Dune (2020)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I stopped after first book.

I just never felt the need to go further. The universe is interesting but the whole sand people thing kind of made me not care by the end.

I'm still a HUGE fan, I dont think you need to read all of the books to appreciate the universe.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I stopped after first book.

I just never felt the need to go further. The universe is interesting but the whole sand people thing kind of made me not care by the end.

I'm still a HUGE fan, I dont think you need to read all of the books to appreciate the universe.

Good on ya. I read the first one and loved it. Then I lived in a country with very few English books. One of the books my local store had was Dune Messiah, so I read it, and holy shit it was a hot garbage.

Read book one on repeat, and never think about any of the others.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1565295768947.jpg

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Option 3 is as far as i recommend, i actually really enjoyed Dune, Dune Messiah (which is barely a book) , and Children of Dune but God Empoeror not as much. I have read all of option 4 but heretics was meh and coudn't make it through Chapterhouse.

• 1Picard

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
God Emperor of Dune is in the running for the greatest sci fi book of all time, and Option 4 is the correct path.

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I did Option 3, and think God Emperor is really good. Shit got too weird for me after that, or I just lost interest.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Right. I have Option 4 (all 5 follow-ups to Dune, I am pleasantly surprised to say, not just 4 as previously noted) on my bookshelf. Ill be honest, I am not sure how far I made it in the past. Right now I am struggling to finish reading the major works of HP Lovecraft (it gets pretty fucking repetitive after a while if you read all his shit back-to-back, let me tell you) and I think I may dive into those 5 Dune books when that is done.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The series itself generally fades as the scope of the story expands. With the first book, its focus exclusively on Dune itself makes it a little more accessible to the masses. It gets freaky from there. I always run out of steam after a couple of books. I have tried several times. I have read Dune at least 5 times, and right now the next 4 books are gathering dust on my bookshelf, because at the exact time I shifted to a Kindle I finished my latest read of Dune. I may never read the entire series. I count it as a personal failure.

But, anyway, as a sci-fi universe, Dune is very intriguing and I welcome anything created therein.

Want to know how I know you're gay?

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Think I've read all from options 1-4 and about 4 or 5 books from option 5. Franks books were great of course, haven't really found as good sci-fi books since then except for Asimov and maybe few of the Horus Heresy ones. Brians books try so hard to be like his fathers and since they're all pretty much preludes, there's a lot of fitting in story elements so they won't retcon anything from the originals. Some of the stuff from Butlerian Jihad especially seem really weird and out of place for the books universe and I pretty much stopped reading Brians books after that one. Which was a shame because the concept of 'Butlerian Jihad' that Frank threw out there in the original Dune book already was really interesting and could've been a great book or a book-series.

Edit. I have no doubt they're going to either omit the whole concept of the Jihad in the movie or rename it Crusade or something.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
God Emperor of Dune is in the running for the greatest sci fi book of all time, and Option 4 is the correct path.

Can you really talk about correct paths with regards to Dune and not call it the Golden Path? SMH

• 1Worf

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I initially wrote that but they'd already called option 3 the golden path so I edited it back out.

I'm ashamed to confess I read most of the stuff by Brian Herbert too. I regret it. I kept hoping he'd d something cool with that amazing material. After three trilogies I realized he was never gonna do anything even moderately OK with it, and finally stopped.

But a wise man would have realized it and stopped before genetically engineered sandworms were fighting robots while gholas of every character in the series watched. [deliberately not using spoiler tags. I'm not spoiling it for anyone, I'm saving them]

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
i've got the books but just bought all the audiobooks for my daily trek into the city. So good.

Sterling

El Presidente
Options 3 or 4 are good, unfortunately I dipped into 5, but not totally and some of those other books are real, real bad.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Options 3 or 4 are good, unfortunately I dipped into 5, but not totally and some of those other books are real, real bad.

I love all the Herbert books. House Harkoneen was good for what it was but not a fan of anything besides Frank.

Long live the Bene Tleilax.

882200E0-EEEB-4823-B9AE-816DFA2B4588.jpeg