Dragon Quest XI announced for PS4, 3DS, NX.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
What a fucking weird day. Square-Enix just announced that Dragon Quest XI is coming to the PS4, 3DS, and NX. The PS4 and 3DS games are different versions of the same game. Kind of weird, but they both look worth playing imo. Dragon Quest XI is also the first game announced for Nintendo's NX, which no one knows anything about at the moment (though it seems to be a console being that it'll run UE4).

Might post some vids or something when people upload them.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Never even heard of NX. I had to google it. Are they really coming out with a new console in 2016? WTF, Nintendo?

Will I be able to play the mobile version on the non-"New" 3DS XL I bought less than a year ago?

Szlia

I am a big fan of Dragon Quest, must I must say IX left me underwhelmed. Let's hope they do better this time!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I didn't play IX or X, but VIII is one of my all-time favorites. Were IX and X on handheld only?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
IX is Nintendo DS exclusive, and X is a mmorpg/Wii/Wii-U japan exclusive at the moment. I actually enjoyed IX as it sort of took from the Skill system of 8/6 (more 6 though) and was a more open ended game path. Right up until you try to do any extra game content, then you are falcon-knifing everything for great justice. 8 for the PS2 is the best in the series though in my opinion, and this coming back to consoles (and not stupid gimmick crap ones like the Wiis) makes me pretty happy.

Needless

Toe Sucker
IX was really, really good though. I loved the whole street pass random dungeon maps thing to it which i never really like about most 3DS games.

I really hope they actually decide on releasing this over here
frown.png

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
DQ8 was my RPG of the PS2 era, and only the sheer lunacy of Shadow Hearts: Covenant comes close.

DQ9 was way more disappointing than most reviewers claimed, filled with archaic design decisions. Not to the game as a whole, but the modern stuff they added. "You can only hold 10 quests at a time, but we'll give you endgame quests in the first main town eating up slots with no way to know better." "Go kill some salamanders in the random dungeons... except your level is too high, so the odds of the RNG spitting out a dungeon with salamanders in it is like 1/100, and the only way to get more dungeons is to waste your time doing trivially easy dungeons over and over." "You can make your entire party look like anything you want... which means that your characters have no personality, and no quest can reference anything about them (since the designers don't know anything ahead of time). So instead of a silent protagonist, you have a silent party, with the bad guy not introduced until 3/4ths through the game, and defeated by a ghost introduced 7/8ths into the game."

DQ10 I didn't play, because there are too many English-speaking MMOs to go through.

Obviously, I'm hoping this is more like 8. And yeah, the platforms are interesting. DQ has always gone to the platform with the most systems in Japan... but since this isn't going to phones, S/E just decided to send it to every system that'll be alive in Japan then. Sadly, the NX bit doesn't tell us anything about it, as circumstantial evidence suggests "it" is both a new handheld AND a new console system, with most/all games buyable (separately*) on both consoles.

*I can't wait for people to use Club Nintendo 2 points to get discounts for cross buys in about 5 years or so.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Never even heard of NX. I had to google it. Are they really coming out with a new console in 2016? WTF, Nintendo?

Will I be able to play the mobile version on the non-"New" 3DS XL I bought less than a year ago?
Doubtful it will be out in 2016, they haven't even finalized the chip manufacturer's yet. DQ11 isn't even confirmed for 2016 - they just are trying to get it finished in time for the 30th Anniversary (2016).

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Doubtful it will be out in 2016, they haven't even finalized the chip manufacturer's yet. DQ11 isn't even confirmed for 2016 - they just are trying to get it finished in time for the 30th Anniversary (2016).
I think the 3DS version will be out in 2016. The PS4 version looked very early.

As for the NX, I'm pretty sure it's coming out at the end of next year. At least the handheld version, anyway. Console NX will probably be 2017.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
DQ8 was my RPG of the PS2 era, and only the sheer lunacy of Shadow Hearts: Covenant comes close.

DQ9 was way more disappointing than most reviewers claimed, filled with archaic design decisions. Not to the game as a whole, but the modern stuff they added. "You can only hold 10 quests at a time, but we'll give you endgame quests in the first main town eating up slots with no way to know better." "Go kill some salamanders in the random dungeons... except your level is too high, so the odds of the RNG spitting out a dungeon with salamanders in it is like 1/100, and the only way to get more dungeons is to waste your time doing trivially easy dungeons over and over." "You can make your entire party look like anything you want... which means that your characters have no personality, and no quest can reference anything about them (since the designers don't know anything ahead of time). So instead of a silent protagonist, you have a silent party, with the bad guy not introduced until 3/4ths through the game, and defeated by a ghost introduced 7/8ths into the game."

DQ10 I didn't play, because there are too many English-speaking MMOs to go through.

Obviously, I'm hoping this is more like 8. And yeah, the platforms are interesting. DQ has always gone to the platform with the most systems in Japan... but since this isn't going to phones, S/E just decided to send it to every system that'll be alive in Japan then. Sadly, the NX bit doesn't tell us anything about it, as circumstantial evidence suggests "it" is both a new handheld AND a new console system, with most/all games buyable (separately*) on both consoles.

*I can't wait for people to use Club Nintendo 2 points to get discounts for cross buys in about 5 years or so.
Can't really argue with the silent group/protagonist angle for IX. It is a pretty standard setup with any "choose your own party" type setups, and not something that DQ games generally do. I enjoyed the game for the mechanics/storyline outside of that, and while the main character does have an actual story and isn't just random-class-guy_01, it is a little different with the characters being so malleable. VIII had a much stronger party/story dynamic, and it hearkened back to earlier titles like 2 and 3 quite a bit outside of the skill system.

X looked pretty interesting, but being japan only and having to go through VPNing and figuring out menus/etc makes it not something I want to burden myself with too much, as well as the fact that the gameplay didn't look world-changing enough to be worth the effort.

Will buy the 3ds game for sure, and probably the ps4 version as well.