Dragon quest builders 2

Caliane

ok, so this game is kindof super fun.

it came out last year on Switch/ps 4. And just recently on PC.
There is a HUGE demo on each platform you can play for free. 10-12hours of playtime. the first quarter of the game or so.
I played the demo, and did the unthinkable. I paid full price for the game, since I couldn't stop thinking how I wanted to play it again.

Visually its Dragonquest, meets Minecraft.
Gameplay is Kenshi meets minecraft.

Its a much more focused, quest driven Kenshi really. Where all the npcs are pregenerated, and have more personality, direction. minus the large open world, and just focused on smaller super contained islands. and focused entirely on the town building.

My search for the "perfect game".
Ever since FO 4, I have been looking for "the game". Something that takes the 1st/3rd person survival, resource collection of FO 4, and pretty much every survival game, and marries it to a proper basebuilding sim (ala rimworld/Oxygen not included). FO 4 of course came close. but is in the woefully lacking in the basebuilding sim elements. Pretty much all the survival games, are even worse in that regards. Like Conan where the settlers you gather are just items, and do not exist in the game world really. fo 4 may have been bare bones, but at least the settlers lived in your cities. worked shops, slept, used items, etc.. Kenshi is obviously one of the closest. But it too has many problems.

DQ Builders 2 here, does an amazing job of making the villagers feel alive. They use your buildings. harvest the crops, cook food, eat it, etc, use recreation items, sleep on their time schedules. monsters attack, and the villagers run out to protect the town.
this game is easy, and is not really much on the 1st/3rd person survival aspect, but the 3rd person action is still enjoyable.

use a controller. PC camera rotation seems fucked. maybe its possible to edit the init file..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Just wanted to drop a note that I'm playing this on ps4 right now. I played the first one and greatly enjoyed it; this one feels like a way better game mechanically with your NPC villagers helping build stuff for you at specific points in the game

Really enjoying it so far