Email Service

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 21h 19m
How many people that aren't already super donors would want email service with an @firesofheaven.org email address?

This is something that somebody brought up and it is feasible for me to do. I just assumed nobody would want that.

It isn't super trivial and would take up resources so I would make it for the super donors and that tier would be open. You would have it for the life of the forums however long that is. I am thinking 2GB of data per mailbox.

I would of course not have access to your data in any way.

Reactions: Chanur

Olebass

I'm a lead farmer.
<Donors Crew>
30d 19h 16m
I wouldn't mind one but probably not for ideal reasons.
I would use it to create more social media primary accounts to shit post(legally more or less) on so when CNN/Clinton goes to doxx me it just leads back to here with my insane thoughts, post history and the risings of Mario.
I would then be shielded behind a canary defense system to know when shit has hit the fan and to grab my snickers bars and run.
Win/win for me. I assume it has already happened but they could quickly see I have nothing for them to exploit or take. So now I sit by at night and protect my cats from the dangers of barbells.

My actual email usage through 5 primary services combined is only about 5 outgoing, 400 incoming(mostly transaction data) and 100 spam emails a month. I have 6 email addresses from ISPs that have been bought out years and in some cases decades ago that for whatever reason still function to this day even though the company is long gone and I was told years ago would become inactive.

All in all if it was available I would probably use it, if not no big deal. I'll stick to my long list of insight, twc, spectrum, gmail and yahoo shits.

• Solidarity
Reactions: Rangoth

Noodleface

Delicious Noodles
<Medals Crew>
22d 10h 52m
What are the chances of just having a foh email address that forwards to my regular Gmail? Is that even a thing that exists?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again!
<Donors Crew>
15d 19h 52m
I'd get one if available

Sludig

<Donors Crew>
24d 45m
Ties into the cutting google cable thread eh eh? Forget what $ super donor is. Not sure whether It'd be google for shit and foh serious or vice versa.

Sulrn

Deuces
<Donors Crew>
I'd be interested.

If GamerGate becomes a thing again, I would like my gaming email to not get arbitrarily cutoff by Google's PC police. What's the policy of those that are getting banned. Would email access be linked to forum access or can you have one without the other?

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 21h 19m
I'd be interested.

If GamerGate becomes a thing again, I would like my gaming email to not get arbitrarily cutoff by Google's PC police. What's the policy of those that are getting banned. Would email access be linked to forum access or can you have one without the other?
We could make them independent but as of right now only three? people are banned that aren't bots.

2 of those have made threats against a user or overtly worked against the forum in some capacity
1 did a chargeback when he was infracted for spoiling game of thrones

Reactions: Cutlery

Sulrn

Deuces
<Donors Crew>
Is this remorse?

You don't have to justify to me why people are banned or not banned here. You already have a transparency thread or two for that. I just wanted to know whether or not they were going to be treated as separate utilities in case I eventually get stressed out to the point of letting a troll popularity dog pile trigger me into johdi'ing into a temp ban again.

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 21h 19m
Just to let the people know that were interested in this that I am still looking at options.

Gmail managing it would be $5/mo per email but I know a lot of people would want it to avoid google.
Amazon managing it would be $4/mo per email.

Me managing it would be "free" but let me tell you that running an email server is a pain in the dick.

So I am looking at options.

Mario Speedwagon

Shitpost Plumber
<Moderation Tools>
27d 5h 32m
Just to let the people know that were interested in this that I am still looking at options.

Gmail managing it would be $5/mo per email but I know a lot of people would want it to avoid google.

Me managing it would be "free" but let me tell you that running an email server is a pain in the dick.

Don't a lot of other email services filter emails from self run servers to the spam folder or block them entirely? I remember reading something about that when I looked into this some years back.

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 21h 19m
Don't a lot of other email services filter emails from self run servers to the spam folder or block them entirely? I remember reading something about that when I looked into this some years back.
Not when you do it properly which is what is a pain in the ass.

I ran our own server completely managed by me before we switched to this physical server. It took me a long time learning everything and getting it just right. That was with only me using the service so no spam was going out and our IP was never blacklisted as a result.

With multiple users on it I can't imagine how many issues I might have.

Sulrn

Deuces
<Donors Crew>
As much as I would like the gmail security apparatus, +1 for not going that route.

I would hate to think what would happen if the forums got any sort of notoriety and people tried to get the site blacklisted based off of some of our more colorful content.

sadris

<Donors Crew>
53d 18h 3m

mailinabox

or

fastmail

?

suineg

GOLDEN GOD
<Donors Crew>
33d 21h 19m
mailinabox

or

fastmail

?
I did a mailinabox server and it's fine enough, I might spin one up again. Fastmail I am not sure does webmail well? I think it's more for outgoing newsletter type things.

StJesuz

Graybeard Lurker
<Donors Crew>
23d 1h 9m
Check out roundcube it was dead easy to set up.

I'd be down for an email.