Dredd 2 (2024 Confirmed!)

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
For those that have not seen it, a guy made a Judge Death costume...http://boingboing.net/2013/04/02/jud...h-costume.htmlandhttp://warrior1944.deviantart.com/gallery/

rrr_img_20773.jpg
rrr_img_20774.jpg
rrr_img_20775.jpg
rrr_img_20776.jpg

Golt_sl

shitlord
Bump, relevant to OP!http://www.totalfilm.com/news/karl-u...s-dredd-sequel

Karl Urban has been discussing the possibility of a sequel to Dredd, and says that despite the film's relatively poor box office showing, there could yet be scope for a follow-up.

Made on a budget of $45 million, the film grossed just $35.6 million worldwide, meaning that a sequel had initially looked unlikely. However, according to Urban, there may yet be demand for a second film...

"Interestingly enough, I did have breakfast with Alex Garland this morning," says Urban. "It's not off the agenda. Clearly everyone has woken up to the fact that an audience has found this movie and loves it.

"It's entirely possible, and if people want to see another instalment then they should be vocal about that, because it can happen. The power of fandom can resurrect projects. In fact, that's what happened with Star Trek. They weren't going to do a third season until fans did a letter writing campaign and they continued that series."

Fan of the first film? Expect a Kickstarter campaign asking you to put your money into a sequel, sooner rather than later...
Not so sure about kickstarter being enough to fund another one of these movies but.. at least they realize people did enjoy the movie. Now if only they had a marketing budget at all so everyone knew it was in theaters

PosterOfStuff_sl

shitlord
How the fuck did this only make 35 million worldwide.

It is not a masterpiece, but it was a better movie that any of the Transformers or one or two recent comic book movies (that all made heaps of cash).

Did it have a limited release in America ?

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bump, relevant to OP!http://www.totalfilm.com/news/karl-u...s-dredd-sequel

Not so sure about kickstarter being enough to fund another one of these movies but.. at least they realize people did enjoy the movie. Now if only they had a marketing budget at all so everyone knew it was in theaters
I am stoked. This is just one of those movies you can re-watch over and over.

I hope it happens and they do the 3-d the same way so the guys that missed the first one in the theater can see for themselves the slo mo at it's best. Honestly it was the only 3-D movie in recent years I have watched at the imax that didn't feel like a gimmick.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

It is not a masterpiece, but it was a better movie that any of the Transformers or one or two recent comic book movies (that all made heaps of cash).

Did it have a limited release in America ?
Really, really shitty marketing. And it was mostly directly competing with Looper, which I'm sure didn't help.

Szlia

Being badly distributed is a good start. A movie like Transformers is released on a huge number of screens and pushed by a lot of advertisement. Little to no advertisement budget goes hand in hand with very few screens. If the film is not a priority, it will also not get bundled in distribution deals. You know something is wrong when a film is not released in France! There must be something like 600 new movies released each year in Paris and Dredd was not one of them.

You have to understand that producers and distributors can make or break the success of a film solely based on what they estimate could be the success of the filmwhen compared to the other films in their portfolio. Films compete for a number of finite resources (ad space, ad budget, screens, movie goers) which result of some of them falling in the cracks of the system. There are some Cinderella stories of movies released on the one screen but that blew up through critics and word of mouth, getting more and more screens and having the distributor making after release advertisements push to feed the beast. That's super rare though.

For a movie like Dredd, it's more likely that the word of mouth happened later and that it generated some moderate success in disc media and streaming, encouraging producers to be more optimistic about the economic potential of a sequel.

Note that the movie being good or not has not a lot of impact in this process (it's more about hard numbers, focus groups and marketing people).

Also note that things are different in the more artistically oriented segments of the movie industry (especially when subsidies come into play, making commercial success third behind artistic and critical success).

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Would love to see a sequel. Dredd was a solid flick, good on return viewing as well. They really only scratched the surface for this version of that world too.

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Also it was a reboot of a campy Stallone movie based on an adult comic. It didn't exactly scream go see this.
I am fairly certain this is the equivalent to showing a picture of Gandalf quoting Harry Potter. Stallone movie BAH.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i've been looking for dredd to show up on netflix... which it hasn't yet.. anyways, i just was casually mentioning to my wife what i was looking for, and she yells out JUDGE DREDD!!! WITH STALLONE! YEAH LET'S WATCH IT!!

and i say... uh... no... the new one... THERE'S A NEW ONE WITH STALLONE?!!?! YEAH LET'S WATCH IT!!

... woman... no.

anways, my wife is in no way shape or form the correct demographic for this, but the movie was released last year and she had NO idea about it. whoever was in charge of marketing for this thing needs to get fired before the sequal comes out.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Finally saw it. Extremely well done movie, from start to finish. Director deserves a medal, marketing deserves a public flogging. Only saw the movie because of this forum and it still took me a while to overcome just how bad the trailer and previous movie were.

edit> actually, just watched the trailer. The full trailer isn't that bad, but the only thing I ever saw was some abbreviated version that had a bunch of one liners that reminded me of the first abomination. Or maybe that's all I remember. Regardless, marketing fucked this movie hard.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, i don't really remember the trailer being bad, per se... just... it wasn't anything special. i still haven't seen Dredd so i can't comment on whether or not i think it accurately portrays the full movie... but i very specifically remember seeing the trailer and going, "eh?" and this was after knowing that they were making it and that urban was pretty happy with it.