Dragon Age: Dreadwolf

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Good info / nostalgia on BG, NWN, DA:O, KOTOR, and Mass Effect. Channel well worth a sub. :cool:

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just got every achievement for DA:O done ✅ this week. Great game.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I didn't mind DA:I even though it had problems. The game was fun at least. DA:O was amazing though and even though the new game will probably be bioware shit I want to see where the story goes because the dreadwolf (no spoilers on who he is) was a super interesting character.

I'd like us to be gray wardens again too.

• 4Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Origins was one of the best fantasy games ever made, and only really suffers from its gameplay not aging very well as it's not quite as timeless as normal CRPG's, and is missing out on a lot of modern QOL aspects.

I don't have much faith in this one, but I enjoyed Inquisition despite its faults, so I'm not going to write this off yet.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Origins was one of the best fantasy games ever made, and only really suffers from its gameplay not aging very well as it's not quite as timeless as normal CRPG's, and is missing out on a lot of modern QOL aspects.

I don't have much faith in this one, but I enjoyed Inquisition despite its faults, so I'm not going to write this off yet.

Origins was absolutely amazing. DLC/Expansion too. Did all the 6 origin stories too (only finished all of it once though).

The contrast from Origins to Dragon Age 2 is one of the most jarring differences I can think of in gaming sequels in terms of gameplay and overall quality.

Hey, everyone loves this game! Let's make a sequel!
Great!
So, a new game. What do we keep and what do we change?
giphy.gif

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Caliane

weird. I'm surprised you all rate DA:O so high. it was good.. but not 10/10. 7/10, maybe pushing 8 imho.
it had plenty of flaws. Its just that it came out at time, when isometric RPGS were all but dead. If it gets any extra credit, its for that.
And the sequels were just worse and worse. I feel like you are giving it higher marks then it deserves just because the bar keeps dropping lower and lower, not because the game actually set a high standard itself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
DA2 was a hugely disappointing sequel to me. DA:I was much better.
DA:O was maybe top 10 all time RPG's. I am surprised to hear someone say they didn't love it.

• 2Like

Caliane

DA2 was a hugely disappointing sequel to me. DA:I was much better.
DA:O was maybe top 10 all time RPG's. I am surprised to hear someone say they didn't love it.
see like. top ten all time rpgs? like ALL of them?
From Mass effect, to Dragon Quest 6, 9, to Final Fantasy, to Secret of mana, to Skyrim, to Grimrock, to might and magic, to Planescape, to Baldur'sgate, to Ultima, etc..? Not even close to top 10.
Considering every open world rpg, every jprg, every western Rpg, isometric, action rpgs, roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, mmo? yeah no.
I probably could list 10 JPRGS alone I would put over DA:O. FF3,7,9, Tactics. DQ 1,3,6, 8, Chronotrigger, Secret of mana, Disgaea come to mind instantly.

If we cut out every jrpg, dungeon crawler, roguelike, etc ok getting closer. Leaving western rpgs, action rpgs, isometric rpgs, open world rpgs, etc. action rpg is obviously a super nebulous term itself... including things like Diablo and zelda to shadows of mordor, and Dragonage. we can cut out the stuff fairly dissimilar.

Bioware itself.. again DA:O gets some credit for bringing life to isometric rpgs... but, Jade empire was more memorable. Mass effect1 and 2, kotor were better games. so were Neverwinter nights, and BG 1/2.
so... DA:O.. is the 8th best Bioware game..

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
see like. top ten all time rpgs? like ALL of them?
From Mass effect, to Dragon Quest 6, 9, to Final Fantasy, to Secret of mana, to Skyrim, to Grimrock, to might and magic, to Planescape, to Baldur'sgate, to Ultima, etc..? Not even close to top 10.
Considering every open world rpg, every jprg, every western Rpg, isometric, action rpgs, roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, mmo? yeah no.
I probably could list 10 JPRGS alone I would put over DA:O. FF3,7,9, Tactics. DQ 1,3,6, 8, Chronotrigger, Secret of mana, Disgaea come to mind instantly.

