Dune (2020)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Juvarisx

Florida
3.58 star(s) Rating: 3.58/5 19 Votes
Title: Dune

Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Release: 2019-12-31

Plot: The son of a noble family tries to avenge his father's death while saving a spice-rich planet that he is entrusted to protect.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Dune-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B4%D1%84%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B8-Dune-2-1714911.jpe

• 14Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 15 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
There's no way they can do this in movie format and do it any justice. That and the fact that Brian Herbert is involved, who's the same guy producing terrible schlock Dune prequel books for the last fifteen years, is not encouraging.

The 1984 movie was a travesty (fucking Voice amplifiers that shoot people!? GTFO). The 2000 scifi mini-series was better plot wise, but low budget. The right way to do it would be series television, but the budgets would easily spiral out of sight quickly. Not to mention Dune is so ripped off by other stories that it would be difficult for it to stand alone at this point in time, since those other ripoffs have been around for so much longer.

I'm a huge fan of the first Dune book and it's probably one of the best scifi novels ever, if not #1. The 3rd book was good but not great, 4th book was almost too weird to follow, and the 5th book was only passable due to Miles Teg.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The Dune series is amazing but just way too nerdy to get the proper big screen treatment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
There's no way they can do this in movie format and do it any justice. That and the fact that Brian Herbert is involved, who's the same guy producing terrible schlock Dune prequel books for the last fifteen years, is not encouraging.

The 1984 movie was a travesty (fucking Voice amplifiers that shoot people!? GTFO). The 2000 scifi mini-series was better plot wise, but low budget. The right way to do it would be series television, but the budgets would easily spiral out of sight quickly. Not to mention Dune is so ripped off by other stories that it would be difficult for it to stand alone at this point in time, since those other ripoffs have been around for so much longer.

I'm a huge fan of the first Dune book and it's probably one of the best scifi novels ever, if not #1. The 3rd book was good but not great, 4th book was almost too weird to follow, and the 5th book was only passable due to Miles Teg.
I have a soft spot for Lynch's Dune. Would love to see a good, faithful adaption. It's not impossible to tell the story in two hours. Doubt this will be the case. The first book's undoubtedly a classic.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I just watched this for the first time in a decade or two last week. Will be hard to match the original imo. Mostly due to it was made back when actors acted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Kyle MacLachlan, Brad Dourif, Everett McGill and Max von Sydow were great. Alicia Witt, Patrick Stewart, Jack Nance and so on.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The movie was a travesty, even though there were some good actors and acting in it. They absolutely butchered the novel (have no idea why). I agree with what others have said, the best way to do Dune would be a series like Game of Thrones (that kind of big budget). Doubt that will ever happen, but it's nice to dream.

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My life is complete now that I know there is going to be a third half-assed Dune movie.

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Lynch's Dune is like microwave cake, it's technically cake, but holy shit that's not cake.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I agree with what others have said, the best way to do Dune would be a series like Game of Thrones (that kind of big budget). Doubt that will ever happen, but it's nice to dream.

Legendary has both the movie and television rights to it so they may opt to do a bit of both by using a TV series to explore and set up the world that the movies end up playing around in.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Legendary has both the movie and television rights to it so they may opt to do a bit of both by using a TV series to explore and set up the world that the movies end up playing around in.
TV would be better for Dune. If you set the pacing right, you could hook the mainstream populous like GoT and WW. It's crazy to listen to people gush about Thrones who probably have never watched or read anything fantasy-related in their lives.

If they turn it into a Hunger Games/Maze Runner young adult type movie with part one and part two for one book I'm going to be really bummed.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Yeah, it'll depend on how much of a budget they're willing to give for a TV series. If they want to spend the dinero like HBO does, it could be awesome. If they spend the money like the SyFy channel does, it would be horrible.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
The movie was a travesty, even though there were some good actors and acting in it. They absolutely butchered the novel (have no idea why). I agree with what others have said, the best way to do Dune would be a series like Game of Thrones (that kind of big budget). Doubt that will ever happen, but it's nice to dream.
David Lynch buttfucked that novel to death. It's probably a shitty catastrophe of a movie but I don't care. Dune holds up and Lynch even got Sting to act, horribly, which is unbelievable.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database