Dune (2020)

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why would the pacing be shit? This first movie is supposed to be half of the first book.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Why would the pacing be shit? This first movie is supposed to be half of the first book.

Dune is a very long and complex book. Even if they are splitting it into two pacing is going to be a challenge. I still remember going to the david lynch version they had glossary hand outs for people going to see it. As much as I want this to be good the subject matter is not an easy one to pull off well. I think the david lynch version did a reasonable job with the story and had a great cast. Still this one seems to be getting a strong cast as well so we shall see.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dune is a very long and complex book. Even if they are splitting it into two pacing is going to be a challenge. I still remember going to the david lynch version they had glossary hand outs for people going to see it. As much as I want this to be good the subject matter is not an easy one to pull off well. I think the david lynch version did a reasonable job with the story and had a great cast. Still this one seems to be getting a strong cast as well so we shall see.

That doesn't sound like a problem of pacing. That sounds like a problem of exposition.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Either way its going to be tough to lay out a coherent story for the average viewer. For Dune fans I guess many formulas could work, but the director is going to have to either greatly condense the story, or focus on a certain aspect of the the first half of the book and give the viewer a peak into what is possibile in a sequel.

Also, weirding modules are awesome! No one knows what they really are, and the name itself causes most people to roll their eyes, but they have a place in my heart as they were the key to beating the Sega Cd version of the game.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Also, weirding modules are awesome! No one knows what they really are, and the name itself causes most people to roll their eyes, but they have a place in my heart as they were the key to beating the Sega Cd version of the game.
They won't be in this movie.

Siliconemelons

One thing that both "screen" versions suffered from - and my younger self this hit home also - was that it starts with a huge space scene, intergalactic travel, this sprawling huge galaxy - space ships, space! wooo!! excitement, then a /very/ fast zoom in to Paul - and it stays there as the primary focus and you never leave the planet. It is abrasive if you are not really aware or care or catch the subtle "x affects that big picture that was set at the start" then "now y affects it also" etc. etc.

Take the establishing shot from StarWars A New Hope - the first scene, BOOM- BIG SPACE, BIG BAD vs the little rebels, then boom we are on a planet and focused on Luke... but we never leave his smaller focus, we never leave the planet, we never get much of any character but luke. We just hear, or assume of his actions and the affect he has on the larger world that we were given at the start.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

They aren't in the novels, invented by Lynch for his movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how Villanuavue (sp?) will handle the fremen shit, and the scenes in the desert. Heres hoping the chrys knife ends up being featured and is awesome.

I kind of expect him to handle the Fremen by doing something akin to the Dothraki in GoT? Clearly present them as something "foreign" but try to make them appealing by being underdogs and just badasses in general. Which is a shame because it will wash out the story, and hinder some of the ecological "richness" but, maybe it's a necessary sacrifice to make sure it does better numbers?

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Only thing ruining my hype is fanfic son being involved. Josh Brolin? Never saw that coming, I loved Stewart in the role, I can see Brolin doing an awesome job as Halleck based on his history.

weirding modules
dune.jpg

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
In the sega cd game the weirding module was crucial in order to protect your assets against atomic attacks.

I forgot they werent in book.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The weirding way is from the novel, the weirding module is Lynch's brain on mushrooms and elephantiasis.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
When broken down simply like that, yeah it sounds like superspeed kung fu or something. In the book however it was more than that, although I admit I forget Herbert added a lot more to the Bene Gesserit lore in later books, so I tend to get it all mixed up.

I could have sworn I read years ago that was part of the reason why Lynch didn't go with the book. It seemed too much like kung fu type stuff, and the market was oversaturated with martial arts shit at the time.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked the modules (and I definitely played the games inspired by them) but yeah it wasn't the same way in the books. Which is fine; and I definitely disagree that it couldn't be done faithfully and in an interesting manner on the big screen. It'd effectively be mini-quicksilver action with either the movements being blurred/blink attacks, or the world slows down briefly in between the attacks, sort of like the pit fight match in the first Sherlock Holmes movie where RDJ is planning what is going to happen. Doesn't have to be kung-fu on the sand, and the visual tech has improved substantially since Lynch's dune.

That said, if they go with modules and sonic warfare? Uh, still definitely in. I thought that was cool as well, and when I saw it in the early 80s I had definitely not read the book at that point.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This seems pretty straight forward to me. Go Peter Jackson on this:

Film it as a trilogy all at once, release.

Siliconemelons

I need to watch the good one again, the one with boobs...

But sting is just so great in the other good one.

Cant wait for this good one to come out

• 1Like