recently horizon zero Dawn, Witcher 3, etc. My favorite two rpgs of all time are phantasy star 2 and final fantasy IIIIII . My point is it isn't specifically the genre, which I try not to label games by. The game just wasn't fun. There were points I enjoyed for sure, but mostly I didn't like it.

So why did I finish it? Maybe it's OCD or maybe it's the fact that I spent money and wanted to at least get my moNeys worth. For the sale price I think the price was definitely right. If I spent $60 I would've been pissed.

On the other hand, I thought FFXV was the worst rpg I've ever played.

Soulsborne games are definitely my favorite modern series.

The RPG genre is a really wide range of different types of games. Most of the games you're mentioning aren't really similar to eachother other than they have RPG elements. HZD is an action game with RPG stats. Witcher 3 is a strategic'ish action game with RPG stats and a heavy story focus on the journey of one man. FFVI is the closest to the DA series that you mentioned, and I'm sure you can see the differences.

The DA series is derivative from games like Baldurs Gate/Planescape/Neverwinter Nights, and those games were very slow paced RPG's with a focus on story (less so with NWN) They were never intended to be exciting, they were intended to be thoughtful and immersive. It's probably the leftovers from those that is killing your enjoyment with DA. Don't let the EA "jazz up all the things!" touch fool you. If you look at a game and get bored at the thought of delving into the background stories of a half dozen companions and learning about the lore of a world, then I'm not sure any amount of gameplay or fun is going to save you from a shitty experience.

Also, check out the two newer Assassin Creed games if you haven't. They're probably up your alley.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So if you remove the side stuff and just take the main quest does the game suck? To me it did