If we cut out every jrpg, dungeon crawler, roguelike, etc ok getting closer. Leaving western rpgs, action rpgs, isometric rpgs, open world rpgs, etc. action rpg is obviously a super nebulous term itself... including things like Diablo and zelda to shadows of mordor, and Dragonage. we can cut out the stuff fairly dissimilar.

Bioware itself.. again DA:O gets some credit for bringing life to isometric rpgs... but, Jade empire was more memorable. Mass effect1 and 2, kotor were better games. so were Neverwinter nights, and BG 1/2.
so... DA:O.. is the 8th best Bioware game..
I don't love the crazian RPG's as much as you. None of those Dragon Quests, Secret of Mana's , or FF would probably be in my top 10. Definitely none of them are top 5 for me.

NWN was definitely not a better game in my opinion though I did love it. Same with Jade Empire.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I'm not a big JRPG guy, but I agree with Caliane, at least in principle. DA:O was just "good". It was the first time I was really kind of disappointed in a Bioware game. I thought DA:I was also "good", but suffered from serious bloat. They should have trimmed it down some.

The Dragon Age games just don't hold a candle to the Black Isle games, Troika games, early BioWare games, Witcher games, etc... I think the Bethesda and Obsidian games are better too. It makes me sad to say this, but i just ignore Bioware games now. They used to be a day 1 purchase and now I don't even consider them. i kind of feel the same way about Blizzard too. The landscape has changed.

Pretty interested in Outer Worlds and BG3 though.

*edit* NWN is one of my favorite games of all time, but the campaign was the worst part of it. It;s all the fan made modules that made it great, so I don't know if that's a good comparison.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
DA:O is probably top twenty. Top ten when it came out easily.

There have been just so many great RPGs to come out, and games like Witcher3, Ultima7, TES5 etc get a bit of a boost from being part of a strong, fleshed out and consistent franchise, where as DA:O is clouded by the failure of its following titles. It's hard to think about DA:O without being reminded of DA2 / DA:I.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Top 3 RPGs of all time would probably be ChronoTrigger, BG2 and DA:O.

DA2 sucked but I really don't understand the DA:I hate.

• 1Salty
  • 1Seriously?

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think DA:I was great and a top 15 rpg. Just not as good as origins.

Like others said, it had flaws but it did a lot right, and what it did right was great. I enjoyed the dragon fights and classes. Party members has been weak in all three games ImHO no where near a KOTOR.

The SJW shit was ancillary and so little I tunes it out. It was way tooo gay though.

I had near 100 percent completion and liked the DLCs a lot. So if they can repeat I’ll be happy with a good not great game to get 100 hours out of.

But like others said, I’m assuming it will be worse.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've brought it up before but I guess it bears repeating. DA:I was very popular, especially around here, right until Witcher 3 came out and blew it out of the water.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i started my wife off on DA2, i said the gameplay is great, the characters are "ok"

when she finished it, i said DA:O has amazing characters, but the gameplay sucks, so does the map.

she chugged through like a true goddess cuz she loved alistair and morrigan.

she played DA:I hoping Alistair would appear

she asked me about this new game, i said "it's just more gay shit", and shes like "is there Alistair at least"?

so? is there Alistair guys?

Cabales

Trakanon Raider
I enjoyed both DA:O and DA:I, I finished both of them which is rare too, but I could name a bunch of RPGs that I thought were better. I also expected a lot since it was BioWare and they had never released anything that disappointed me before. The SJW stuff doesn't bother me either. I just want a strong story, a semi-believable world, and good combat. In fact, I'll generally be pleased with 2 out of 3 of those things.

I think it fares even worse if we broaden our scope on what constitutes an RPG. Do the Deus Ex games count as RPGs? I think they should, and I think they were better. i guess it would make my list of top 15 isometric RPGs...probably.