Dragonlance Series

Sterling

El Presidente
Dragonlance is bad if you're not 11 years old. This thread is about a good story!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
He's not wrong. I tried to read Autumn Twilight a few years back and it was painful how simplistic it was. As a teen, I thought it was amazing, but now I see it as it was: A simple retelling of a D&D campaign. The characters are still great though.

This is coming from a guy that owned every single DL book written before the fifth age stuff.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dragonlance is also a shit setting to run a DnD campaign in. "Oh you like fun? None of that shit here!"

This movie is going to rock!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I got them all in hardcover. I might crack it again just to see what you guys are talking about. I wanted a true ending to the Raistlin storyline. I even bought other tangentially related books he had appearances in from timelines further into the future. Some a matter of months, and one was a matter of decades later in the timeline. A few of those cameo appearances really stick out in my mind more than Autumn Twilight. or anything from the trilogy.

Although it seems everybody here including myself was a child reading Dragonlance. So I won't take much convincing.

Siliconemelons

Nothing wrong with simple stories - they have their place and their audience. Good story, nice world - compelling characters... Even if its just something that gets people into a genera- that's good.

• 1Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
He's not wrong. I tried to read Autumn Twilight a few years back and it was painful how simplistic it was. As a teen, I thought it was amazing, but now I see it as it was: A simple retelling of a D&D campaign. The characters are still great though.

This is coming from a guy that owned every single DL book written before the fifth age stuff.
I will never mock dragon lance. Those books opened up a lot of people to reading books they otherwise would never have started to read which lead them to more and better books over time. Getting people into the habit of reading for enjoyment is a major hurdle.

• 18Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 19 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I probably read Legand of Huma 50 times as a kid, loved that book and can't wait to give it to my kid when he learns to read good.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 6 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't want it to seem like I'm insulting the books. They are great for what they are, and influenced who I am as a person in various ways, but they are simplistic and don't hold up as well as an adult once you've been exposed to better crafted works.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I feel like if I'd read them when I was 13 I'd feel a lot different than I did picking it up at 35. I like it fine, still plan to read past the first one, but it's not on my priority list.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I probably read Legand of Huma 50 times as a kid, loved that book and can't wait to give it to my kid when he learns to read good.
The Kagonesti (wood elves) and all of the books with Khellendros(sp?) The blue dragon really stand out to me. I never really latched on to the main heroes.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
loved the dragonlance books.

met hickman and weis at a gencon in the 85 when they had just finished writing/publishing the first trilogy, i was -as far as they knew- the first person to buy and read the last book of the trilogy-dragons of spring dawning-public sale that is. they had a few thousand of the books at gencon for sale. release date was like a week or two after gencon

liked the first dune books will see this if it is good.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Dragonlance books are what got me into fantasy and rpgs.
I was also very into Count Strahd von Zarovich and the Ravenloft novels.
Some good memories there.

Also where is the trailer....tired of holding in both excitement and fecal matter. Gotta have both ready to go in this day and age.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Dragonlance books are what got me into fantasy and rpgs.
I was also very into Count Strahd von Zarovich and the Ravenloft novels.
Some good memories there.

Also where is the trailer....tired of holding in both excitement and fecal matter. Gotta have both ready to go in this day and age.

In case you didn't know: they sent Lord Soth into Ravenloft for at least one book and it is pretty good.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
loved the dragonlance books.

met hickman and weis at a gencon in the 85 when they had just finished writing/publishing the first trilogy

Very envious. Loved the hell out of Dragonlance, the novels and the inspired adventures for AD&D.

Not sure if any of you have read the Death Gate Cycle by them but I can't recommend it enough.

• 1Solidarity

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the Death Gate cycle is head and shoulders above the Dragonlance books. Haplo and Hugh are two of my favorite literary characters.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stop talking about Dragonlance in the Dune thread you retards.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I loved the Dragonlance books when I was 14-15. I tried to read them as an adult and noped out fairly quick. The books are fairly unreadable if a person has continued to read while growing up.