Driving simulator games general

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So, I just bought Snowrunner and noticed there wasn't a thread on it. I then looked for threads on other driving sim games I like, such as Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Farming Simulator 19. Nothing.

Figured I'd make a general thread on these games since there probably isn't enough interest for a single thread on any one of these games, but probably more for the genre as a whole. I figure in here we can chat about any and all sims that feature driving, be it racing, trucking, tractoring or whatever. We can also talk about peripherals such as steering wheels and the lot.

Anyway, I hadn't heard much about Snowrunner until I saw someone stream it the other day. Bought it on a whim and it's very good so far. Unlike Euro Truck/American Truck Sim, instead of just hauling shit from A to B, here you have to navigate very difficult terrain and make good use of different types of vehicles, vehicle upgrades, gears and the lot. You start by scouting out the maps, finding contracts and tasks, completing them for money and xp. You usually never drive faster than 10 mph. Love the off road vibe you get, and the graphics are very good. The only downside is I feel the steering wheels controls are a bit wonky, at least for my G29. The force feedback is a bit overactive. I need to find some good settings, but even the keyboard/mouse is decent for driving in this game.

Video time:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Farm sim 22 is out! People were laughing a few days ago because it has more players on steam than the new battlefield.

I loved 19, but this one is a hard win10 requirement as it uses DX12. Some people had gotten it working via various hacks. I got deep into that and started messing with gflags and completely trashed my windows install.

Many many many hours later I'm on Win10 and the game is good! Like the used gear sales. There's no guidance steering / gps available yet, at least on the in-game mod list.

They added a bunch of production lines like taking your grain to a bakery and turning it into baguette (french map woo) etc.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Watching streams of truck sims and stuff makes me want to get a setup and play these types of games, but I can't imagine that I actually would for long. They do look relaxing though

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
This where I talk about Lawn Mowing Simulator? It's riding mowers, but didn't see a riding simulator thread, so driving sim seems the next closest thing.

Finished my first contract. More fun than I anticipated. Gonna try with my racing wheel as there is something rewarding about cutting in a perfect circle and the controller just isn't precise enough.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Farming Sim and ETS are the ultimate chill games. My only pet peeve about this is you can't start of a new game with seasons turned off, you have to turn it off once the game starts and a process a new day. I hope they fix that soon.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm doing some lawn mowing of a sort in farmsim :D
20211206171840_1.jpg

• 2Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
SnowRunner is great. I got it for the Switch. Not sure thats recommended as crossplay is coming for every platform except Switch this week.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I played a bit of the predecessor, spintires. Was surprisingly fun but the developers at the time never did anything with it.

Never understood why they never marketed it or developed a version for the deer hunter crowd.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It was an embarrassingly long time before I realized the name of that game was 'spin tires'.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
40 thousand freakin dollars per row for these things (olives). And I wasn't really sure how far apart to put them, and there was no tool for lining them up
20211209094052_1.jpg

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Harvested in october. 5 rows so 200 grand to plant. Got 9474 liters or whatever L is. Looked like about half of a big trailer full.

6587 dollars. That might cover one month of interest payments? Actually leasing the harvester was 15 grand :emoji_laughing:

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 4 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
SnowRunner is great. I got it for the Switch. Not sure thats recommended as crossplay is coming for every platform except Switch this week.
It has been a month. I rebought SnowRunner on Steam and now have 175 hours.

I need an adult and sleep.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don’t get the appeal of these games. Is it marketed at stoners or something? Aren’t these pretty low barrier of entry jobs that you could go get paid to do in real life instead of playing a game?

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I don't get it either but apparently there's something Zen about hopping on your computer and simulating mowing your lawn, powerwashing your house, or driving a train.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I don’t get the appeal of these games. Is it marketed at stoners or something? Aren’t these pretty low barrier of entry jobs that you could go get paid to do in real life instead of playing a game?
Its a game that lets me play without stress.

Factorio/Minecraft is like homework in the form of a game.

• 2Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

Yeah, exactly. Instead of dicking around in lawn mower simulator for a few hours from the couch the logical thing is to quit your job and hire onto a landscaping crew? Or if you like playing a game driving delivery trucks in rural settings why not pursue that as a career!

Like playing Overcooked? What are you, a moron? Just go to culinary school already!

I like racing games as sims with a wheel and cockpit view... Please send any race car driver job postings my way! (Actually has happened, so I guess there is hope).

I get people not liking this specific genre of gaming, but your reasoning people could/should just go get jobs doing things in the games. Or that people shouldn't like games because they're jobs for other people. Seems pretty nonsensical.

Might have a better point for people who play games that mirror their own jobs. When I was in the Army a lot of friends played military shooters, including the Army's own game, which was a little wtf in my mind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I quit my job and started slaying dragons.

Wait a minute...*intensifies* Look at this guy talking on a phone with headphones on.
1641550614826.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, exactly. Instead of dicking around in lawn mower simulator for a few hours from the couch the logical thing is to quit your job and hire onto a landscaping crew? Or if you like playing a game driving delivery trucks in rural settings why not pursue that as a career!

Like playing Overcooked? What are you, a moron? Just go to culinary school already!

I like racing games as sims with a wheel and cockpit view... Please send any race car driver job postings my way! (Actually has happened, so I guess there is hope).

I get people not liking this specific genre of gaming, but your reasoning people could/should just go get jobs doing things in the games. Or that people shouldn't like games because they're jobs for other people. Seems pretty nonsensical.

Might have a better point for people who play games that mirror their own jobs. When I was in the Army a lot of friends played military shooters, including the Army's own game, which was a little wtf in my mind.
I guess I’ll reword it.

These games seem super boring as a concept, and I don’t get the appeal. To each their own though.