Dream Theater - The Astonishing

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah, DT has never really been about the songwriting, but that's definitely the area where their songs have taken a hit. Now it's just making shit as complex as possible until it's time for JLB to sing at which point it goes full on Velveeta mode.

Neph_sl

shitlord
It took me a bunch of listens, but I've come around to really liking this album. It still suffers from missing standalone songs like SFAM, but I'm familiar enough with the melodies now that I'm picking up how they modulate over the course of each new listen.

Ex: the acoustic melody at the beginning of 'A Savior in the Square' is the same as 'Our New World', kinda showing how the dream becomes a reality.

Ex 2: 'Chosen' and 'Losing Faythe' have the same chorus. Where in the first, Gabriel is wondering why he's 'the chosen one' and in the second, Nefaryus asks him to save her bc he believes he is the chosen one.

I know there are plenty more examples, but like I said before, it kinda requires a lot of active listening, which is why I didn't want to give the album up. I'd argue that the technical craziness was toned down this album and that they upped their game in songwriting by emphasizing the evolution of all these different melodic ideas.

I still think the story is still kinda cheesy, but it's better than that song about turning soldiers into wine.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
They did not up their game with songwriting. Toning down technical prowess does not equal songwriting. The melodies are cheesy. Not much of the music is memorable. JLB still sucks.

Part of what I meant when I said they now make it as complex as possible is in the solos. Petrucci goes straight into Eddie Shredder mode in almost all of his solos. No build up. No tension. That used to be something I really enjoyed about his playing. Dude can obviously shred, but I always thought he composed some excellent solos. This album is lacking in that regard big time. Which is obviously a very important part of Dream Theater.

The solo in A New Beginning is pretty dope but I find the vast majority of this album forgettable. Bummer because I thought the last album was actually pretty decent.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I miss the effect Portnoy has on DT.
No. Portnoy is an overbearing cock. There's a reason he hasn't stuck with any band he's played with very long after leaving DT. He had a project in the works with John Sykes that could have been incredible, until Sykes walked out of pre-production saying "Fuck that guy" (literally.. I know the rehearsal studio manager where they were working shit out). I'm shocked he's managed a 2nd CD with Winery Dogs, since he and Sheehan are both gigantic ego assholes.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
DT is batting only .333 with the albums since Mangini joined. I would say Portnoy leaving has had a negative impact on the band.

Neph_sl

shitlord
DT is batting only .333 with the albums since Mangini joined. I would say Portnoy leaving has had a negative impact on the band.
Meh. Everyone has their own opinion. I've found each release better than the last since Portnoy left.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just getting around the listening to this album. So far I really like it. Very enjoyable listen and very good "background" music if you will. Even the much maligned singing from Alex's POV I feel works well with the musical styling. But I've been more of a fan than anti-fan of the new DT so my perspective is a bit biased.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I went to The Astonishing: Live at the Wiltern on May 7th..

TL
biggrin.png
R version - Fucking blew me away. Actually better than Scenes From a Memory: Live.. It was an incredible performance.

James has never sounded better live. These songs really pushed his voice, and he delivered in EVERY instance. Live it's much easier to keep track of who's 'voice' he's in as well.. much easier than listening to the album.

John Myung does some incredibly SICK shit on this stuff that I never really picked up on from the album. Dude is ever humble as well.. He and Mangini are so tight it's almost depressing. Metronome level...

Jordan Rudess' playing in this stuff is epic.. He doesn't overplay at all, and the slower, more piano based stuff lets him really shine in his technique and musicality. It's very clear to me this is his wheelhouse.

Petrucci is just plain straight up the best guitarist on the planet right now. Aside from his incredible technique, his chord creation, expressiveness in solos, and overall command on the instrument is sickening. He simultaneously makes me want to practice more and quit playing. Simply unreal.

Mangini is just a machine. Amazing player. More so.. when he's playing he really looks like he's having fun, all the while being a technical witch! His presence in the band has definitely lifted the band's spirits. The music is brighter, happier, and just more interesting to me.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This tour came close to where I live but not quite close enough. I would love to see the album done live I bet it was an experience.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This tour came close to where I live but not quite close enough. I would love to see the album done live I bet it was an experience.
I was in town for that show but I went to the Cincinnati FC game instead. In the pouring rain. To watch a tie.