Elric Saga Acquired for TV adaptation

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>

It has been a looong time since I read the books. As usual, I hope they don't fuck it up.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
So in the book the protagonist is an albino warrior, which means the show will have a transgender black woman. Can't wait.

• 5Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I don't really see how they can do this show without removing most of the really bizarre fantasy stuff. GoT had a huge budget and is mostly non high fantasy outside of dragons/walkers which were mostly done in small doses for most of the show. That's not how Elric is lol.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Errf where are they going to find a 7' tall albino who looks like he has AIDS to play Elric?

elric_of_melnibone_by_jeffdee-d4d9wir.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Worf

Rime

<Donor>
This would work so much better as an animated series in the 90s/00s Aeon Flux style.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Errf where are they going to find a 7' tall albino who looks like he has AIDS to play Elric?

elric_of_melnibone_by_jeffdee-d4d9wir.jpg
Not to worry, our superiors in Hollywood have decreed that "acting ability" is all that matters. Elric will be played by a teenaged Afrcan American girl with a spunky attitude. Cause she has "acting ability".

These books were too over the top for me to even get into as fantasy, and I generally read any fantasy regardless of quality. Hell, I read all the Dragonlance stuff and all the Drizzt novels. Translating these to live action TV seems like a retarded idea. I'm guessing this will be Dungeons & Dragons the movie in quality.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not to worry, our superiors in Hollywood have decreed that "acting ability" is all that matters. Elric will be played by a teenaged Afrcan American girl with a spunky attitude. Cause she has "acting ability".

These books were too over the top for me to even get into as fantasy, and I generally read any fantasy regardless of quality. Hell, I read all the Dragonlance stuff and all the Drizzt novels. Translating these to live action TV seems like a retarded idea. I'm guessing this will be Dungeons & Dragons the movie in quality.
You can read Salvatore but struggle with Moorcock?

iannis

Musty Nester
You have to read them as short stories. It's what they were, he just mashed them into book form.

It's why Eric never changes though and the pacing is so weird.

He hit some high fantasy peaks though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You can read Salvatore but struggle with Moorcock?
I wouldnt say struggle. More like kept trying to see past the over the top, everyone is basically a god, power levels to find the interesting story I kept reading people talking about. Was never able to find it. I dunno, maybe I should try them again, its been about 10 years.

I listed Salvatore specifically as the worst fantasy I've managed to finish and find something enjoyable in.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's not a character development type of story. It's a clash of the titans type story.

You're probably too old for it. Elric hits home best at like fifteen. It's just a raw power fantasy. There is no subtlety in the entire thing.

There is however, it you want to go fishing for it, a lot of creativity and the seed for many sword and sorcery cliches. Other people took his idea and made it better.

But it's really very flat. Good, but flat.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Also when he wrote the early stuff fantasy was basically just Tolkien and Conan.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hawkmoon would have been a better choice.

I'm surprised Hollywood hasn't jumped all over "nomad of the time stream: the land leviathan" where Africa is the height of civilization since it was never colonized by whitey, a black army is conquering the world to fix all the problems whites created and white Americans are all racist.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Elric and The Black Company are the two series I've always wanted to see on the big/little screen. Unfortunately The Black Company is probably doomed with Eliza Dushku supposedly working on an adaptation.

As stated, Elric is a lot about when you read it. Not just your own age, but the year as well. He wrote that shit in the 60s, and I read it as a junior high kid in the early 80s. It was fucking awesome. I still want to blow $10,000 on a realistic replica of Stormbringer, for no other reason than that Stormbringer is essentially the fucking progenitor of all "special" swords, and was fucking evil to boot! Sure, if you read it today, it lacks in a LOT of ways. We're used to authors like Sanderson and Abercrombie spending 300-1000 pages to tell us an epic story. Moorcock sometimes told you a great fucking story in 30. You filled in the blanks of a lot of background lore, because he didn't get to spend 200 pages building up the world. He might have 2. And it worked. I'm not trying to pull a "back in my day..." thing, because I love many of the books of today. But it was a different mindset back then, and if you had nothing else to compare it to, it blew you away. As said, it was mostly Conan and Tolkien, and Edgar Rice Burroughs, that were writing similar books. Tolkien clearly had his own style, but Conan and John Carter of Mars would be almost direct competitors for the market Elric was aiming for (although John Carter was much earlier than all of them). Honestly, it is possible that a Sanderson might have flopped back then, because it wasn't what people were expecting. Tolkien wasn't even anywhere near as long.

Anyway, point being, while I know it kind of falls flat if you read it today, this is purely a nostalgia thing for a lot of us. Clearly it would need to be "updated" for the current expectations of fantasy series, although I hope it doesn't get a full on Game of Thrones treatment either. It should be shorter and more visceral and brutal, and even disturbing. This is someone who literally slaughters people and dedicates their souls (that are stolen by Stormbringer no less) to the gods of Chaos in order to further his own power and personal gain! He lusts after his cousin, kills his family, etc. Sure, they had a lot of that shit in GoT, but pretty much everything except Dany's retarded decision in the final season was based on politics and lust for power. Now that I type it out, I have to think GRRM was an Elric fan, since a lot of those themes were already dealt with decades before with Elric. Unlike the people in GoT vying for political power, Elric is more a victim of fate, trying to survive but pretty much fucking things up and making them worse at every turn. Until he's had enough...and then gets fucked in the end anyway!

I will die happy if they keep the ending the same as it is in the books. Talk about your fucked up ending. Game of Thrones and that bullshit TV ending is an afterthought compared to that. As with when The Black Company comes up, I am a HUGE Elric fanboi. Sorry!

Arioch! Arioch! Blood and souls for my lord Arioch!

• 3Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, modern Hollywood doesnt have the balls or skill to do this right. It has so many hurdles (besides the cost it will take to do it) to overcome. Except for Moonglum, and the ship captain from the young kingdoms (name escapes me) none of the characters are "likeable". You arent supposed to like Elric. Rakhir I suppose (it's been a long time).

There arent a lot of words written (as someone already said), so writers will need to flesh it out. Ugh. Law and Chaos are the two poles and there is basically nothing in between. And they arent good and evil. Law isnt "good". Law is stagnation. Chaos isnt "evil", its change. The Corum books explain this in detail. And or course, Stormbringer is a soul devouring demon who eats everyone Elric cares about.

Yeah, much as I want to watch this... it will be a trans female eskimo who sees the error of its ways by the end of episode 1 and goes on a quest to save the world from Melnibonean privilege.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users