Dune (2020)

spronk

FPS noob
i guess the movie is only gonna cover the first half of the first book

which means if it bombs like Blade Runner 2049 then no second movie

I wonder if it ends when Paul and Jessica flee to the desert or a bit further in? Not sure where a good stop would be

I need to rewatch the two TV mini series, as I recall they were both pretty good

Ladro

Anomaly
Hrm, half the book? That's basically when they meet the Fremen after the coup if memory serves... That not even to the good parts.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah....I love the books but I'm not sure how you could really translate what (I feel at least) makes the books good to a movie(s). In my mind, if you're breaking the first book up into two movies, you're basically doing a faithful adaptation of the book into movies. I don't see how that makes what the modern movie industry would consider a blockbuster.

But granted, I enjoy the original movie and the Scifi mini series.....so bad taste I guess?

I'll go watch it no matter what but I'm skeptical for sure.

Juvarisx

Florida
Denis Villeneuve apparently has carte blanche for this one like he did for Blade Runner, so I think they will atleast get two movies out of it to cover the book. I'm just hoping Dekins does this one too.

Keep in mind that while BR2049 didnt do so hot in the boxoffice, it bought him A LOT of clout to do whatever he wanted next. I guess the industry really loved it, and Oscar nominations and wins really sweep money issues under the rug

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Splitting Dune in half is a challenge. You could do it after the coup, but then part 2 would feel like a different tone. I'd try the split sometime around when Jessica takes the Water of Life because of the few year time jump.

Still wish they were doing an HBO series instead.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

I agree it is a hard split down the middle - as you are going to get a lot of politics and background - that traditionally was a "long setup" in the first 2 adaptations that lead you into a good "hero in the wilderness" part of the journey - the series settled on this part/time for longer than the orig movie did (not a bad thing, and boobies so, A+) - then the heroes return home etc. wraps it up - but that is where the "action" is - that is were the "I have been through ALL this shit...and finally! okay"

so, not having that for a long chunk could be bad. I am sure then the naming convention of the new movie will say Part I or something so people /know/ that it is not "done"

Ladro

Anomaly
The only way i see that working is if you rework the story to be more of a flashback type or multi timeline presentation. Problem with that is you lose a lot of the good set up pieces impact for the later portion of the book.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I reallydont understand the general opinion on blade runner 2049. Did everyone expect blade runners of the galaxy? The pacing, atmosphere, acting was top notch for me.

I have absolute trust in Villeneuve for Dune.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Every single one of you knows deep down this will suck, correct?

• 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think a modern Dune movie could do the legacy justice; a premium stream series (as some others have already said) would be infinitely better. Maybe, if the movie does really well it'll spark some interest in a series.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I reallydont understand the general opinion on blade runner 2049. Did everyone expect blade runners of the galaxy? The pacing, atmosphere, acting was top notch for me.

I have absolute trust in Villeneuve for Dune.

I believe most people who actually saw Blade Runner, loved it?

And yeah, Villeneuve is as close to a best case scenario as possible. He might not pull it off. Him trying is a better alternative than having no attempt at Dune at all. No fun in that shit. BR2049, Arrival, Sicario, Prisoners? All great movies. Might as well take a shot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
If they are splitting the first novel into two separate movies then I take that as a good sign that they are taking the material seriously. There's no way you can honestly fit the first book into one movie and have it turn out worth a shit unless its like 3 1/2 to 4 hours long.

Honestly, my preferred scenario would have been for HBO to take on Dune as a series replacement for Game of Thrones. All of Herbert's novels, at least through Children of Dune, would have been an incredible series if done with the production values of HBO (versus the sci-fi channel series which tried but was too cheap and came across as third rate/cheesy).

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Honestly, my preferred scenario would have been for HBO to take on Dune as a series replacement for Game of Thrones. All of Herbert's novels, at least through Children of Dune, would have been an incredible series if done with the production values of HBO (versus the sci-fi channel series which tried but was too cheap and came across as third rate/cheesy).

If someone could pull off God Emperor of Dune I would lose my shit.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hrm, half the book? That's basically when they meet the Fremen after the coup if memory serves... That not even to the good parts.

Better than no movie at all, and prior suggestions here were to serialize the story-telling.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Denis Villeneuve apparently has carte blanche for this one like he did for Blade Runner, so I think they will atleast get two movies out of it to cover the book. I'm just hoping Dekins does this one too.

Keep in mind that while BR2049 didnt do so hot in the boxoffice, it bought him A LOT of clout to do whatever he wanted next. I guess the industry really loved it, and Oscar nominations and wins really sweep money issues under the rug

Hardly. The sting of the Oscar exclusion was felt and had everything to do with money issues.

“It’s very uncommon for a movie that didn’t do well at the box office in the United States to get a nomination for Best Picture,” Villeneuve told CBC News shortly after the nominations for the 90th Academy Awards were announced January 23.

Denis Villeneuve Says Bad Box Office Is the Reason ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Was Shut Out of Best Picture Oscar Race

The music was equally snubbed for similar reasons.

“I must say I was disappointed,” Villeneuve said about the score snub. “I think what [composers Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch] did for the movie, the score of the movie, was by far one of the best this year.”

• 2Like