Dune (2020)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I never got around to reading this so I used one of my free credits from Audible (via amazon prime free 3 month trial) to get the audio book and it's been really great so far. I recommend it if anyone else is in the same situation and only saw the movie or mini-series or w/e.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
My experience, twice, has been to run out of steam somewhere in book 4...? About 18 months ago I bought 6 of them again, and read the first, but then switched over to a Kindle so they are gathering dust on my shelf (I immediately bought and reread the Malazan series on the Kindle so that took a little time). I am hoping a little age makes the Dune series more accessible to me...?

Anyway, what I am implying is that the first book makes for good movie, but I am not sure how the rest translates, purely based on my own lack of traction in the source material.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
God Emperor of Dune is possibly the best sci fi book of all time. Keep going, its worth it.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I read the first book, but I prefer the movie. David Lynch weirdness is just my cup of tea.

• 3Solidarity

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
This will end up being ‘okay’. Visually wonderful, well acted, but the writing will lack. Thy will fail to hit on critical story elements due to Social Sensitivity and completely change others because “they know how to write it better for screen”.

You Dune fans will be, at best, not overly disappointed but ultimately confused about whether or not you liked the film;

Exactly like me with Brad Pitt vs The Zombie Armageddon (World War Z)

Edit: I hope I am wrong and this film is amazing, I have just lost faith in big budget movie making and the process of adapting beloved materials for film.

Sterling

El Presidente
This will end up being ‘okay’. Visually wonderful, well acted, but the writing will lack. Thy will fail to hit on critical story elements due to Social Sensitivity and completely change others because “they know how to write it better for screen”.

You Dune fans will be, at best, not overly disappointed but ultimately confused about whether or not you liked the film;

Exactly like me with Brad Pitt vs The Zombie Armageddon (World War Z)

Edit: I hope I am wrong and this film is amazing, I have just lost faith in big budget movie making and the process of adapting beloved materials for film.
This is certainly possible. But I have some hope since we're talking about a director that got a studio to bankroll a 150 million dollar arthouse noir movie.

• 3Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have just lost faith in big budget movie making and the process of adapting beloved materials for film.

Lord of The Rings happened almost 20 years ago, your point is quite understandable since nowadays, Hollywood producers most of the time are on set rainmakers. That's why Scorsese went to Netflix, it's really hard to have a big budget movie made without "development executives" harnessing your creative decisions on a daily basis. It's an endless struggle and while you could cut corners for some modern flick, it's kinda hard being a director, filming Dune scenes knowing some of them are gonna get the producer axe at some point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Lord of The Rings happened almost 20 years ago, your point is quite understandable since nowadays, Hollywood producers most of the time are on set rainmakers. That's why Scorsese went to Netflix, it's really hard to have a big budget movie made without "development executives" harnessing your creative decisions on a daily basis. It's an endless struggle and while you could cut corners for some modern flick, it's kinda hard being a director, filming Dune scenes knowing some of them are gonna get the producer axe at some point.

I rewatched the whole trilogy last weekend and god damn what a masterpiece of film making. Shame we'll never see a movie series like that again.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Don't care for remaking Dune yet again but I'm less unsure although not unwary of Villeneuve after a string of good movies.

Dale Cooper is the only Paul Atreides.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Hmmm, against my better judgement, I'll check on this thread.

...Advisers include Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson...

tenor.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I mean they are just advisors.

This movie will most likely end up being a somewhat washed out version of blade runner 2049.

I expect stunningly brilliant visuals, a striking soundtrack, and solid acting.

Pacing will probably be fucked, as the original Dune story is grueling, and long as fuck. Its a magnificent work, truly original and very interesting. Also a story with a proper ending, where you feel like you didnt waste your time, given how profound the climax is. But it is a spiraling, sometimes drawn out narrative.

I wonder how Villanuavue (sp?) will handle the fremen shit, and the scenes in the desert. Heres hoping the chrys knife ends up being featured and is awesome.

He has so many ripe opportunities to turn shit in the book into awesome entities on screen. Like weirding modules, spice eyes, worms etc.

At the very least this will be worth one theatre visit.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users