Dune (2020)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
is this movie still 2019? I don't see how it could be if they are still casting and stuff

Everything I've seen has it tagged as "2020".

As far as the casting choice... Villeneuve usually is spot on, I am hoping he sees something with her he can adjust.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are we going to get another tantrum about a non white actor getting a fremen role?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
Are we going to get another tantrum about a non white actor getting a fremen role?
Feels like people are using the race thing with the girl but I think really it's just people didn't like that she was playing some trope in a comic book movie that wasn't very fleshed out or particularly interesting. Not sure that's really on her and I think in general the casting for this has been good so we'll see.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As far as the casting choice... Villeneuve usually is spot on, I am hoping he sees something with her he can adjust.

Villeneuve is known to be quite involved in actors casting / direction on a daily basis during both filming and production. He likes to talk with cast before scenes and getting along with them. A lot of Hollywood movies nowadays, director is like Jesus and you have to get through his twelve apostles (assistants, writers, development execs, producers, etc) to just make him notice your existence.

Also from an actor's PoV, Villeneuve's Dune is the hot shit right now, the guy has near pristine filmography and while 2049 hasn't made enough money he's seen as a definite career springboard. There's no reason he couldn't get most of the actors he wants. And about the "black female getting a fremen role", as long as the movie hasn't a minority inclusion agenda, I really don't care about the actors color as long as they act their character, not their race.

lul.png

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zendaya is the only odd choice in my opinion, line her up with the rest of Fremen we'll see and she could stand out. I don't think this is a horrible choice, just odd. Bardem will probably steal every scene he is in, excellent choice. The choice for Paul's mother is another excellent pick by Villeneuve, about as close as you could get to the previous Lady Jessica as you could want, while still be different.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
... and there it fucking is.

In 2019 America, the only acceptable love interest for a white man is a black woman. every. fucking. time. It barely happens in real life; it doesnt follow the story; its jarring and fucking stupid. Its like "we're remaking Cleopatra but this time we're having Samuel L Jackson play Cleopatra and youre a racist asshole if you object"

I let you motherfuckers have Heimdall, cause at the end of the day who cares about Asgard's doorman. But Chani? Theyre making Chani black now? No. Chani was hot, and was described in detail.

When a movie inserts forced diversity it might still be good. When a movie inserts a white male, black female relationship it means theyve swallowed so much SJW koolaid the whole thing is doomed.

Lifelong Dune fan - greatest sci fi series of all times.

Hard pass.
Its more like replace white male character with a white female character and have her love interest be a black man. All the time. Thankfully that didn't happen here.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Chani has 'elfin' features... what kind of black woman looks anything like an elf?

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

nu_11

So what your saying is that all you need to do to look like an elf is to look anorexic?

• 1EyeRoll

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Hope there is another scene with Paul and Stilgar riding the worm to a boner popping guitar rift

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Whats the draw with Oscar Isaac?

Ok in Drive
Good in Ex Machina
Shit in Xmen
Bad in Star Wars
Forgettable in Annihilation

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

nu_11

He was good in Llewyn Davis. Doesn't he sing in real life?

I think he's popular with women too. Which is why I thought he was a good fit to play Duncan Idaho.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Whats the draw with Oscar Isaac?

Ok in Drive
Good in Ex Machina
Shit in Xmen
Bad in Star Wars
Forgettable in Annihilation

his real name is Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada, he's half guatamalan and half cuban. hiring him automatically deflects any production from accusations of white washing

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
He's a palatable handsome ethnic decent actor. He checks all the current criteria boxes to be in demand.

• 2Like