Dune (2020)

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Of course this will suck. It has nothing to do with the choice to cut it into two movies, or the choice of director, or anything like that. It will suck because
a) Fremen are directly modeled from Arab Muslims, and they conduct a Jihad (thats even called a Jihad) against the galaxy, killing billions. You cant show that in either a positive or negative light in 2018 America.
b) Starting the series without making it to God Emperor of Dune (the best sci fi book of all time and the point of the series) is utterly pointless. Its like making a movie of the Fellowship of the Ring but not bothering with the Two Towers or Return of the King. Pointless.

That said, unless they cast Oprah Winfrey as Paul and Idris Elba as Chani I'll be there opening night.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Siliconemelons

No film version has gotten that far to the jihad - nor will it anytime soon.

The first Dune can be fairly self contained - it is a fairly well done typical heroes journey in the sand with a backdrop of yuuuugee space proportions - you do not really get the "scope" of it the movies.

Children of Dune is somewhat the same - it can be contained decently but it was specifically there to set up a lot of things so it is not as a tidy package as "dune" is

faille

Molten Core Raider
Of course this will suck. It has nothing to do with the choice to cut it into two movies, or the choice of director, or anything like that. It will suck because
a) Fremen are directly modeled from Arab Muslims, and they conduct a Jihad (thats even called a Jihad) against the galaxy, killing billions. You cant show that in either a positive or negative light in 2018 America.
b) Starting the series without making it to God Emperor of Dune (the best sci fi book of all time and the point of the series) is utterly pointless. Its like making a movie of the Fellowship of the Ring but not bothering with the Two Towers or Return of the King. Pointless.

That said, unless they cast Oprah Winfrey as Paul and Idris Elba as Chani I'll be there opening night.

Idris Elba is awesome in any role!

• 2Barf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You could have said that a few years ago. After that abomination that was The Gunslinger, you dont get to say that anymore.

Casting matters. Elba's a good actor, but no amount of acting skills can save a movie from stupid casting decisions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kind of off topic but do any of the books cover the unfolding of the Jihad itself? Like does it follow Paul has his legions conquer the worlds of the galaxy?

Reading through this thread, I thought of how cool it would be if there was a book that followed a unit of Fedaykin death commandos that must conquer some fortress on a frozen tundra world covered in mountains. Kind of like a mix of unit tactics, psuedo-mystical hero worship and accurate environmental science. Kind of like the original Dune but you throw these hardcore desert fighters into a land that is completely alien to them, and they have to learn how to deal with it while destroying the enemy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
The Jihad happens between the first book and the second book, which takes place 12 years after the first book, his Jihad army has raged across the known universe and killed 60+ billion heretics in that period. The second book is very localized though around Paul, him trying to run a shitty empire, the plots around him, his wife/kids, etc.

His son's 12th (lol) dune book, Paul of Dune is set in between the first and second Frank Herbert books and details some of the jihad actions as does the sequel Winds of Dune. As people have said though, the sons books are pretty shitty and I doubt these two are any good. They are like the new Star Wars movies in that they constantly try to explain shit from the original books but none of it really needed any explanation.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

ahh okay, I thought it was after Children and during his time as the all knowing (all pooping) Paul worm!

edit: I have NOT read 100% of the og or expanded or expanded expanded books... just my general passing dune knowings.

Goatface

this guy channel is mostly Story of Ice and Fire/Got, but he has been doing some Dune cliffnote like vids
Dune Playlist
few 1 hour vids covering the og books and bunch of shorter ones talking about certain people, things and ideas
normally points out any info that comes from the expanded books

• 2Like

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The best thing about Dune is actually reading it. The best thing about Song of Ice and Fire is the shockers.

Go read the book, don't watch some Youtuber.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm cool, I wonder who's produci...

fuuuuuuuuuuck

It seems Villeneuve is working very hard doing "his own Dune" and doesn't want to have lots of folks involved in its filmmaking ; while Ridley Scott was executive producer during Blade Runner 2049 it's known he wasn't really involved at all (aka nobody asked for his opinion) and later trashed the film as being "too long" (which shows he didn't have a say at all about the film).

I really don't know how much freedom Villeneuve will have with Dune since 2049 didn't meet box office expectations though. I'm optimistic because I like both Dune and Villeneuve and I just hope his film doesn't get hard tunneled into some shitty action flick.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I really don't know how much freedom Villeneuve will have with Dune since 2049 didn't meet box office expectations though. I'm optimistic because I like both Dune and Villeneuve and I just hope his film doesn't get hard tunneled into some shitty action flick.

I think Villeneuve has shown enough for me to be confident. I think at worst this should still be a "good" movie, even if he gets forced to do some "additional" action. Still so incredibly excited for this.